Reviews for The Omen
Deandra chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
Interesting! Are black cats considered “good luck” in Britain? In America they are considered bad luck when they cross your path. At any rate, a charming tale, with a visit from the oft-neglected eagles even!

- Deandra
Virtuella chapter 1 . 10/30/2011
This is a great collection of superstitions, very suitable for Halloween!
Darkover chapter 1 . 10/29/2011
Dear Linda: Thank you for posting this story just in time for Halloween! I would have enjoyed reading it at any time, however; I thoroughly enjoy your stories about Aragorn and Faramir. IMHO, no fan author portrays their friendship quite as well as you do. As usual, you did not disappoint your readers. The plot of this story is simple and enjoyable, the style nicely descriptive, and the characterization delightful. I especially enjoyed your use of Dame Ioreth to warn the King of bad luck. Her line, "Well, do not complain that Ioreth did not warn you if you die this day!" was quite funny-if Elessar dies that day, he is not going to be able to complain to anyone! Faramir is polite, but his hastening to ride away from the dame lest she talk all day, was equally amusing. The conversation with your OC of the tailor was good, too-and I thoroughly enjoyed Faramir's observation that the black cat must have foretold good luck for his tailor, and Elessar's comment that what is misfortune for one may be good for another, and so it is no wonder that people turn to omens to make sense of things. BTW, while I personally don't believe in omens, to a certain extent I believe in luck, good or bad, and it seems to me that if bad luck is headed your way, then it will find you whether you are tempting fate, or at home hiding under the bed, so you might as well live your life the way you want. I had heard of the superstitions regarding ravens and black cats, and I would not be at all surprised if, as Elrond suggested, the ravens' tendency to frequent battlefields accounts for that superstition. But I thought a black cat crossing a person's path foretold *bad* luck. Of course, as Faramir and Aragorn learned, that hardly matters! Thank you again for writing and posting this most enjoyable story. Have a great Halloween! Sincerely, Darkover
JuliaAurelia chapter 1 . 10/29/2011
Oh Poe! That is a good poem to use for us American readers especially, as it is taught in nearly every high school lit class (I remember reading it in 8th grade.)

We have omens about black cats crossing your path being bad luck too, but nothing about ravens that I've ever heard of.

I liked how you had Aragorn so engrossed in his herblore that he missed both the snake and Fara's cry.

Ok, safely home to ladies and the kids now, gentlemen! And Fara had better think of the best time to visit his tailor :)

All together, a nice tale for Halloween. Just one tiny error I saw, "Are you certain it is just an old wife's tale?" he said-I think you meant old wives' tale? That is the way it would be written on this side of the pond, but I don't know if it follows the same for you in Britain.