Reviews for Memento Mori
Sb4ever chapter 1 . 11/11/2014
Love your writing. The flow is wonderful traveling from character to character scene to scene all woven together with your narrative. Wow!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/12/2014
Bamboozlepig, you have done it again...keep these stories coming!
Georgshadow chapter 1 . 11/2/2012
Another one of my favorites. I remember I read this one before I’d seen “The Dinosaur,” and watching that episode after reading this really drove it all home. It didn’t occur to me until the end of the episode that I’d heard that character’s name somewhere before, but then in the episode’s final scenes when Pete’s talking to McCall, I’m sure I must’ve audibly went “OHHHH.”
As for the fic itself, I think your present-tense, ‘in the moment’ kind of style really strengthens a piece like this. Fleeting moments in Pete’s life are better shown in a short oneshot like this than a long narrative. I feel like this is the kind of story you were MEANT to write. It’s not just an observational character study, it’s a statement on the human condition.
PeteFan chapter 1 . 7/19/2012
Bam, I don't know if you're still active in the fandom or not, I don't know if your health problems have forced you to give up writing, but if they haven't, PLEASE, I beg you, POST SOMETHING NEW TO THE FANDOM! It desperately needs your quality works that are not borrowed from the show or stolen from other writers. I review for you under another name (my secret I'm keeping for now), and I just want you to know that you are seriously missed on here! Would love to see you come back and kick some butt and show some of these people how it's REALLY done as far writing awesome Adam-12 stories that are great original reads. So here's hoping you can boot your muse into creating something for us, you are sorely missed on this site and I keep hoping you'll return with a new story that will blow the crap on here out of the water.
TnJAGAz chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
Memento mori - what a powerful story - very well done. I think you perfectly captured what a person - an officer goes through when they find a fellow officer dead. Very well done indeed. Bravo.
Stacie Williams chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
I just wanted to say what a good story this was, I love how you capture the emotions of the characters so well in your work. This was a very thought-provoking piece and it was very beautifully done. My husband enjoys your stories as much as I do and he wants to tell you thank you for presenting what life is REALLY like for police officers, you get into the heart and the nitty-gritty of police work and bring out all the horror and humor and hell that it entails, and we both appreciate that.
ltjvt1026 chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
4.0 job. 'Nuff Said.
ShakespeareCop chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
I've been reading in not only this realm, but also Emergency! and Dragnet, and I'd say hands down that you are probably one of the best, if not THE best writer in all three of Jack Webb's fandoms. You've taken a very real issue, suicide among law enforcement officers, and you've treated it with dignity and respect, while driving home the fact that it's never an easy situation for a police department to handle. In my years on the force, we had a few suicides, and it wasn't easy to deal with, that's for sure. I really felt for Pete, especially in his rookie year, because in my rookie year, my T.O. and I handled a shotgun suicide that wasn't very pretty. You've gotten into the heads of the characters very well in this piece and brought out their emotions, even the difficult ones they're not ready to face. What I like about your work is that you're not afraid to tell it like it is, and you have an impressive knack for pulling the reader right into the scene with your vivid descriptions, forcing us to become Pete Malloy so that we see what he is seeing, experience what he is experiencing, feeling what he is feeling. That is the work of a true master writer, for there is nothing dull or one dimesional about your writing or your characters at all, you bring the story to life so beautifully and realistically that it's an amazing ride for the reader to read your stuff.
Matt S chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
Another good story, Bamboozlepig, you brought up an important issue that is common in our field but not often discussed. A couple of years ago an officer in a neighboring department killed himself and his wife, along with their two little girls, so it really does happen on this job. You're a damned good writer and you have plenty of fans in my police department, and what we'd like to know is how the hell you manage to make fictional characters seem so damned realistic because your Pete and Jim could be actual guys on my force, they're that realistic. Anyone who tells you that you can't write or that your stories are too graphic, they don't know what life is really like as a cop. Another thing we like about your stuff is that you don't do those stupid romances that focuses only on Pete's or Jim's love life or married life instead of their jobs, and when you do have romance in your stories, it has good hot sex and not that gooey teenage fantasy crap.
Ginger S chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
Woman you need to change the character names...add a little bit to make it longer...say 60,000 words and get this published...and that's about as good as it gets! FINE JOB!
SukiSugar chapter 1 . 11/3/2011
amazing, Bam, just beautiful. I enjoyed seeing Pete as a rookie in this, and I definitely hope you have some more stories planned for when he was younger and before he was paired up with Reed. I especially like the way you ended it, you took us from seeing Pete as a rookie with Val, to seeing Pete as a full-fledged officer with Jim Reed, and I liked the whole "memento mori" idea, it was very fitting for this piece. Definitely a job well done! Glad to see you back writing too, we've missed you!
The Delirium Threemen chapter 1 . 11/3/2011
Loved the glimpse of Pete as the rookie. Inexperienced, but you still gave him that edge you always do. Nice glimpse of Val as the hardened and crusty TO, but underneath the death of John hitting him harder than he lets on.

The replay with Pete and Jim over Art McCall was perfect. I remember the eppy with Art McCall and always wondered how he coped after the eppy after realizing that his time as an officer was in the past. Never figured he would have handled it well. Your take on what happened to Art is something I could picture him doing. He seemed to live for being a police officer and when that was taken away...well your story answered one route that he might have taken.

Superb work as usual.

TDT
Sassy Lassie 51 chapter 1 . 11/3/2011
Well, I guess I'll be the first to review on this! You know I always enjoy your work and this is no different. You've done a very nice job with this, it's very eloquent and moving, and it really makes you think. My one tiny complaint is that there are no names to identify the characters until the end of the piece, but I'm guessing you did that for a reason. But I love your descriptions and how you get inside the characters' heads so well, not many authors can do that as convincingly as you do. I will also say it was nice to see it written from a different point of view, rather than first-person you've done it third person, and while it's often hard to write third person/present views, you've done well with it here, it flows really smoothly. And I liked the look at Pete as a rookie dealing with a suicide, then as an older officer dealing with one, it was a neat angle, in my opinion. Overall, very well done and it's good to see you back in the writing game, I know I've missed reading your work, you have got to be one of the best damned writers I have read on ANY site.