Reviews for Lessons With Hagrid
ashez2ashes chapter 1 . 6/7
I LOVE this. You've captured this perfect whimsical ironically funny tone. Also, Hagrid brick is my new favorite pairing.
Phoenix-Inferno18 chapter 1 . 5/21
Loved the ending
SmartKoala chapter 1 . 5/15
That was hilarious. I haven’t laughed out loud reading a fanfic in a long time :-) Thanks!
This was so bloody hilarious! You made the whole Go-on-and-on-about-Hagrid's-creatures trope work and I've never seen that happen successfully before. The brick was inspired. Brilliant job, mate, absolutely ruddy brilliant.
charm13insomnia chapter 1 . 5/5
Bloody awesome
Charlie0925 chapter 1 . 5/1
I LOVED THIS FIC! Truly brilliant, brilliant writing here honey! ;o)
ComicalEpiphanies chapter 1 . 5/1
Oh god, I’d forgotten how much I love this one-shot! I stumble across it every couple of years. Hands down one of my favorites of all time. Thank you!
Panther2G chapter 1 . 4/29
A brick, eh? Lessons from Rincewind.
EarthScorpion chapter 1 . 4/29
Taking the idea that Hagrid was trusted to hide things back in the Philosopher’s Stone and running very far with it, this short story covers the… unusual instruction in Occlumency that he gives Harry.

Not all stories are sprawling epics in the tens or hundreds of thousands of words. Lessons with Hagrid is short, sweet, and to the point; a story which knows exactly what it wants to do and does it. Too many other writers would be lured into providing unneeded details or spinning such a thing out - something some community are specially prone to doing - but this story is a wonderful example in knowing exactly the story you want to tell and telling no more.

Firstly and most prominently, it is literally laugh-out-loud hilarious. No, I’m not being figurative here. It really is that funny. Better yet, it’s funny in a way you could read in the series itself. The humour doesn’t come from out of character behaviour or tired references - it’s pure Harry Potter (barring one bit that I strongly suspect is, ahem, “borrowed” from Discworld).

In fact, more generally Lessons with Hagrid should be praised for its original flavour feel. The prose reads Rowling-esque, and while it’s not perfect, it covers the whimsy and flair of the original work. Hagrid in particular feels like the original character, and given that this is what the work is structured around, that serves its purpose.

Its very focus leaves it far less susceptible to criticism. It doesn’t sprawl, it doesn’t waste words, and every scene in it is there for a purpose. It sets things up, and then it produces a pay-off for every element that it sets up. If it was a longer work I might criticise it for how easily the dark lord is defeated - via a literal brick joke - but that’s the fundamental premise of the short story. Going into it and expecting melodrama is a fool’s errand.

In the end, it’s an excuse to have Voldemort attacked by all manner of weird and wonderful creatures from J K Rowling’s work, and in the end, isn’t that all something we need more of in our lives?

Summary: Hilarious, perfectly paced and incredibly tightly focussed. Just read it. It won’t take much time out of your day.

Rating:
Tobi chapter 1 . 4/28
I love this
MapleTears chapter 1 . 4/28
This is so good you don't understand! The dramatic irony of Hagrid knowing Occulemcy is absaloute fucking gold, and the incorporations of magic creatures as a mental defense mechanism is so cool. Living for your interpretation of the dark lord my dude
wildtrance chapter 1 . 4/22
This absolutely gorgeous.
Pecan Crisp chapter 1 . 4/17
I accidentally read "Fuck you, guv" as "Fuck you, guy", and now I can only read Jarvey's in a South Park-esque Canadian voice. Thanks for that.

Excellent work, though.
WhiteDogwood chapter 1 . 4/15
I like the brick. Left me laughing.
:D that was great. Thanks!