Reviews for A Different Perspective
beMMADfabulous chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
"Because, believe it or not, Mr. Carson, you could very well be Major Bryant trying to get a leg over, and I might as well change my name to Ethel because I haven't dared to tell you no."

I'm not going to lie, after reading that line, I had to sit here a few moments and compose myself (with tears threatening, mind you) before going on. So powerful. So poignant. My heart breaks for her. See how powerful of a scene you can write?

"Elsie, my dear, if I ever got you pregnant, we would leave service immediately, and I would work day and night to provide a good, decent, respectable home for you and our child. I would never abandon you, for this or any other reason. Surely, you realize that by now ... after all our years together."

All I can say here is leave me be and let me swoon.

Wow. This was awesome.
18tilIdie chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
I ended up rereading this story after the beautiful one you just wrote for Valentine's day and realised I hadn't reviewed, bad, bad me because this is vey good. your writing style especially the doubt filled first part is very very convincing and the lovely resolution even more so, all so terribly in character. Thanks guys!
MMADfan chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
I am very glad that Mrs Hughes taught Carson a lesson, and that he took it to heart and realized the implications of what he had said - and perhaps became a bit more sympathetic toward Ethel as a result, too.

I'm sure that Elsie was quite hurt and angry by what he said - and when I saw it in the episode, I wanted to give Carson a stern talking-to, I'll tell ya! - and I'm glad that she acted on it rather than just either letting it fester or letting it pass.

Great plot bunny, and I'm glad you responded to it!
Miss Puppet chapter 1 . 10/28/2011
*grin* Look whos getting sucked into the world of Downton Abbey!

Lovely story ladies! When I watched the episode I thought, well, its obvious theyre not together yet but you wrote it in such a way that their relationship became a possibility against the background of the episode.

Im happy he was eventually able to ease her worries.
Batwings79 chapter 1 . 10/28/2011
Very well done. An interesting examination of double standards...I have to say that I was really onboard with Elsie when she was all 'put out' with Charles and was going to teach him a lesson...and then I began to see it from Charles point of view and understood that his relationship with Elsie was a little different in how it developed. So again, I am faced with the fact that the world really is made up of 'infinitesimal shades of gray' and nothing is really 'black and white' or 'right and wrong' as we would sometimes like for it to be.

I did enjoy the fluff at the end and it just goes to show how much more resilient women are as compared to men...I mean, she spent just as much time 'making it up to him' as he did 'making it up to her' and yet she was able to be up and about the next day...men just have no stamina for the long haul! LOL!

Good Job! More stories, please! ;-)
cookie-moi chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
Aww. Charles having an angry Scotswoman on his hands. :D

I love how he makes her see that Ethel's fault and theire reationship are two completely different things. Sweet man.

And "Hehe" for Elsie exhausting him in the end. :D
ellie987 chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
Interesting take on the Ethel issue. I like the way you've filled in with the missing scenes and I really like the angst you've created between them. However, my fave part was reading what each of them thinks of the other. So sweet!
Catwoman99 chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
Superb as always! You write these two characters so well. Wonderful job!
frakcancer chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
I'm so glad someone is calling Carson out on that little bit of misogyny! Now if only someone would remind him that when Charlie Grigg was in town not only did he feed the man from the Downton kitchen, he also put the man up in a Downton cottage without asking anyone.
Onesimus42 chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
Thank you. That was lovely.

So realistic for both their thoughts, and that Charles sees their relationship as being very different from Ethel/Major Bryant.