Reviews for Hell or High Water
AquaMermaid6 chapter 41 . 2/27
I love this story so much. Thank you so much for writing this. I love family/friendship bonding fics and they're always so hard to find. This story makes me so happy seeing all the GLaDOS and Chell bonding moments. I loved the moment where she sang a reprise of "Cara Mia!" U So adorable!
And I loved the moments whenever Chell sassed GLaDOS, and in turn, GLaDOS's reactions to them. Especially that part where Chell smacked GLaDOS and GLaDOS turned around, going "EXCUSE ME!" Makes me laugh just picturing that! XD
And Wheatley pretending to be dead was pretty amusing as well. XD
I also LOVE how you incorporated the birds from the DLC. YES. So much yes.
~~~
Now, I know this is an old fic, but I'm gonna list some of my nitpicks anyway, if that's okay.
— How is GLaDOS overcoming that "Itch to test" that is hardcoded into her mainframe? Did she somehow get Doug to modify that code and alleviate that for her? (If this was explained somewhere and I missed it, please forgive me.)
— I'm not really understanding how merely keeping shields up killed GLaDOS, and also WHY she would go down in such a (honestly sort of pathetic/anticlimatic) way. I understand that she was protecting the facility and her friends/family, but it's not like shields were her only defense. I dunno, I just think it would have added more drama and been more epic if the Combine actually got into the facility and GLaDOS got hurt or killed fighting them off. Or if they even tried to airlift her off to steal her technology. I just can see a lot of interesting opportunities for an epic scene if they invaded the facility. GLaDOS trying to put them through test chambers and killing them with acid pits and turrets, them disrupting the facility's functions and how that ends up affecting GLaDOS. Then they all drop dead once Chell gets the virus uploaded but when she returns, it's too late for GLaDOS.
— I also wish there was just a LITTLE bit more to the ending. It was a bit abrupt. An epilogue of sorts would be nice. More explanation on what she plans to do with this android body, how she's gonna continue to run the facility like this. I feel like it's possible she could even make a compromise in which they fix up her old body with the parts and she is able to switch between the bodies at will.
— Another question I found myself asking was WHY does GLaDOS needs Doug to do certain calculations and things for her? I mean... she's a supercomputer hooked up to nearly everything in the facility. And for anything she's not hooked up to, he could just connect her to it.
— And this last thing is just a minor thing, but the little side plot of the Black Mesa woman being Chell's mother seemed incomplete... a loose plot thread that never quite got tied up. It just seemed a bit odd to not explore it more, considering the overarching theme of family throughout this fic.
~~~
That about wraps up my review. Again, I love this fic so freaking much. Seriously, great job. Bravo. It put me in a great mood last night and all throughout work today, and I am constantly picturing scenes from it. I need more cute family/friendship GLaDOS bonding fics in my life.
8 chapter 2 . 2/2
I read this long ago. Thank you for writing this, it makes for an ephemeral but happy moment. When I recall Portal, I remember this too.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/22/2016
Every detail captured perfectly. Also, Half-life 2! Lots of little things I could praise about this, but I really just want to go read the next chapter!
GooBall chapter 42 . 2/25/2016
"F*cking cake!"

Good fanfic!

-GooBall
ArtofthePlate chapter 41 . 9/30/2015
This is definitely one of the top-tier Portal fics. The tension and character interactions all felt real, you made me laugh and cry, and the ending felt very satisfying.
I'm not familiar with the characters of Half-Life, but their presence was appreciated. My one question is: if Mossman was Chell's mom, what about the Easter-egg in the bring-your-daughter-to-work-day room hinting that Chell's dad was an Aperture employee?
I don't know if you've written a sequel, but in my head I'm imagining Gordon and the others finding Aperture and meeting Chell and Rattman and the bots.
I love this story.
ArtofthePlate chapter 26 . 9/29/2015
Well, the fact that he didn't even think about saving his own skin when the turrets hit him shows that he's already improving.
ArtofthePlate chapter 25 . 9/29/2015
Fact Core, yay!
Oh, GLaDOS and her one-track mind. She just doesn't get that Chell doesn't care about test protocol and qualifications.
By the way, in an earlier chapter GLaDOS referred to herself as "us" instead of "me." Is Caroline still there? Because up until then, I was lead to believe not.
ArtofthePlate chapter 22 . 9/29/2015
I had no idea Wheatley being dead could be so hilarious.
But he turned off the homing beacon. Will that mean problems?
ArtofthePlate chapter 20 . 9/29/2015
You made me tear up over the frikin' space core. And made me laugh again right after. You are truly a master of your craft.
ArtofthePlate chapter 18 . 9/29/2015
So much Greek Mythology. At this rate, I hope the Oracle Turret makes an appearance.
Speaking of turrets, will any defective black ones show up?
ArtofthePlate chapter 15 . 9/29/2015
She wanted to catch Chell at her best. It's not a victory if no effort was needed.
And GLaDOS gets a taste of what happens when people try to treat emotions as logical facts.
I find it interesting that she apparently felt pity for the Combine victims. Though denying it is completely in character. Will we find out how her initial reunion with Doug went?
ArtofthePlate chapter 12 . 9/29/2015
OOOOOOOOHHHH YYYEEEEAAAHH!
Yes! So much yes!

Okay. Calm.
Firstly, you nearly made me wake my roommates because I was laughing so hard. As soon as Rick said "it is on" I got a mental image of the two of them fighting... By rolling forward slowly until they hit each other and rolled away again... Well, I thought it was funny.
"His name was Rick." I see what you did there.
Secondly, I WAS RIGHT! Rattman, yay! I love stories where he and GLaDOS interact. And their discussion on avian parenting made me giggle.
ArtofthePlate chapter 8 . 9/29/2015
At this rate, I'd take Orion and his nerd-speak over Wheatley any day.
ArtofthePlate chapter 7 . 9/29/2015
I didn't know it was possible to love Space Core so much. You've turned him from a somewhat-sentient running gag into an actual character. He's so cute!
Oh boy, this is getting good. Can't wait to find out who the people talking are. I suspect that one is GLaDOS, and it would be cool if the other was Rattman.
ArtofthePlate chapter 2 . 9/29/2015
You got me with that first chapter. I had my suspicions, with the repeated quotes and everything, but as soon as Wheatley was unwrapped I went, "oh, it's going to be one of THOSE stories."
Boy, did you prove me wrong. In a good way.
So, you noticed that the song is everywhere too, huh? I've heard it from the Companion Cubes, from waking up after Wheatley flies into space, during the Space Phase menu track, and I think it's in the background of the song that plays over the Hard Light bridges, too, at a much lower pitch. I'm happy that someone besides me heard it!