Reviews for Session Transcripts
mauralee88 chapter 14 . 2/7/2012
Excellent chapter. Hermes, the poor thing. Well written insight into his life.

Severus is brilliant, and so darn sweet.
mabidiso chapter 14 . 2/7/2012
Just had a thought. Perhaps Hermes isn't entirely muggleborn. Perhaps her mother is not quite as magickless as thought. She might not have enough magic to become a witch, but there could be enough there to be twisted to a purpose. Maybe she had enough magic to answer a strong wish. Perhaps that magic worked on the child in her womb, making a female where a male should be. I even wonder if she could be conscious of her descent from magical beings. Maybe she has some knowledge and she did something consciously, some ritual or magical artifact that could do the job. I could just picture her being told by the doctor during an ultrasound that her baby is a boy, and then the plots and plans would start and an obsession would form. Or, maybe it is as "simple" as it seems and the mother has no hand in Hermes' physical condition. Loved that she was able to accept comfort from Severus and Milicent. Severus' interviews with the remaining Dursleys was something else. Harry's not a real person? What else could a child think from seeing what his parents did to him all throughout their lives? If he thought Harry was a real human, and was treated that way by his parents, he'd have severe Stockholm Syndrome or something. He'd do anything not to be perceived by those monsters as they saw Harry, and then turn their evil onto him. Severus' punishment of Petunia was lovely, but I don't think it's an earth shattering, life altering choice. Typical Petunia would look at it as "those freaks" harming and damaging her son. Not that Dudley's afflictions match what she and Vernon did to Harry. I don't think she would accept responsibility like that, and apply the lesson as Severus intends. Perhaps if he has her undergo Harry's life as if she was Harry, feeling every blow, every hateful word, all the darkness and hunger, perhaps?
mangagirl64 chapter 14 . 2/7/2012
Amazing Story! I just love it. will Hermes and Millie become a couple?
decembersonnet chapter 14 . 2/7/2012
I love your version of Harry so much! I just want to cuddle him! It sort of reminds me of a little autistic girl I used to have in a class I taught. She was much lower functioning (she couldn't speak), but she was the most beautifully happy and sweet child.
umino-gaara chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
I was sad to see Dudly being punished for his parents misdeads. He's just as much a victim of their abuse as Harry, just much more subtle.
TerraBerra chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
Dear lastcrazyhorn,

I've been enjoying this story very much from the beginning. Your manner of developing your plot is sophisticated - especially considering you do most of it using dialogue/transcripts. I'm glad that you show the session transcripts of mostly all the first years in all the houses - it's an excellent idea, adds realism, and it's really cute to see how gossip circulates throughout the students, and how each of the different students is affected by other students' actions.

My one problem: I agree with McGonagall's opinion of Hermes, and unfortunately the section from her point of view did nothing to convince me otherwise.

There have always been women who prefer "masculine" activities (Leslie in Bridge to Terebithia, Maggie in The Mill on the Floss, Jo in Little Women), who resist their mothers' attempts to turn them into young ladies. Witness your Hannah Abbott. These women grow up to combine their "womanhood" and their "masculine interests" to create vibrant and unique personalities.

When Hermes's personal life was still a mystery to us, I was willing to accept that she might feel like a boy trapped in a girl's body. However, finding out that her big secret is merely that she is really, really a tomboy and her mother really, really wants her to be girly (ok, yes, to a crazy degree) is disappointing. That doesn't make Hermes transgender. That doesn't cut it for me.

Furthermore, I find it disturbing that an eleven-year-old decided on her own that she was the wrong gender, even a bright eleven-year-old like Hermes. (Or maybe I'm underestimating Hermes.)

I have a hard time believing that children think like that. I also have a hard time accepting that the "good" adults at Hogwarts (McGonagall is clearly the odd, old-fashioned one out) believe the best course of action is to accept this child's decision that though she was born a girl she really is a boy.

Not that I believe that breaking her habits, or whatever, is the best way to go. Of course, her underlying feelings need to be addressed, and of course she can go on reading and playing with Lincoln Logs and whatever she likes to do (except if it causes harm to herself or to someone else), and the first year girls should be given special instruction against bullying. The point is that Hermes is HERSELF, even if she likes to do 'boy' things, even if she likes to dress like a boy and keep her hair short, even if she prefers to go by a sexually-ambiguous nickname. Only then will she really be true to her own unique self.

Especially since it seems most likely to me that the intensity of Hermes's masculine preferences stems from a deep-rooted issue with her mother. I hope that is what Severus will focus on in working with her.

