Reviews for The Key to Berchtesgaden
St PA chapter 4 . 11/2/2011
Plot is thickening as the old adage goes. Very nicely written. One request though - could you have translated the German; there was so much of it and affected Langenscheidt's assessment of Hitler/Carter. I don't speak or understand German so all the comments by Langenscheidt and Hitler/Carter are lost to me. I don't have a clue or feel for what was happening and I really would like to know what was being said. Some authors put the English translation in parenthesis either after the end of the German words or at the end of the paragraph. I appreciate those methods vice translations at the end of the chapter(s) because I can immediately see and relate to what is going on. Thanks.
jodm chapter 4 . 11/2/2011
What a great twist! I had a feeling that Langenscheidt and Danzig were the same person, but that's certainly going to spell trouble for Carter. His imitation of Old Scramblebrain is just too good! Love this story!
inhonoredglory chapter 4 . 11/2/2011
Oh, cute that Kruse got to take a jab at Klink in the beginning. I love you smoothly went into Langenscheidt's viewpoint. Poor Karl! All of a sudden he's so sympathetic. Love that German scene; so sharp and realistic-feeling. I used Google Translate to get the most out of it. Though I think you did good by not having translations anyway.

But poor Carter afterwards! That little scene sounded so real, too, almost heart-wrenching in the serious issues it alludes to (Carter's easily being German characters; feeling sorry for Karl). The quiet close of the scene. I think this chapter is my favorite so far.

And now to the finish - boy, what an ending! I love Langenscheidt the good guy. But I guess it's because it's actually Danzig the fake German. This is really good now. Great job!

Gotta love the equally entertaining footnote!
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 4 . 11/2/2011
I love it that Carter is able to convince Langenscheidt that he's the Fuehrer! On the other hand, it almost got Carter assassinated by the Master of Disguises. As it is, I have a funny feeling that he and Langenscheidt are going to have a close encounter soon that neither expects!

And now that I think of it, Hogan and his crew were wise to search everyone entering the supposed Fuehrer's quarters. Langenscheidt might not have been the only guard in camp considering exterminating Hitler.
snooky-9093 chapter 4 . 11/2/2011
Cheers to you for this proverbial fly in the ointment in this chapter. And your very entertaining note at the end...This is getting juicy.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 3 . 11/2/2011
The great thing about Carter ala Hitler is he's such an over the top character that can't help scoring a ton of laughs with those literally snappy one liners. Of course the risk with that is going too far, but I think you've stuck a great balance between mad cap and implausible. I'm amazed at how brave Klink was through this, trying to correct the Fuhrer twice about his name. He must have been feeling pretty confident about his perfect record, that is until Carter ordered that body search to find the key to his 'little cottage.' :)

Great scene setting as dust says. Looking forward to seeing how you'll muddy the waters with this plan.

P.S. I'll have to see if I can find that series you mentioned. Believe it or not, I hardly get any British TV where I am. All you can get is Coronation Street and Dr. Who, and even Dr. Who is tough to find.
ColHogan chapter 3 . 11/2/2011
Carter is really playing his part in this chapter. I loved it when Hogan came up from under the stove and grabbed 2 chicken legs for himself. And the variations of Klink's name is hilarious! I have never heard so many different names, not even in the series.
dust on the wind chapter 3 . 11/1/2011
Ha, things are going far too smoothly...I'm expecting any moment to see them go splendidly pear-shaped.

This is so well-written - the dialogue flows perfectly naturally, and you've really created a sense of place and occasion; I'm getting a very strong visual from it.

dust...
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 3 . 11/1/2011
Oh boy, Carter's got the great lines in this one! I loved:

"I am the one who will govern the Thousand Year Reich from its cradle to the grave" (how true that was, btw)

and

"I know about the war, Pink. I started it myself!" (how true that was too!)

Poor Klink! He's fretting himself into a tizzy.
snooky chapter 3 . 11/1/2011
Hahahaha! How many times can Carter mess up Klink's name?
inhonoredglory chapter 3 . 11/1/2011
Love how Hogan takes the food coming in; so typical! How cute that Newkirk keeps asking about how Carter is doing. How funny how you can continue to mangle Klink's name! And the clincher - "Stink" Oh, LOL!

I just can't imagine Hitler saying "my beauty sleep." Just plain goofy, but I can see Carter saying something like that. And I love how you call the Heroes by their fake names.

Golly, Hitler's neighbors - how quaint. This is too ridiculous (and therefore hilarious!). So canon feeling, too! Great last line, as well!
jodm chapter 3 . 11/1/2011
Fink . . . Blink . . . Wink . . . Stink . . . Love the variations Carter comes up with for Colonel Klink's name. I'm still laughing over them. Carter makes a very convincing Hitler: "The Fuhrer doesn't lose things!" No, just a war. This is one terrifically funny story.

Sorry, I haven't seen the Canadian TV series you mentioned-it's not on TV around here, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy.
St PA chapter 3 . 11/1/2011
Your story is so entertaining. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to comment. Looking forward to the next chapter(s).
jodm chapter 2 . 11/1/2011
This just gets better and better! I can picture Klink's reactions-he gets flustered so easily and, true to form, doesn't even seem to realize he's being taken in by his own POWs. Carter's last line was so great-maybe the others will share some of their steaks with him!
inhonoredglory chapter 2 . 11/1/2011
LOL, I was waiting for Schnüffis to do a double take on Kinkel's news. Love how you wrote it all inside Kinkel's head ("the receiver, dial a 1 and...")

It's crazy how the narrator is totally not in the story ("warp speed" [where'd the sci-fi come from!], "it made him eminently suitable to pose as...") But it works out wonderfully! I especially love the way you led into Sgt Kruse's fake name.

Gotta love Schultz's reaction to the news and Kruse's snappy demands. And Carter-Hitler's first line of dialogue. And the cuckoo clock! Even the word itself sets the stage for funnies!
166 | « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 .. Last Next »