Reviews for Death Speaks
tallsunshine12 chapter 1 . 1/17
Highly poetic! A very touching look at a being - death - who has a soul of his own and, sometimes, takes an interest in humanity. Hogan seems to be the only one who can hold death at bay, for himself as well as for his men. He's almost an anti-death character. Many great lines: fires burned, candled by bombs; chocolate flak smoke; deep turquoise seas and deeper sapphire skies, to name a few.
Tuttle4077 chapter 1 . 6/16/2021
Wow. What an interesting story with a unique point of view. There were so many powerful phrases and passages that it's hard to single out just one. Excellent work!
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/17/2014
Nice work on this one!
FloatingPizza chapter 1 . 6/27/2014
Somehow I missed this one when it was published, and wow, I skipped a treat. I love the Book Thief so, so much, and you've captured Death's voice incredibly well here, from his world-weariness to his color-rich descriptions. You integrated episode references wonderfully, as well, and Death's perspective certainly put a fresh spin on things, so to speak.
... going back over the story once more, I must compliment you again on capturing the distinctive voice of Zusak's narrator. Your title is indeed appropriate. Also great work on illustrating Hogan's strength and spirit, even without dialogue. Great job!
Pantherfan16 chapter 1 . 6/7/2012
Awesome story, I loved how it was all from deaths POV, my favourite part was how death mentioned those that hogan had saved, that was a brilliant touch and added meaning to what Hogan does. Very well written story!
ME chapter 1 . 11/13/2011
I don't leave a lot of reviews, but this caught my eye. A well thought out piece from an unusual perspective. Thank you for an original read.
Firefall chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
A wonderfully tender and gentle approach to Death's journey through the war. Hogan's responses were so very true to his character. a very well done story, facinating and warmly eerie if they can go together. I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned but am certainly going to find a copy.
emeraldarrows chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
Utterly fascinating. I love the unusual POV and tone. Very well done!
Six of Twelve chapter 1 . 10/31/2011
Wow, what a great job! You stayed true to the tone of The Book Thief with it fitting well with Hogan's Heroes.
last1stnding chapter 1 . 10/31/2011
Very good story. The unique perspective was done very well.
konarciq chapter 1 . 10/31/2011
I've heard of the book; haven't read it though. But no matter what, you do a marvellous job in getting into the character of "death". A voice so gentle that it becomes longing - and yet he is happy for those whose meeting with him is postponed.

Beautifully done. Thank you.
jodm chapter 1 . 10/31/2011
An extremely powerful, well-written story with a most unique point of view. Thanks!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 10/31/2011
I really enjoyed this piece. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but you drew me into the plot nicely, giving very human, and even compassionate, characteristics to something many people fear. I particularly enjoyed Hogan's reactions to death in the various situations in the story, hating it, shuddering at it and ignoring its presence. I also like how Death respect for Hogan grows over time, and how he's not anxious to take the Colonel just yet.

I really enjoy your writing style, by the way. You have a really understated, yet compelling voice.
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 10/31/2011
Very nicely done! Wonderful characterization of Death. I especially liked him marveling at human progress, how fifty years ago he hadn't swept souls from the sky. And I liked his gratitude to Hogan for lightening his load, and his growing respect - almost affection - for the man who crossed his path so often. I'll have to see if our local library has The Book Thief.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/31/2011
I knew about that book and now I know I want to read it! The voice is perfect. I love that deft style. Death is so perfectly characterized and I wish this wasn't the end of the tale! It's all so quiet and still. I love the way Death is like a person and we see him almost interact with the people he is near - like Hogan "feeling [his] breath down his neck." Bits like that were beautifully creepy. Bravo, Goldleaf, for another fantastic story!