Reviews for The Key to Berchtesgaden
El Gringo Loco chapter 6 . 11/5/2011
The already high tension and intrigue of his story, has just increased at least ten fold. Based on the events of chapter six. I really wouldn't want to be any of a certain four people when a certain Colonel gets ahold of them. And while it might seem like the mess just created could be straightened out easily. This being Hogan's Heroes, I sure wouldn't bet much on it. In fact given the sentiments of the day. I'd probably bet more on someone deciding to forgo the plan. And to use an American expression - decides to "Get a rope." I'm really looking forward to seeing how the author works this one out.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 6 . 11/4/2011
Too bad Hogan left out the stove entrance when he planned for guards. Those underground ninjas were scary, invading the tunnels like that! Poor Carter never knew what hit him, and the new Hitler never had a chance to see just who it was his team had kidnapped.

So presumably Danzig has taken Carter's place. But since he doesn't know he's supposed to be Carter, I can imagine his encounter with Kruse and Schwarz in the morning will be interesting.

What a pickle. All they need is for the real Hitler to show up, with or without a nightgown.
inhonoredglory chapter 6 . 11/4/2011
Gah! What a LOL of an opening line. And the "neverending personal monologues"...

Oh, my what suspense! When I got to "the hated man in the bed" it suddenly clicked. These guys were out to kidnap the "Fuhrer"! Nice writing in this stage - "like a ship in full storm" and the parallelism at the end. The last line threw me for a loop, though. It almost sounds like Hitler was the leader of the intruders. Ahem, maybe that's what you meant... Oh boy. Probably one of the many you promised would come...
ColHogan chapter 6 . 11/4/2011
Oh boy. Poor Carter. Hogan is not going to be happy when he discovers his man is missing. And now that Carter has that mustache glued to his face, he'd be hard pressed to prove he's not really Hitler. Here's hoping Danzig gets in touch with Hogan about sending 'Hitler' to England and finds out it's one of Hogan's men.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 5 . 11/4/2011
Loved Langenscheidt's heartfelt farewell to his sweetheart. And what is he *really* planning, if not the kidnapping of the Fuehrer? I am really anticipating seeing how he intends to carry out his mission! Poor Carter...

For St Pa and others who like to have everything translated: there are free online translation services such as Google Translate, which have their faults, but still allow you to get the gist of a statement in a foreign language within seconds. Just copy and paste the entire sentence you want translated.
St PA chapter 5 . 11/3/2011
Saw your note - thanks for the translations in the review area. FYI I tried to translate the conversations using a German/English dictionary but gave up because it was so difficult and frustrating. I searched for each word in the sentence; had to determine which translation was appropriate; and to add insult to injury, I couldn't find some of the words. This research lasted only for the beginning five (5) short sentences/phrases. I gave up not even attempting the longer ones. Also, what I did come up with didn't make any sense to me because I didn't know what was happening and what was being said to influence the characters involved. If I may interject - your reasoning for not translating because of its non-importance to the story is your decision as the author. As a reader, I felt left out of the loop - for example: (loosely using your translation) Hitler/Carter telling Langenscheidt to be quiet and emphatically "get out" is of interest to me - now I know exactly what they were saying to influence their actions and reactions. As always, thanks for listening.
jodm chapter 5 . 11/3/2011
Another great chapter! The more convoluted this stpry gets, the better and better it gets-two sets of plans, both hoping for similar outsomes-the end of the war. I love Carter's Hitler imitation-he's so believable. And Langenscheidt-perfect! Now if only he and Hogan could share their plots!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 4 . 11/3/2011
Here's my reviews for two chapters together:

Chapter 4: You've laid the groundwork down for the coming complications nicely in this chapter, particularly with the scene between Carter and Langenscheidt. I really enjoyed the footnote as well.

Chapter 5: Once again, Carter's in fine form. My favourite line: "Hallo – Johann? Ja, this is the boss.." LOL, he almost sounds like a movie mobster.

