Reviews for Pretending
paperwings075 chapter 1 . 7/1/2014
I just love this. It's so intense and passionate, I really could see this happening if they had made a sequel. Good job!
JacquiDee chapter 1 . 12/27/2012
An elegantly melancholy piece. A nice inside view of a side of the story that wasn't viewed. A believable and relatable feeling, loving someone who doesn't love you back. Wonderful comparisons. All around fantastic job!(:
Pan's Box chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
This was brilliantly written! I love the way you write :)

I agree with crafty notepad though, I don't think Roland would intentionally hurt someone, he didn't seem sadistic in the film...

And it's a shame that Geoff wasn't involved.

But thankyou for writing this, I enjoyed it a lot :)
CraftyNotepad chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
WOW!

So good, I refused to skim it even a little, Lady Shaye. This was to be savored. After your tale, the movie should be retitled Kate, a Blacksmith's Life. You know Kate, and now, thanks to you, we know Kate, too, and through her, Will, Jocelyn, and to a lesser extent, the rest of the merry band of pretenders. Jocelyn is painted as the least completed, even more honestly selfish than Wat's stomach, and little more than a self-centered child saddled with hormones. Not much different for Will, mind you. Young Thatcher is a boy playing a knight playing prince charming, lacking the mettle to become either in battle, in love. All that's absent is a blanket tied about his neck for a cape as he plays pretend.

Your writing is so beautifully crafted, I resist fully critiquing it. The following are offered as observations:

It's a stupid dream, a schoolgirl fantasy, a childish fancy, - Childish, surely, yet "schoolgirl" is a reference for another age and one Kate would not have forged.

Roland will be with Christiana and won't have a care in the world if she's unhappy - Roland didn't come across as such a prick, so could you have meant "happy?"

Geoff was disappointing in this story. A poet who witnesses, but doesn't see what is right before him in Kate's longing for WIll? Blind, or cowardly - no matter. He either can't or won't act to remove Kate's heartbreak. And what of Kate? Sufficient bravery to compete in a male's guild, confident and brave enough to part from tradition and craft her own armor design, yet she shrinks from speaking even a word to Will of her - their - love. In a time of knights and honor, we're left with humanity: scared to speak, to reach out, to risk the heart. Real.

Adding to your fabric of reality were all those lovely tidbits from Knight's Tale. They support the tale, providing imagery, as well as the inertia which transferred nicely to your own character back stories.

Thank you for presenting a true depiction of the womanly smithy, LS.

Best

CraftyNotepad

. .. . .. _ ;/\/\/\\\\1007
FlyingPigMonkey chapter 1 . 3/28/2012
Amazing! They really should have been a couple