Reviews for The Thrill Of It All
Miss Amy White chapter 24 . 7/17/2013
Before I begin, I would like to say I made the (possibly poor) decision to read this story in one day.

I don't know if it was because I read it all in one sitting, but I find that the story held a bit too much angst and drama. I understand and appreciate very well that you incorporated the history of the time period into the story, including segregation and the extreme male dominance in both the household and the United States in general. The concept was utter genius, for it is very likely that there were many young girls that were treated as Tiana was; beaten and abused by their husbands and yet not able to call for help. And while the rate of such crimes have gone down, it still is a problem in modern society.

However, all of the excessive beating and degrading of Tiana's status by so many of the "inner circle" seemed a bit too much. I know that there was Travis and Charolette that didn't degrade Tiana for her color, however they both seemed to be downplayed, where they could have had a deeper effect on Tiana's state of mind. On that note, I feel that making Tiana's own mother turn against her cry of help was too . . . unrealistic, I suppose. For lack of a better word. I would expect the obvious submission from a woman of higher status, who was brought under such an upbringing and forced to submit all of her life for the sake of custom. But any true mother, having not grown with the rule of submission or suffered with it in her own marriage, would at least feel pain when she knows that her own daughter is being beaten by the man she gave her blessings to. I think that if Eudora was in denial, then she would snap out of it when she learned that her own daughter attempted to kill herself. Or when she learned that Tiana's husband caused a miscarriage and killed their baby. But much sooner, before she could foolishly run off and give away her daughter's whereabouts to the very bane of her daughter's existence for the past four years. That just made the story turn sour for me.

(I know that this is turning into a very negative review, and I wouldn't be surprised if you had stopped reading by this point. But trust me, all I want to give is constructive criticism, not verbal harm. The due compliments are on their way. Don't worry, and bare with me.)

Another problem I have is with Jacques. I know that you wanted to make him human, because everyone IS human, inside, and I respect that. But I don't believe that without professional help that Jacques would make a turn around from being the man that he was to the man at the end of the alternative ending. People do change, but his problems lie too deep rooted within himself and are far too complicated for him to begin sorting out on his own. Needless to say, I highly doubt his claims to truly love Tiana. Now, Jacques is an educated man. He possesses intelligence and thought. So I doubt that he would only JUST realize how much he harmed Tiana during their marriage after she left. He could have had the passing thought, yet chose to ignore it due to his upbringing. But the thought would have still crossed his mind before then. He just seemed too . . . simple. Honestly. It was only during the later phase of the story that Jacques gained a more complicated personality, and even then his actions were very simple, and very predictable. Jacques could have been a really good character. Better than how he was. But unfortunately, you brought in his past just a tad too late.

The final irk I have with this story is the abundance of sex. Now don't get me wrong, I'm completely fine with sex in stories, and I do understand that in the abusive relationship, sex plays a very large role. But I don't think that the average man would have the abundant sex drive of Jacques, to want to have sex every night, morning in bed, and in the bathroom. I also don't believe that Tiana would be so willing to have sex with Naveen during her marriage to Jacques. Sex had been used as a weapon against Tiana since her own wedding night; she had been treated as nothing more than a sex toy for four years. That in itself would cause a whole shitload of trauma right then and there, even without the beatings and constant degrading of her status and color. I'm honestly surprised she hadn't considered either suicide or homicide before. With so much trauma, Tiana would be terrified to have sex, afraid of getting hurt and abused like she was with her husband. I think that Tiana would rather abstain from sex with Naveen, at least during the early stages of their romantic relationship, for that very reason. Not go at it like a rabbit with Naveen every chance she got. I don't know, to me it just seemed like too much.

(And this is where the compliments begin!)

I'm really sorry that this review turned into a sort of rant, and how much similarity it has gained to a wall of text. However there are things I enjoyed about this story - otherwise I wouldn't have bothered finishing it and writing this review in the first place.

Like I said in the beginning, the plot is genius. It would never have occurred to me to include such realistic elements to the tale, and that brought a very intriguing flair to the story.

I also like the indecision you put in Tiana. While there were times where I wanted to smack her for not leaving (especially when Naveen offered her the perfect chance the first time) I do realize that having been put through what she had been through, she really would be hesitant and ambivalent.

I also love how you put in a more complicated character for Jacques. Noted, it could have come a bit sooner in the story, but it's all good. No matter how much we want the world to be black and white, it is still filled with so many different shades of grey. And sometimes the monsters we see turn out to be the very humans we fear. (Well that sounded philosophical . Moving on - ) Which is one of the reasons why I continued to read this story throughout the day.

While there were things that could have been improved (But honestly, name something that absolutely couldn't use some adjustments here and there,) I did really enjoy this story. The plot was amazing, the characters thought-out, and the outcome lovely. (Let's just not mention Jacques again though.) All of the things written in this review are meant as constructive criticism, and encouragement to continue writing. I wouldn't even make this review if I didn't believe that you do have potential to make more great stories. I will definitely be reading more of your stories, and possibly give some words regarding them as well. Have the best of days! This review is now over.
One who reads chapter 24 . 6/10/2013
Okay so I decided to tell life to take a flying leap for the day and finally finished this story. I loved it! :) just loved it! From the suicides to the adulterous eloping, damn wonderful. Loved jac's character. The little sticker weasels his way into my heart kind of like Rufus from kindred. I just loved how accurate it was. I come from a New Orleans family to, well half anyway, my mom, and the way that you interlaced greed and self hate with the bougie high yellow creole family was like taking a trip to the big easy. *cringes* I can never get over the humidity. Mi mere's side is weird...but they're not as ass backward as they would have been in the old days.
I loved the first ending. With -this may be a spoiler- jac and the hitler gun and it being his son. But it felt like it was missing something. Liked the second ending but it felt to...idk forced? No. Im just not a firm believer in certain events making ppl do a complete 180 in the asshole department. It's been known to happen but not in my life. Maybe im basis because im a romantic. With that being said, I loved this story! Best PATF story out there in my opinion. Now I'm addicted to all of your works. Keep writing babe! Oh before I forget, the stuff about your family sounds hella interesting. I wish I had journals. My family apparently didn't believe in documenting their exploits... On a lighter note, I'm going to restate that your shit rocks!
TianaxNaveen chapter 24 . 6/4/2013
This was amazing
TianaxNaveen chapter 17 . 6/4/2013
Tiana leave him and be with naveen
TianaLover chapter 14 . 6/3/2013