Reviews for Already Burning Within
Peregrin Took the Falcon chapter 1 . 5/10
My favorite kind of poetry: rhyming, rhythmic, and depressing! That seems exactly how Denethor would have thought of the whole business. I'm going to go binge-reading all the fics in your profile now, so expect a lot of reviews.
LornaWinters chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
COOL! There are a lot of fics about Denethor's death, but as I said before, it's all about the telling to me! You did great! Much better than my first fic!
Mirach chapter 1 . 4/3/2012
Again, a beautiful poem! I hope to see more LotR themed poems from you!
JuneGilbertVivianRaeven chapter 1 . 2/5/2012
Wow. Very heavy stuff, but i think you can do better. Making it longer, perhaps? Just a suggestion.
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
Wow, that was, wow, brilliant! Way to go for a first story. I absolutely loved it. In such a short amount of words, you achieved such a huge amount; I am very, very impressed. I read through it the first time and was completely stunned – it was like being hit over the head, it was so full of Denethor’s despair and anger.

First of all, that was Denethor spot on. The language was fittingly elegant for Denethor’s character, with words like “hinder”, “a fitting end”, and “faithless Rohan”. Of course, his despair is foremost among his emotions, but even in his despair, you capture his scorn of those who still hold on to hope, as he mocks Mithrandir in the first line for coming too late and later calls him a “witless fool”, as he scorns the Rohirrim even as they are coming to help, and as he calls the battle against the Witch King and Mordor “a hopeless duel”. And then that last line, the “crowning” achievement of the poem, if you will allow me the pun. His pride as the Steward, his despair that the kingdom of Gondor is going down, and his scorn of Aragorn and all who stand for him is implicit in that one line. It was the perfect way to end the poem.

The other thing I loved about this poem was that it was a traditional poem with rhyme and meter! This is by far my favorite type of poetry, and unfortunately I don’t see a lot of poems on fanfiction that have rhyme and meter, so I was delighted by that fact alone. And not only do you have rhyme and meter, but you do it well – the meter feels natural, the rhymes aren’t forced, and everything flows. The form gives it a dignified sense and an elegant nature that is very appropriate for Denethor’s character. Along with the elegant wording of the lines, the rhyme and meter gave it an epic, lordly feel. I am also a big fan of alliteration, which I think gives poetry a wonderful beauty, and I loved seeing alliteration in almost every line, as well as an alliteration of “f” throughout the whole poem. The poem absolutely sang to me – it was gorgeous.

I usually like to point out my favorite lines in a review, but literally, I loved every single line. It’s such a short poem that you really made every line count. Its brevity just adds to its intensity and power. I hope you plan on writing more Lord of the Rings-based poems, or maybe a story or two. This is going straight to my favorites list, and I would love to see more from you.

Thank you for sharing this fabulous poem.

- Sauron Gorthaur
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 11/13/2011
A great poem fic. Very well written.
Mornen chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
That was a pretty good short poem. I love the line about "hope in Halflings" - it has the air of Denethor's pride.

I just noticed, however, that in the first line you wrote "to" where it should have been "too". But, that is just a minor error that can be fixed quickly.

You should keep writing poetry, you seem to have a knack for it.
Silvered Anna chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
It's nice to see people still write about Lord of the Rings, and though I like how this rhymes, I think it could have been a tad longer. Keep up the good work though.