Reviews for The Ring
Bones2014 chapter 2 . 3/20
Yeah, I have a soft spot for Booth. You write him well:)
Bones2014 chapter 1 . 3/20
I felt so bad for him here. He was so excited. Like a kid in a toy store. Then he got knocked down...again. Poor Booth. However, I never liked thie Hannah storyline any way. I'm a B&B fan all the way.
Thurbercarnival chapter 1 . 4/27/2014
Oh my, this is so painful to read but so, so good. You have absolutely mastered Booth's "voice" here. Although I'm very happy with where Booth and Brennan are now, it good to return to the angst every now and then!

Top notch job...thanks for writing!
NatesMama chapter 2 . 1/21/2012
Okay, this just tears me up and makes me want to cry for Booth all over again. This is just...it's fantastic. To look at this, his lowest point and see where he is now, it's amazing to me.

Such a great story, well done. :)
samnickmike chapter 2 . 11/19/2011
I love this story, and really hope that you will continue it on to the next day, it is always the next day that has interested me, just seemed so unfair that he shows up at a crime scene with a headache the next day , there MUST be more to that night :)
Jewelbe11 chapter 2 . 11/18/2011
OMG that just makes my heart break all over again for how Booth was feeling at that moment. As well as for how I remember Bones looking when he gave her the choices. I love how you showed his thoughts they fit right in to what I remember of the episode. Great work!
delia cerrano chapter 2 . 11/17/2011
but you are doing such a good job! You should do a sequel. What happens next? How did they get together? I never liked Hannah. Can't believe Bones would have left him or resisted all this time!
mendenbar chapter 2 . 11/17/2011
I sure am glad you and Rankor01 had that little conversation. This is one of the best introspections on that event that I have read. Kudos!
AmandaFriend chapter 2 . 11/16/2011
Nice job getting into Booth's pain.

Technically, Hannah asks, "What happens now?" She's the live-in-the-moment girl who travels light and doesn't consider the future with him because she doesn't see that with him. Brennan asks, "What happens next?" That's filled with possibilities for the future until Booth shuts that down in his pain. It's a subtle distinction, but it is the difference between the two.
singer154 chapter 2 . 11/16/2011
Poor Booth... This chapter was absolutely amazing! It felt like we were really there in his head.

Brilliant job!
Space-Case7029 chapter 2 . 11/16/2011
Good story. Enjoyed it. On the ending, I got the feeling from watching the show, that he didn't want her to take the second choice and leave, because he didn't want to have to find her a new FBI guy. She didn't want to leave, because she didn't want any other FBI guy. Audra
LJLanham chapter 2 . 11/16/2011
OMG,C... I don't even know where to begin with this. This was stunning. I mean, absolutely gorgeous. So, so well-written, but even more than that- you were totally and completely inside Booth's head. I literally felt his pain.

You found the perfect blend of pain, anger and confusion to make it so real- and then you tossed in just enough hope to make it "Booth."

Brava, my friend. Amazing.
alexindigo chapter 2 . 11/16/2011
Great addition to what was already a good one-shot. I really loved this chapter because you detailed the emotions and thought process behind Booth's decisions leading up to the night of the proposal and his ultimatum to Brennan later in the bar.

I also find it fascinating that in your description of Booth's heartbreak you draw parallels to Booth's relationship with Brennan. This one line especially: "Maybe he'd save the one partnership that had meant more to him than any other" was so telling because I can see that perhaps in doing what he did, in putting his needs first and throwing down that ultimatum, he can finally understand why Brennan did what she did in the 100th, that yes, it was to protect him but it was at such a great cost to her too. The outrage Booth felt when she asked him "what happens next"? That was how I felt when Booth allowed Brennan to say that she didn't have an his kind of open heart, that she needed to protect him from her and that she couldn't change. Aren't you the one who is supposed to know her best? Shouldn't you of all people then know that she does have than open heart and that you never needed her to change for you or protection from her?

As much as I am angry and upset at S6 Booth, Hannah had to happen for him to understand the depth of his feelings for Booth. Did he fall in love with her? I think he fell for the idea of being in love with her, of being in an 'easy' relationship free from the complications that he had with Brennan. Yes, I did think he loved Hannah but I don't think he would have proposed to her had her not had an insecurity attack, much like he had right before he took the gamble with Brennan in the 100th. And probably much like he did before he asked Rebecca. I will never blame Hannah for this situation (even though I do delight in calling her Barbie) because Booth was trying too hard (in a methinks the dude doth protest too much kinda way) and I will forever be wtf-ing in regards to the symbolic gesture of Brennan giving Hannah her sunglasses that she's had since forever.

That said, I still can't bring myself to excuse Booth NOT only for his actions in S6 but for what happened in the 100th after he took that gamble AND everything till the very last episode of S6. If you have the time, read jenlovesbones' Public Opinion. She does an infinitely better job of explaining the basis of my premise (with proof!) than I can. But back to my point, even now in S7 with the two of them now together I can't let it go, mostly because we didn't see any resolution but also because he is still allowing his insecurities to dictate his decisions while as uncomfortable as she is, Brennan is trying the best she can and IS making changes to accommodate his needs and beliefs. It's like I've always maintained, rarely does Brennan knowing hurt Booth. Even the decision about the ultrasound, it was not made to spite him or to intentionally keep him out of the loop whereas Booth and even Angela (self professed 'heart' people) more often than not say and do things that they KNOW and mean to hurt, ridicule and mock Brennan (even if she doesn't get it). Brennan from what I've seen has been the one who has been consistent with her beliefs and principles and yet the showrunners, 'fans' and FF writers alike tend to vilify her for standing up for her beliefs but do not seem to have a problem with Booth's hypocritical way of life and empty promises.

Thanks so much for sharing ceeray, and for reading my rant. I did enjoy this story immensely, so much so that it brought back the angst that post 100th/S6 Booth never fails to bring out in me. )
ProfeJMarie chapter 2 . 11/16/2011
I very nearly cried at this one, which is a rarity. I have never cried reading a Bones fic - but I cried at the end of this episode, so to dredge it all up... *oh...*

"It didn't matter, because either way, he was still alone." I like this line because it's a true thought, I thinkā€¦ he could blame himself or blame the others, but in the end I don't think it's about blame for him, just that it can't seem to work out for him... until later, when he does just get mad, but that's just mad, and not, I don't think, what he ultimately believes.

"The wait for her answer seemed like an eternity and he started running through the short list of guys who'd be able to tolerate the squints." - I can imagine this to be so - and for as much as I knew it wouldn't really happen, both the show, and now your story, have brought that catch to my throat at the possibility, at this thought really running around in his head.
ProfeJMarie chapter 1 . 11/13/2011
"She'd known this day would come. She'd known?"

Isn't that the key line? The one that actually made me finally upset with Hannah when I hadn't been the whole time.

Great job channeling how I, also, feel like Booth would be thinking. Nice twist at the end that he would expect to be alone - even then.