Reviews for Besotted
Blue Teller chapter 1 . 4/6
At first when I thought of it, I admit I thought like Fu - I can see them liking/loving each other, but with their situation, they could hardly be together. At least, not without 50 or so wives in the way when Ling becomes Emperor. Lan Fan probably wouldn't consent to be Ling's lover out of duty, and Ling would never force her out of loyalty. So, pretty much hopeless and better left unsaid.
But then... I started thinking about it from Greed's perspective. Not literally Greed's, I mean rather post-Greed Ling's. Greed was quite vocal with his approval of Lan Fan, and while he wanted "everything", he demanded - and I quote - "finer things". With Ling having Greed's mentality "rubbing off on him", I think Ling would've started plotting something as soon as he became Emperor. Would he have made Lan Fan his wife among 50 others? Perhaps, but maybe, just maybe... he would consider she was worth altering the tradition.
Now, before someone points out that growing up in Xing - where having multiple wives was perfectly normal and legal - probably meant developing a polygamic mindset and thus Ling would totally be ok with having Lan Fan as his truly beloved wife AND lots of other women at the same time... hear me out.
Greed can work in reverse. Desiring things you don't have is one thing, but desiring freedom from things you don't want is a type of greed too. Marriage goes both ways - while in many cultures the husband is the one dominating the relationship, both people involved in belong to each other in a sense. (Not to mention that falling in love has this curious side-effect of becoming uninterested in relationships with people other than your interest.) Let's suppose that Ling, after all he went through with Lan Fan - the girl freaking cut off her own arm for him! - he decided she was the only one he ever fully trusted and wanted to belong to. He's the Emperor and makes the rules now. He decides that tradition sucks and only creates problems (like 43 children fighting over the throne and causing civil war all over the place), so he starts planning. He might seem like an idiot at times, but he's clever, and super-sneaky. He could easily hatch a plan to overthrow the tradition without consulting Lan Fan beforehand, make very specific qualifications to be "worthy" of becoming an Emperor's wife - like proof of undying loyalty, perhaps...? Ling suckers his whole council, and behold! The Emperor of Xing can have a single wife of his choosing, and the only worthy candidate is Lan Fan.
At least, that's something I imagine is likely to happen in that universe. If Mustang can manage to become the Fuhrer and change Amestris into democracy within his lifetime, I don't see why Ling wouldn't be capable of serious reforms in his on country. It might seem unrealistic, but I think it'd be possible.
The only thing standing in the way of this head-cannon is, like I said, the polygamic mentality of Xing. Perhaps I'd be asking too much of Ling to become monogamic for the sake of one person, after years of mental preparation for all the duties and responsibilities of an Emperor. Or perhaps he wouldn't marry Lan Fan at all simply because then she wouldn't be able to be his bodyguard at the same time, and it'd be more important for both of them than a romantic relationship; sort of like Roy and Riza couldn't get involved because of the fraternization laws in the military.
...Still. I'm a sucker for happy endings, and his is a universe where things go horrible (like, I dunno, AN ENTIRE COUNTRY OF PEOPLE LOSING THEIR SOULS) before they get absolutely freaking perfect (like the Immortal God-Like Homunculus being defeated by a sixteen-year-old punching him out of existence). I say the chances of Ling and Lan Fan getting their happy ending are pretty high. I like these odds, so I'm sticking to them.
...
...Aaanyway, awesome story. Great job. Very insightful. Pretend I didn't go totally off-topic there, heh heh. xD
Best wishes,
-Blue Teller
Anon chapter 1 . 12/26/2015
you're breaking my heart and i wasn't ready
Q-A the Authoress chapter 1 . 11/20/2015
Ha! I knew Fu shipped them in his own way.

Keep on Writin' and Rockin'
Jeann1e chapter 1 . 3/5/2015
I loved this! Their story's so tragically beautiful, ugh my shipper heart.
Sofipitch chapter 1 . 6/3/2013
This was written with such beauty and mournfulness for their situation.
I particularly loved this line: "He watched them mournfully, because in a perfect world, where duty didn't exist, where maidens were free to wear beautiful dresses and be spoiled by their grandfathers, where youths were concerned only with their stomachs and their hearts opposed to kingdoms and wars, there the two might have a chance to be happy. Where princes and servants existed not, where death and suffering was peaceful, not honorable, and where all loved and were loved."
Star Crossed Writer chapter 1 . 5/17/2013
LOVE the fact that this is in Fu's POV. Very unique perspective, and I think you pull it off well. I'm working on a LingxLanFan of my own right now, and I've been wondering how to describe their relationship. In my story, it's after the series, so Ling is emperor and can do whatever the hell he wants... but that means that i need to understand the history between the two better. This gave me a lot of inspiration! Thanks!
PrettyOdd17 chapter 1 . 4/9/2013
I'm so glad you decided to make some more LingFan. The story is amazing.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/1/2012
*sniff sniff* That was so beautiful. I hope you keep creating more LingFan for the world!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/27/2012
SO Beautiful! I loved this, please don't stop writing! Make a world of LingFan!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/7/2012
SO BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE THIS COUPLE AND I LOVE THE PERSPECTIVE YOU PUT ON THIS STORY! THIS STORY IS FANTASTIC!
Fadhgridh chapter 1 . 4/25/2012
This is absolutely adorable
i-Spit-on-Fire chapter 1 . 3/1/2012
Fu is a smart old man who should not have died.
SaturnXK chapter 1 . 2/28/2012
Amazingly in-depth. Love it.
FMAlover555 i really like that chapter 1 . 1/17/2012
MAKE S'MORE MAKE S'MORE! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE? pardon my immaturity. it was wonderful _
HangingLanterns chapter 1 . 12/29/2011