Reviews for Out of Season
IrishDancer chapter 4 . 11/29/2014
How tragically, perfectly logical: Susan and the Tisroc's son aren't speaking the same language.
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Yea, verily, O wisest of scribes, thou hast done an excellent job, capturing the Calormene style of speech as the fowler catches the birds in his net. Pleased am I to see the distinctions between the piety of the priestess, who fears for her milk-brother's soul should he let ambition cloud his judgment and the pragmatism of her honored grandfather, who states the kingdom can not afford another civil war for three years.
Hebi R chapter 2 . 12/21/2012
My primary difficulty with the story was the similarity of many of the names, but since that adds realism, I cannot really complain.
Margaret Armstrong chapter 4 . 9/9/2012
What a fascinating look at a country and customs barely touched upon in the Narnia books! It's true that the Prince Rabadash and Queen Susan possibility does not end well...

I love how you used Shezan as an informed eye with a conscience, and I love her choice of Ilgamuth, too. In all honesty, I'd like to see more of them.
ILoveGnomes chapter 4 . 5/11/2012
This story is fantastic. What works for me is the way you show Calormen culture and its complex court plots as well as adding more depth to its religion. You also write in formal Calormen speak very well, getting the point across without saying it.

What worked best for me though was your characterization of Shezan and how she is likable, yet not purely good nor altruistic. She shows us how Calormen see themselves and are a great reminder that the Calormen do not hate themselves, and also that they are not all evil, bloodthirsty, and power-seeking. That Shezan works for the good of her grandfather and Rabadash, and is not afraid to use plots to get what she wants gives us both the good and bad of Calormen. I also like how she comes to see Marigold as a child, and lets her go because she cannot see her as a demon.

What didn't work for me was how long the chapters were, I wish they had been broken up into smaller chunks, though that's just personal preference and I don't have any real complaints about your story, so great job! :)
King Caspian the Seafarer chapter 4 . 11/26/2011
What a great story! I love how rich it is, like a heavily embroidered tapestry of the Calormene setting. You focus well on detail, and on characterizing people by their actions instead of just describing them. I like all the names you've chosen for the Calormenes (especially Shezan's) and how you've woven in minor characters like Axartha and Ilgamuth and given them purpose and meaning.

The backdrop of the nine gods and each of their purposes reminded me a good deal of the Roman/Greek pantheons (a good thing, to be sure). I like how you described the rituals. Also, seeing Narnians and talking beasts from the Calormene point of view was really just...stunning. Poor Peridan and Susan had no idea of the insults they could offer just by not bowing far enough, or by suggesting marriage. The culture-difference was magnificent.

Oh, and Marigold was splendid. Also Shezan's subconscious change of heart concerning Marigold. Your style is very ornate and beautiful, and I enjoyed every word of this lovely fic.

Does that help narrow down what I liked and didn't? :)
mar888 chapter 4 . 11/20/2011
I loved the story. It is fun to see things from the other point... And I think your story-teling prowers can make even baking interesting.
Lionheart Rising chapter 4 . 11/6/2011
I really enjoyed this, although the chapters were a little long, but still, very good. I like how Shezan did the right thing without actually doing it, and how she ended up with Ilgamuth. You added a lot of depth to his character, although I reread The Horse and His Boy, and I remembered that he died at the end. I think I prefer yours.

All in all, very well written!

-Dryad Warrior Queen
rthstewart chapter 2 . 11/5/2011
So, I'll just comment back on your PM. Marigold does grate on the nerves because she is not the heroic or noble creature we want ourselves to be. She is how we probably would be - she is young, terrified, she is going to die, and her characterization is perfect. I really like Peridan too - because we know nothing of him, he can be anything and here he is an ambassador completely out of his depth and apparently in the dark as to his Queen's designs. I do find it interesting how repeatedly Shazan means to say something about the overheard conversations and does not.

Just an amazing, amazing story. It is one of your best, and that is saying something!
Miniver chapter 2 . 11/5/2011
I just love Marigold! And it's Peridan-yippee! His meeting with Marigold is wonderful. I do hope Shezan becomes sympathetic to their cause. One thing that strikes me is how all-encompassing the Calormenes' needs, schemes, and aspirations seem to them, yet how much less significant they appear from our Narnian-centric point of view. Calormenes think of Narnia as a backwater, while we see it as the heart of that world. I'm very excited to see what transpires. I love the details you've worked out about the various factions of the royal family (multiple wives and their sons do complicate matters, don't they?) and the intricate religious practices.

The ending scene, where we realize that Marigold is being made ready to face the worst, yet to consider that a good path if that's how things work out, is so beautiful. I love that this is when Shezan turns away. Write on! And as quickly as you can!
Miniver chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
Only two reviews for this wonderful story? That's not nearly enough. What a beautiful tale this is, rich and vivid but with so much human depth. (I'm including the beaver in this appraisal. Human isn't just people!) It's tense, yet it takes its time presenting the characters and the situations. I do love Shezan, and Marigold also. It's interesting to see Rabadash from other points of view. I can't wait to see more of the Narnians. You'd better rescue everyone, that's all I have to say!
songsmith chapter 2 . 11/4/2011
I had to review this again, because I just CANNOT GET OVER how wonderful this was (and for meeeeeee!). Your politics of the Calormene court are just so fantastic and realistic, which everyone having lovely complex motivations. Thank you so much for writing and sharing this!
rthstewart chapter 1 . 11/3/2011
Oh you know I had to comment. Yes, I know, overkill, but this is a wonderful story and what is so brilliant about it is how wonderfully the Calormene viewpoint is presented. Beavers do not talk. Therefore, it must a demon. Shezan is a terrific character and it is a pleasure to add this story to my favorites. The worldbuilding and characterizations of this story are superb. I love her relationship with Axartha. Marigold is really not a very nice beaver.