My favourite scene, however, is the last one, where 'Aunt Effi' and Maryse reunite. This line, in particular, got me: "you know that I prefer to have something tangible to worry about – instead of having to worry at random." How true it is, a reminder of how the imagination can be more cruel to a person than real life, and of how hard it is for those who are left behind when their loved ones take on dangerous missions.
snooky chapter 5 . 11/3/2011
I didn't know about the windmills. Thanks for the history lesson!
inhonoredglory chapter 5 . 11/3/2011
"noodle of a Kommandant" Too good!

"don't forget to feed my parakeet" LOL!

Nice narrative transition to Newkirk, showing who indeed was on the line. Love how Newkirk "turned off the laughter." Turn on the drama!

And I love it when we go in Langenscheidt's viewpoint. What a realistic asthma scene! And a splendidly fascinating footnote!

Gosh, that last scene was breathtaking! I'm glad you finally cut the he/she notations. But I guess they were there to add humor to a pretty serious closing half of the chapter. So thrilled to see a love for Langenscheidt. I simply adore the emotion and implicitness of this wonderful line...

"And he took her in his arms with all the desperate passion of a man who knows there is every chance that he might be dead at this hour tomorrow."

Wonderful chapter!
ColHogan chapter 5 . 11/3/2011
Oh brother. Poor Carter, especially if Danzig is successful with his plan. Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Hope Hogan finds out in time to keep Carter out of trouble.
Tzuzuku chapter 4 . 11/3/2011
Oh, sweet. I had fun reading this, and now I'm really looking forward to whatever plan Langenscheidt comes up with. It has to be good and Hogan is going to be so surprised when it goes down. *lol*

The scene between Carter/Hitler and Langenscheidt worked out well. Especially the switch from "du" to "sie" form. It was a good decision doing it that way. ;-)
ColHogan chapter 4 . 11/3/2011
Looks like Carter is doing his impersonation TOO well as he's fooled Langenscheidt who is really Danzig and could cause trouble for Carter. The ending is rather ominous sounding, and I hope Hogan can convince Danzig that this Hitler is not really old Scramble-brains himself before there's trouble.
konarciq chapter 4 . 11/3/2011
To St PA and anyone else who would like a translation of Langenscheidt's little language test:

"Es wird ein schöner Tag heute," / It's going to be a nice day today.

"Ich habe selbst auch einige Jahre in Berlin gewohnt. Gefällt Ihnen die Stadt? Oder ziehen Sie die Ländlichkeit Berchtesgadens vor?" / I've lived in Berlin myself for a few years. Do you like the city? Or do you prefer the countryside of Berchtesgaden?

"Haben Sie keine Sorge, mein Führer. Nun, da wir Tageslicht haben, werden wir Ihren Schlüssel schon bald finden." / Don't worry, mein Führer. Now that we have the benefit of daylight, we will soon find your key.

"Du blöder Idiot! Halt's Maul!" / Shut up, you stupid idiot!

"Das einzige, was Sie hier machen sollen, ist, den Tisch zu decken! Also machen Sie hin, und lassen Sie mich in Ruhe meine Pläne schmieden!" / The only thing you have to do here is setting the table. So hurry up with it, and let me work out my plans in peace.

As I said in the opening notes of the first chapter, I would only give translations in the story if it was vital for the reader to know exactly what was being said. All you really needed to know here was that Carter's German was good enough to convince Langenscheidt he was a native. But exactly what was being said has no influence whatsoever on the story - hence the reason I didn't give a translation.

And since I still don't want to mess up that funny footnote at the end with another one, I figured I might as well give the requested translation here!

But now that we do have an extra review-footnote, I can pone my other question as well. Can any of you experienced Danzig-readers figure out what Langenscheidt was doing in Paris at the time Carter first played Hitler in Stalag 13? LOL
dust on the wind chapter 4 . 11/2/2011
Oh, dear - the trouble is, Carter's just too good at his job...

I can see this becoming gloriously messy, very quickly.

dust...