Is there more to the story that I'm missing? Is there more you haven't revealed yet?

All of the above is solely my own opinion, and I hope not to offend anyone by it - certainly not anyone struggling with their identity, nor anyone with a loved one struggling with their identity. My thoughts are based on what we know so far of Hermes's background and the construction of her gender.

~ Terri B.
vundrwld chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
Hermes shell is starting to crack; I hope Severus can continue to help him. I'm not sure what to say about Petunia. I love the sweetness between Harry and Severus. I so look forward to each of your updates; this story is wonderful.
Robert chapter 1 . 2/6/2012
You know... I don't usually go for the whole "Let's make the characters different genders, totally messed up, or other major departures" type stories, but I gave this a shot and I gotta say, I really am enjoying it... you've pegged Severus quite well and I laughed out loud at the line "I think I'll just have Draco scrub the entire dungeon... with a toothbrush".

Well done. :)
soldier B chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
I rather liked this chapter. You did a fantastic job of tugging at my heartstrings with Hermes' section without going completely overboard on the angst (very easy to do, unfortunately, so kudos to you for dodging that entirely!). Dudley's part (and Petunia's as well) had just enough squick! to drive the point across as well. Though the 'revenge of the mother' spell...personally that puts several toes over my tolerance level of squick! but that's just me... Harry's part...my insides melted into a puddle of mush at the cuteness, both purposeful and the accidental. The sobering part of that part that brought it to new levels of awesomeness was where Harry was struggling to answer with as much of himself in the here-and-now as he is currently capable of.

And I completely agree with the 'less is more' thing. Though it doesn't change the fact that I'll always be ecstatic with an update!
etienneofthewestwind chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
Not entirely sure of the punishment Snape gave Petunia, but it does seem like something that would fit the Wizarding World.
yavin4 chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
*whistles* Powerful, very powerful. Love how Hermes' story is moving. 'My peace after the end of a very long week.' Yes, that would be Harry. lovelovelovelove
templar627 chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
Wow, just wow. This story seemed like it would be a horrible story but the characters just seem to leap off the page. They are all very realistic and have good character traits and bad character traits. Harry is especially great to the story, where when bad things happen you can expect him to bring the mood of the entire chapter up. This is truly and amazing story.
mabidiso chapter 13 . 2/6/2012
Oh that sweet child just about breaks my heart. How many Harrys are there in that poor boy's head? If there is one for each dramatically traumatic thing done to him at the Dursleys, there would probably be hundreds of them. It's truly interesting that there even exists a pre-AK scar Harry. He would be at the most only 15 months old. And as Hadwyn noted, the slightly elder Harry, with the scar, was wounded, in pain, already absorbing the horrifying impact of the Dursley's words along with the blows to his tiny body, and weighed even less than younger Harry. Denying a hungry child food when it is readily available is as heinous as hitting his defenseless little body. I can't even imagine how the mother of one child in that house could stand by and watch a second child in that same house go hungry and be in obvious pain. I'm with Hadwyn - I wish so hard that someone could have helped Harry sooner. At least things are finally looking up for him. I hope. Minerva McGonnagall is an interesting piece of work. Nipping it in the bud, is she? Trying to break Hermes of bad habits and dangerous behaviors because they go against the laws of nature, do they? What kind of fundamental hypocrisy is this? New spells, potions and other magics are discovered or invented/created all the time in her world and era. So, prior to these inventions or discoveries, her "laws of nature" would not have allowed certain things to occur. With the new advances, things previously impossible can become the new standard. I think Miverva needs a good old fashioned shock to her system to knock the nonsense out. I love that touch you added that frees Vince to relax a bit and even frees him to excel in class. I'm sure Draco would have been thrilled at the control he wielded over Vince's life and persona if he knew. Draco's sadness about Severus was actually quite touching. He's such an ass and so destructive and hurtful, it's easy to forget that Draco's a young kid. And he's being led down the nasty primrose path by his own father. It's no wonder at all that he can't see that it's his own behavior that has caused him so much grief and isolates him so much.
Nightshade's sydneylover150 chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
Poor Hermes. Are we going to find out exactly what his family did? Will Severus be able to get him out of that house? Will anyone other than some of the students, Sev, and Harry's healer realize he isn't a girl?

So what is everyone getting for Christmas? Looking forward to more. And I agree sometimes less is more! Wonderful chapter!
WereBunny87 chapter 14 . 2/6/2012
Awwwww! So cute! I wonder if Harry can make Hermes feel better? :3 I look forward to more!
2,250 | « Prev Page 1 .. 83 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 103 .. Last Next »