Reviews for The Long Shadow
TwiningsGirl64 chapter 15 . 8/24
Apologies for the lengthy review. But I feel its well worthy of one.
This was so well constructed. I love the warmth and sincerity of their initial friendship, and the almost painful yearning they had for each other and for all the things lost or missing in their lives. And how quickly the friendship grew into something more. To the point where Caroline's fellow nurses, likened them to Lancelot and Guinevere.
That Christopher seemed especially vulnerable at the time, suffering not just from his war injury but he was also in the early stages of grief over the death of his father which obviously increased his susceptibility and need for comfort.
That Caroline was so disconnected from her husband Charles, and disappointed they didnt share the same sense of fun and do what normal couples do like go on picnics, out to dances and he had no interest in her hobby of bird watching.
I love the way she gained that instant connection with Christopher when theyd gone to his house together and learned of his love of books and his almost hero worship of Captain Jack Harkaway. As she had also read the books, that was a shared connection they could both enjoy and cherish.
I also adored your description of how Christopher felt the first time he kissed her. Likening the rush of it to diving into cool water on a hot summers day.
Its no wonder they became intimate after that kind of passion.
Would love to believe that the gentle and softly spoken James, was a result of that passion
rather than the result of Charles brute force
And you cleverly managed to follow the canon, leaving James's parentage exactly as the writers intended, ie: up to the discretion of the audience.
Whoever the father, what I loved most was that in the end, Caroline did truly love Christopher and the fact she wanted and believed that the child she was carrying was Christophers and not Charles', showed the depth of her love for him. I also loved how Foyle, despite his own deep pain and suffering,
made himself available to James and provided the necessary words of comfort needed. I especially liked that he didnt dismiss the possibility of being James's father, when asked. Because through that honesty and compassion, he gave the boy hope. Hope that there was a happier and much brighter future ahead. And thats all Caroline wanted for the child as well. The hope for a safe and happy future
So very well done ladies, and thank you :)
maryjoeh chapter 15 . 1/8
Really enjoyed this - it made a wonderful background to the televised story. Thanks for all the insight.
Bellairian chapter 15 . 1/2
This is the very first Foyle's War fic I've ever read and it's just wonderful. I love the backstory you've written for Christopher - honorable and poignant and even quietly humorous now and then and very much in character. Love the historical detail too; it feels just right.
Katinka31 chapter 15 . 12/3/2015
Oh, what an amazing story! I watched this episode for the first time last night and was blown away. I love the thought that "Jack Harkaway" came from her time with Christopher. Just beautiful writing - thank you!
Rhonllor chapter 15 . 3/22/2015
Beautiful story. Really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting.
red2013 chapter 15 . 4/30/2013
good story.

utopia chapter 15 . 4/21/2013
GiuliettaC chapter 15 . 3/24/2013
Charming and loving and vulnerable and stoic and sad. This is why we're so intent on writing him back to happiness!

Thanks to you both for a moving and engaging story that fills so cleverly some of the frustrating gaps left by the Foyle's War canon.
GiuliettaC chapter 14 . 3/24/2013
Nooo! Stick with him! In 20 years he'll be very well-heeled and STILL gorgeous...
GiuliettaC chapter 12 . 3/24/2013
Charles, you swine! Grrr.
GiuliettaC chapter 10 . 3/24/2013
OMG! He has a history of failing to pull back from the precipice! Good job he doesn't drive...
GiuliettaC chapter 6 . 3/24/2013
Aha! Residual pain in the left shoulder, hence discomfort when handling a gearstick! All becomes clear. How ingenious!

"Situational ethics" - wholly approve ;0)

Loving this tale, and the best is yet to come!
Anon chapter 15 . 9/14/2012
Thought this was a great backstory. Always wondered if Charles somehow found out she was seeing someone and that's why he killed her. Wonder if Foyle feels responsible for her death. Again, this was great!
Persiflage chapter 15 . 8/11/2012
I've finally made time to read this! *feels guilty at taking so long*

An interesting story. I have to say that I don't believe Foyle is Jack's father so I was glad that you didn't say definitely one way or the other. (I believe Foyle acted as he did because he had loved Caroline and he'd have done what he did to save Jack even if he'd known for sure that Charles was Jack's father. As you say, it doesn't matter who Jack's father was - Caroline was his mother, and Foyle had loved her.)
Guest chapter 15 . 7/2/2012