Reviews for A Sound of Thunder
GeezerWench chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
Oh my.

Wasn't exactly expecting THAT ending. Not sure what I was expecting though.

Again, you write very well, even if it is a bummer. But even being a bummer, I see the scene, I feel the rain, hear the wind, hear the thoughts in her head.

Were you born a cynic or did it develop over time? And I am not even trying to cut you down or be dismissive. Cynicism (and snarkiness - snarkyness? snark-i-tude?) requires intelligence.

I admire it. Am often envious of it.

You use it well.
Nissa-Cullen chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
It's not over though now is it? Are we going to find out what happens next?
krisf16 chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
I really liked this - though so sad. I would love for you to expand this story. Maybe with a HEA?
Twiolic chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
GASP! O.O

Well done!
LJ Summers chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
Ahhh...yeah.

You said at ADF that you might have thoughts of continuing this? I'm thinking that if she does indeed pull the trigger, and THAT is the sound of thunder heard, that suicide-by-self-inflicted-gunshot wound is not reliable, in my understanding of things. Often there is just a severe wounding, sometimes brain damage and the knowledge that one TRIED to kill oneself but failed and having everyone and their Aunt Margaret freaking out, condemning and pitying a person.

That'd be horrid.

Or she would succeed and I am not sure where you'd take this after that.

OR the thunder was, like, THUNDER and she drops the gun and freaks out and we return to status quo ante, yeah?

I'll put this on alert so I can see what you do. :)
A Happy Goodbye chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
Please, please, please continue this!

You are one of my favorite authors. You’ve got a firm grasp on canon and treat the characters with respect. Your words give them life and as a reader, I can feel their emotions. Bella’s desolation was palpable. Ending her life was the only decision she had left- the only thing left she could control. I don’t fault her for this decision. In fact, I believe it is the ultimate sacrifice- as though she is giving up her life so that Charlie will live.

I love your characterization of the wolves- the fact that they have no real understanding of the nature of vampires. You brought up points that I hadn’t thought of before when reading the books. It makes perfect sense that the pack’s sole duty is to protect their own and that Sam is simply protecting Bella so as to not disappoint Emily. In my opinion, this goes right along with the events in Breaking Dawn. Sam was willing to kill Bella and the Cullens even though the pack had worked with them during the battle with the newborns. The pack has no real allegiance to Bella.

I would love for you to continue this story. Do the Cullens return in time or will they have to deal with the aftermath of Bella’s choice. What about Charlie? How will he react to what Bella has done/tried to do?

One more thing- A Sound of Thunder is one of my absolute favorite short stories. Ray Bradbury is a genius.
linnfromia chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
I love the connection you show between Bella and Charlie - and how the ending reverberates with all the heartbreak Charlie is about to feel. Because, what profiteth it for a man to save a town if he so loses his only child? Heartbreaking. Especially since it's his gun, his teaching. I don't imagine Renee will ever let him forgive himself. And the other details, about the waiting, the moral but absent vampires, the wolves who have their own lives to lead are really very nice. Plus, in spite of Charlie's heartbreak, it's Bella being strong and protective and taking charge of the situation instead of wringing her (tiny) hands. So, oddly, positive in spite of how sad I feel. Glad to see you writing!
Sheeijan chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
Brilliant. Not that I condone suicide, but to me this makes so much sense, in the context of the story. I loved the logic you used, with the wolves having weaknesses and the vampires having endless time and patience. It's something I've considered a lot myself, how easy it would be to pick them off-especially when they are in their human form or alone. Just one bite, and bye bye wolf. I always felt they weren't as big a threat as SM made them to be, unless you're completely alone like Laurent was.