Reviews for A Promising Start
librarywitch chapter 1 . 9/12/2013
Lestrade would be that kind DI. He only trains up the best. Well done.
TangerineTea chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
Lestrade's always been one of my undisputed favorites, but you really made me want to cheer even for Donovan here-which, considering how much I hate her characterization in the show, is an Accomplishment. :P Great job!
mangaluva chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
Not normally a big fan of Sally- her constant reference to Sherlock as "freak" is just rude and childish, even if he has slighted her in the past, which he likely has, and she's the first to turn on him at the end of season 2- but I like these little bits about her. Well, I guess I like them because they're about Greg, and what an epic Papa Wolf he is to his people. Gotta love that guy :)
justjoy chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
Happened upon your Sofie series from the fic recs over at TVTropes, then somehow ended up reading all of your Sherlock fics to boot - and I must say that your style is really amazing in every single piece. I especially love how you manage to convey thoughts and feelings so well that we readers can feel it ourselves, especially since this is something I repeatedly fail at. Anyway, love everything you've posted up so far, and shall be waiting for more! :D
owl-eats-waffles chapter 1 . 11/8/2011
Brilliant! A wonderful insight- I've played with the idea of the first meeting myself, but this was about 100 times better than any ideas I came up with. As always, completely true to character and with a wry sense of humour which makes it a pleasure to read!
Sidney Sussex chapter 1 . 11/8/2011
Oh, this is fantastic. An interaction we never see, and perfectly, perfectly in character. I'll never be able to believe this happened any other way now, and I'll be looking at all of their interactions differently. They're each so wonderful and strong in their own way, he long-suffering and she ready to take on the world. Well done, you. This was so great to read.
Arisprite chapter 1 . 11/7/2011
Ahh, lovely!

I've always thought that there had to be more to Sally than had been shown on the screen, so I love this peek into her past :) As always, wonderful my dear!

Ari
HKay chapter 1 . 11/7/2011
I liked this! I wouldn't mind more in the vein of Lestrade and Donovan. Thanks for sharing it.
editor frog chapter 1 . 11/7/2011
This was lovely. I'm seeing a well-rounded glimpse of Lestrade here (I can see him perfectly, the no-nonsense/gruff around the edges/world-weary being that he is [and we love]).

I'm also seeing a side of Donovan here too, but unfortunately, (and this has nothing to do with your characterization) all I get from the series is her "dissing Sherlock" vibe and the fact that she is a very competent investigator. I suppose I'd have liked to see a little more to Donovan here, perhaps some impression of her w/o Sherlock there to rate a snark.

I loved how you wrote Donovan in "Lessons Learned," and I'd love to see more of that.

Like I said, lovely work. I liked this, overall. :)
CrazyCousinEiko chapter 1 . 11/7/2011
I love Sally's first thoughts upon conversing Lestrade- "Appreciated? Wise? Legal?" Haha. Yes, all of the above. But Lestrade is beyond awesome, which she soon realizes. I love how she totally expects him to dismiss her to get him a cuppa, and he gets her one instead. That's simply his personality.

I do feel badly for him when he says that he probably won't get any less alone. Poor man. He's such a good guy that if he weren't as involved in his job... he'd be a completely different person and not as lovable. Grr! DX

I like how we see Donovan go from critical to unsure to confident in Lestrade. He's the kind of man who definitely inspires confidence despite him being rubbish at conferences.

Great little fic! Can't wait for the next one, luv! ;D
The Red Fedora chapter 1 . 11/7/2011
brilliant as always - love Donavan's inner thoughts and your descriptive word play: "He deposited his armload onto the desk and scrubbed fingers through his hair, bringing new chaos to old disorder" - fantastic:)

I love your depiction of both