Reviews for Five Birthdays
Rachelea chapter 1 . 4/6
Love the characterizations. Thanks for the heart-wrenching ending, too... :)
librarywitch chapter 1 . 9/12/2013
Well done.
JoyRose10 chapter 1 . 4/6/2013
Mycroft's was my favorite. He needs someone to be close to...
FarGreenCountrySwiftSunrise chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
Really good stuff. Thanks for writing this.
Anini mouse chapter 1 . 12/1/2012
I loved them and the last one was so sad!
KivrinRue chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
that ending! Poor John and Lestrade!

good thing I've read the ACD Cannon, or I'd be more mad at you right now. Great story. :) I loved Molly's part. I feel so bad for her every time I re-watch the episodes again ;_; All of these were quite perfect in their own way, but I definitely found Molly's the most interesting. Thanks for posting! _
Arisprite chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
Lovely, and at times so, so heartwrenching. Gah,, you always do this to me. Wonderful, keep up the amazing work!

Ari
Feej chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
wow, fantastic! You take such care in making your characters come to life. I love how much you can say with so few words, and the suggestion of feelings, movements and thoughts, sketched out in mere sentences, amazing! I love all of these!

I also like the fact that you pick the unknown characters, Molly, Sarah, Mike, i love that! And even Anthea starts being a real person when you write her :)

Keep it up!

Cheers
The Red Fedora chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
very nice:) I don't think Sarah really is cut out for John. It takes a special girl to put up with the potential threat of kidnapping, eccentric detectives and a significant other in constant danger. Nice addition of Molly.
editor frog chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
Yes, well, very well done (even the last one, and we all know what happened to ACD "after" the Reichenbach incident, don't we *wink*).

I particularly liked Molly's story; I would think that particular day would hold that earth-shattering shudder that will forever crawl through her spine.

I like the last tale too, even though we both know it doesn't "really" end as sad as you let on. Right? (*wink*)

Mycroft's was interesting, especially his assistant's note: "This isn't because I'm your assistant." Somehow, I think there's a "thing" there, that can't be explained (much like John and Sherlock's relationship, and I don't mean the kind most people dream up for them). I like how you explore it; please continue.

Kind of curious as to how Mrs. Hudson would celebrate a birthday. I can see John, at least, having a cuppa with her. Maybe a scone too. (Sherlock, of course, would be otherwise engaged. He'd find it "boring.")

Also wonder what Sherlock would do if John did give him a birthday present. Whether he acknowledges the event or not, I can't see Sherlock turning down free stuff. Especially from John. :)

Looking forward to your next work!
Jodi2011 chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
These are simply, perfectly, lovely.

I love how Sherlock explains himself for Mike, yes, he is learning. And the last, with John and Lestrade... two sad and lonely men.

John shrugs. "What possibly could surprise the great Sherlock Holmes?"

A fall, Lestrade thinks.

- it made me laugh, then cry.

CrazyCousinEiko chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
I love these. I really do. I saw this in my inbox this morning and told myself that this and a few chocolate chip cookies with a tall glass of milk would be my reward for surviving my bio presentation. -

I think my favourite has to be Mycroft. Best quote-

"You've survived another year. Well done you. But memento mori, brother mine." Sherlock really is a brat. :P

But the whole idea of the tart (which is SO in Mycroft's taste) and him allowing himself to savor it for so long (something I admit I did with those cookies) is very much in his character. Despite his faults, he really is a good man and has his heart in the right place- at least, most of the time [or so says my head!canon XD]. I also love how he allows himself to have that break even though he doesn't put himself high on his list of priorities.

I must say, the ladies didn't have it too well for their birthdays. Poor Molly and Sarah. :'( Even though Molly is a bit air-headed sometimes, she's a sweet lady, and I really do feel badly for her. She seemed happy with Jim. And Sarah... I like her, but I admit that with John and Sherlock's bond, it's difficult at times to see him falling in love with anyone else.

I loved Mike Stamford's piece. He seems like a guy I'd like to know better. And very huggable. XD I also love how Sherlock corrects himself somewhat in order for Mike to see that Sherlock was not meaning to belittle him- at least, not in the same way he does most people. :P

And the end... Awww... Poor John and Lestrade. At least they have each other to be friends with...

The only thing that I would have liked to see was Mrs. Hudson, mostly because I love your portrayal of her. That and I'd love to see what she does. Perhaps reads The Gashlycrumb Tinies and other favourite novels? ;) Of course, then you would have had to edit one of the other stories out, and these were all so good that it would have been a shame.

I've had SUCH bad writer's block lately, and I've had to work on a bothersome project for bio, so this was a great pick-me-up! - Hopefully I can get a little writing in soon... after I go finish the Japanese homework I just remembered is due tomorrow! XD

Have a wonderful day! Hugs, lovely! :D
owl-eats-waffles chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
Brilliant, funny and moving. There's also something incredibly poetic about how elegantly short these vignettes are- it's really very inspiring!
X chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
this whole set of stories was excellent. perfect characterisations, wonderful imagery.

that last set of lines, though, from number five- /ouch/. brilliant, but a swift punch to the gut.

thank you for posting!
khorazir chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
Can't really add anything beyond what Sidney Sussex said who summed up my thoughts and feelings perfectly. Lovely, lovely fic. I'd love to have a bite of that tart ...