Reviews for Life is like a Boat
Guest 101 chapter 7 . 9/13
Now you're making it unrealistic with how much morals he has.

Anyone and I mean ANYONE will kill to survive you don't have a choice in a life or death situation your body acts on INSTINCT you can't stop yourself from doing it, as humans are mammals they can't disobey their instincts it's impossible.

To sum it all up good luck next time making a realistic SI *salutations*
Guest chapter 9 . 11/12/2014
Hi! I can't believe it took me so long to find this! Yours is the most realistic OP self insert I have found yet. Actually, it's one the most realistic ones I have found for ANY self insert. I love how real your oc. He runs, he cries, he screams like any average person on such a situation would do. He lashes out, gets angry and stubbornly sticks to his ideals. He's so REAL that it's hard not love and root for him. Especially when it comes to his relationship with Zoro. His hostile and terrified reaction fits perfectly with the personality you have built for him. There is no sudden and instantaneous love built out of having faced the same enemy once or twice. You've built a solid character that has a personality and also room for growth. He's not perfect.

I also like how you haven't made him an almighty character that changes EVERYTHING the moment he appears. While I understand the concept of the butterfly effect, I also believe it is more realistic that someone as vulnerable and unsure as him is simply going with the flow and taking things as they come rather than spontaneously developing a sense of righteousness on behalf of the world.

If there was anything I had to say against your fanfiction, it would be the grammar. On several occasions I noticed that you either used the wrong word or forgot to include a word entirely. While that doesn't change the story itself from being awesome, it does affect how people read it. It interrupts the reading process and forces the reader to instead have to focus on what you meant to say. It's not horribly important but it is generally preferred by most readers.

Sorry for the super long review but I felt an immediate need to rant when I reached the last chapter you have posted I was just that happy. I'm also secretly-not-so-secretly hoping that this will motivate you to keep going. If for whatever reason you have chosen to abandon this story, then just take this as compliments to your skill and advice for future writings.
urs-v chapter 9 . 11/9/2014
It's sad that you've abandonned this story, it held a lot of potential as a good SI OC story; no Mary Sue (or Gary Stu in this case), good work over the character's psychology, good writting. You just lacked an original plot of your own, staying very close to the original OP stoyline.
Yay chapter 9 . 1/7/2014
I love this fanfic please continue! I'll read every chapter you update. Though I may not comment on every chapter I'm still reading! Please continue to update as soon as possible every chapter!
VividReederSeeder chapter 9 . 10/28/2013
This is brilliant and its a shame you've stopped writing for it. Or haven't you?
Guest chapter 9 . 10/19/2013
Hi I was wondering if u could update this please
gamelover41592 chapter 9 . 6/25/2013
well this story is good hope you haven't abandoned it but what are you going to do about Reuben to get stronger?
avatoa chapter 9 . 4/22/2013
Ok, this is just messed up dude. What are your plans for the rest of the East Blue Saga? In my experience, an OC from our world definitely needs an edge in order to survive in the world of One Piece. This edge either needs to be a Devil Fruit power, a weapon, a superpower not native to the One Piece world, or a martial art style. Any one of these things is needed to survive in One Piece, especially if they are gonna be on the Straw Hat crew. So, what's this guy gonna get?
A Nest of Nargles chapter 9 . 3/14/2013
i feel bad for reuben in all his turminoil but the story is good, really really good, and realistic. that's great too, plus i really like the fact that he's an oc who doesn't know what's going on, who isn't a one piece fan or whatever and knows everything, it lends credit and makes everything seem more real. this is really great, and i hope you'll update again soon
olihime chapter 8 . 3/3/2013
Ooh, ooh! I thought of a weapon...well, more like a fighting style for Reuben. In chapter 9, Reuben use his fists to beat up those Black Cat pirates. Plus, he's been through some bar fights. So, why not use his fists as weapon?

And a fishing pole as an additional accessory or some other usage other than fishing or using it weapon. A good example would be Gon from the anime HunterXHunter if you have watched it before. Gon occasionally uses his fishing pole as a weapon and sometimes for other usage like grabbing things from afar, or using it as an anchor to climb walls, or preventing him from a fall and so on.

What do you think?
olihime chapter 9 . 3/3/2013
This is the best OC fic I've ever read! I laughed! I cried! I feel the emotions I can felt from Reuben! And I absolutely love this guy! If he was a real character in One Piece, I can guarantee you that he will be my number one favorite character!

Plus, the fact he's not a Gary Stu! He don't even have special powers! But even so, he fights despite him being scared, not wanting to see people killed and wanting to run away! This is the most reasonable reaction that people would have if they're in an alternate world where killing is common like One Piece. Best OC ever!

I don't care when you're going to update this, but please promise me that you will finish this one day. And even if by any chance that you're going to discontinue this, don't you ever delete it because I'm going to re-read it as many times as I want.

So yeah, that's all! Keep up the good work!
Frozen Amarillis chapter 9 . 2/9/2013
Dude! U r awesoome. Thank you so very much for the first down to earth OP OC insert story. Believe me, i have read quite some of them. Please don't stop Reuben's adventure yet. I would love to read more. Thanks again!
CC chapter 9 . 2/1/2013
I love this story!please update soon!
kenegi chapter 9 . 10/26/2012
You misspelled Nami's name as Mamie around when Reuben woke up after the fight and a typo I think when Naming told Luffy 'No go beat up those guys'
nen chapter 9 . 10/14/2012
I just noticed that Reuben is a more mature Luffy who uses his head(occasionally). The question is then is; is it intentional, or accidental?