Reviews for A Change in Perspective
Nate The Ape chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Another wonderful story. Here are my thoughts on it as they came: OMG Toby! I love Toby! And I love the idea of Tobias and a reluctant Ax being her tutors.
Interesting spin on how Jara and Ket didn't need to have Tobias tip them off to his presence or let them know what sort of creature he was, but instead saw and knew he was the hawk right away. OMFG, the Hork-Bajir can see Dust, and hrala is their word for it! That is brilliant, brilliant work!
So if your personality is settled, you attract far more Dust. Interesting.
So the Hork-Bajir's ability to visually notice Dust is either laughed off or scorned as bull crap by the Yeerks. I feel both kinda sad about that, yet that that's also probably just as well. But I'm surprised no Yeerk has ever decided that there actually might be something to what their Hork-Bajir host is saying about the golden sparkles streaming through their vision.
Interesting that it was Cassie, not Rachel, who morphed Jara in your fic. I have a vague suspicion of where you're going with that difference, and if I'm correct, it's VERY cleverly done.
«And all Hork-Bajir can see it?» I asked.
"Yes. But no Yeerk listen. Yeerk care about body. Yeerk not care about story, about hrala. Jara Hamee not a body. Jara Hamee have hrala too." Such a powerfully written line. Love you Jara.
"I have too much free time, as a hawk, and when the spaces between hours gape like chasms, my thoughts drain away to places I wish they wouldn't go." Another astounding line. Nice look at how his mind and Ax's are differently rooted.
Your descriptions of Tobias seeing Dust, first when the Ellimist appeared to him, and then when he morphed Ket for the plan, were astounding. "They were cocooned in it, glowing so brightly I could barely look at them. And when I looked down at myself, I was surrounded by it too, so wrapped up in me I could have sworn it was under my skin. It was beautiful. It was overwhelming. And it was familiar."
Every time I read this part, I can't help but be reminded of that song "Woodstock," or more precisely, the part that goes, "We are sunlight/we are golden/" Beautifully done in every way.
"And losing you, El. Again." Be right back please, tearbending in progress.
"They smiled their great goblin grins." Yet another great line.
Loved the discussion between him and Ax about the mystery that is hrala and how it relates to anything touched by self-awareness. Again, super cool that a daemon can acquire a morph for someone in your AU.
"You had a lot when you told the story. So does my father when he tells stories. I think the hrala likes stories." Reminds me of how the jailer, Gregory, in The Tale of Desperaux, tells the titular mouse, "Stories are light." :)
The Arn were certainly very wise and brilliant, producing a race that would be stewards of both the trees and Dust on their planet.
«You're not a mistake, Toby. Or if you are, you're a good one. Not everything good has a reason. Sometimes things are just right even if no one meant them to be that way. And that's OK.» Once more, an awesome, lovely paragraph.
Another A-list fic!
WargishBoromirFan chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
The way Hork-Bajir can see and redirect Dust in this 'verse makes for some really interesting potential consequences - I keep thinking of Fullmetal Alchemist's shapeshifter Envy vs. the Xingese who can sense the flow of chi. Thank goodness the Yeerks seem to be ignoring this potential feature of their hosts...

And mistake or chosen level with which to move the world, at least Tobias is trying to *choose* the right thing, which is all that really matters.
Wyvern-Sorcress-Myra chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
Huh. I liked this. Actually, I think I might write something similar to this, but with a TV show I like. Summer
AnAnimorphFan chapter 1 . 11/3/2011
I found this randomly today, along with the rest of your series so far. And I have to admit that I absolutely love it. The characterizations seem to be perfect, while at the same time adding the daemons into the world. I hope you continue to write these!