Reviews for Ulterior Motives
Tear of Light chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
This was another great story deathcurse. Funny, cute and just plain awesome.

Keep up the great work. :)
yurimylove chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
This is a nice addition to the HxV files, and it's actually a very "realistic" piece, I think. This conversation could almost happen in the real world, instead of the anime/magic/Nanohaverse that it takes place in. Vivio has put in a lot of thoughts and considerations about her future, not just potentially with Hayate but also her own interests, career, etc. It does sound quite mature for a 14-year-old, but then again Vivio has always been a precocious child...

Now my only question is - how come NO cute girl ever applies to intern at my Infinity Library, EVA? _;
Major Mike Powell III chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
Well, well, soldier...

This was very interesting!

Leave it to Vivio to study for exams while working out. LOL That's the Vivio we all know and love!

And of course, Lu-chan being there to support her and walk her through her decision. O

I absolutely went LMAO at Vivio being excited over the explosives training. LMAO I totally agree with Lu-chan: Like mother, like daughter! XD

Oh yeah, and when I read "Battalion 108", I inmediately thought of Task Force 108 from "Ace Combat: Assault Horizon". Man! I NEED to play that game! A

And so, we finally know how Vivio made her decision, and I got a good kick outta the ending part, with the rank card. ;D

N-I-CE work, marine!

Semper-Fi! Carry on!
DezoPenguin chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
Nice little fic! Always good to see some HxV Files action.

It's interesting-my first thought upon reading the story was that you were kind of doing a shout-out to Shadowverse by way of contrast in using Lutecia as Vivio's friend. Then I was reminded that canon (SSX and ViVid both) shows that Lutecia and Vivio are friends.

Showing Vivio weighing her future career options not only does a good job showing the progress from canon!Vivio through to Files!Vivio, but does nice work in setting out the way in which this version of Vivio thinks, the way she winds up a Special Forces op the way we see her in Shigan's stories (...which haven't been posted here yet...).

Lutecia's advice was good. I liked the way she walked Vivio through things-she was very friend-like. I do note that I don't see very much of Lulu's character coming through in her lines-she's mostly a foil for Vivio (with one exception below): she prompts and Vivio answers, or Vivio tells a line and Lutecia cracks up (which is good-it helps to illustrate their friendship that she can catch those lines and laugh when Vivio stumbles into one). That's not a particular problem, though, for this kind of story, so long as she doesn't actually violate any established character, which she doesn't, because her role supersedes her character in a story this size which focuses on Vivio (the major point is that Vivio's dialogue is different in talking to Lutecia than it would be in talking to, say, Fate-a mother-or Corona-someone Vivio's own age).

...you know, combining this story with "Prerogative," I get the impression of Vivio as being very unsure of herself, uncertain of things-or maybe that's just the "Hayate effect" at play, since her crush plays into this decision and so therefore she gets completely off-balance with it.

The ending bit with the final flashcard made me think two things:

1) Vivio looks a little pathetic here, in that she seems to be able to spot the Ground Forces insignia associated with Hayate's previous and current ranks because they're Hayate's ranks...like she'd be able to name Hayate's favorite food, favorite car, favorite music, etc., etc., like a fangirl.

2) Lutecia can do card magic, can't she? The flashing of Hayate's rank seems like a deliberate way of teasing Vivio by saying, "See, here's your future" following her decision...and you mentioned earlier, before Lulu showed the Colonel insignia, that she shuffled the cards, implying that this was also part of her teasing (this was, by the way, the exception I mentioned above w/regard to Lutecia's own personality not coming through). Come to think of it...you added an extra shuffle to her last line here, didn't you? _-