Reviews for What Fades Away
jman377355 chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
Really liked this one, I imagine them being reunited would be very taxing emotionally.
Zervziel chapter 1 . 11/24/2011
Aha! I have finally done it! It took me a while to do it, even had a few false starts where I had to start over again to make sure I was doing things right, but finally I have done it! I have...read this story! And it was very good! And yes, you did do a good job conveying how confused Princess Celestia must be feeling at such a transitory stage.

And yes I know the pain of trying to write such a scene where a character is experiencing such a mental burden. In my case it was more of a psychotic breakdown where a character was supposed to devolve from a cold, militaristic professional to a psychotic rambling wreck of a being, combining the physical needs of the body with the mental needs of a mother. By physical needs I mean food. Throw in a random, wounded hobo and you have three hellish messes. One in the story, of course, another in the editing, and the last in the author's head wondering if the whole thing came off convincingly, how the pacing was, and if the necessary parts carried the correct amount of emotional weight...what was I talking about again? Was it Skyrim? I think it was. Oh right, it was. The Dragon Priest, Krosis, can kiss my ass for the stunt he pulled. Not cool! Douchebag undead spellcaster.
Quill Inkwell chapter 1 . 11/22/2011
D'aww, what a cute story! You did a great job really portraying Celestia's bittersweet feelings. I could really get into her head and feel both the joy she felt at having her sister back and the guilt she felt over what she's done.

Awfully big of Luna, being so ready to forgive Celestia for sending her to the moon for a millennium. I guess being quasi-immortal really takes away the desire to hold a grudge. Very sweet- now I'm ready for the next installment of Venom or something dark like that. :P
cydonic chapter 1 . 11/21/2011
I actually had to open a review early, because this line:

"silence seemed to drape over the crowd like a heavy, suppressing blanket of fog."

needed some comment. All of it does, but this one in particular. It's just so real, I feel like I'm in Celestia's position right now. There's sadness and there's guilt and then there's this, which is so startlingly different to the citizen's normal reactions that it's heartbreaking too. It feels like the ponies are losing faith in Celestia, adding to her burdens.

And now that I am done, I have to say that I adore your Luna. We might have slight differences in our personal headcanons, but I really love reading how other people see her. I love the idea of strong Luna (especially stronger, in some ways, than Celestia).

This line:

"…then when you feel as though you are wandering in darkness, allow me to be your guiding star."

Especially got me. It really shows just how connected the pair are, to the point where Luna can tell (and doesn't care) that Celestia needs just as much, if not more help than her.
DreadedCandiru2 chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
This, I think, is exactly what the Celestia on the show would be thinking after the lights dim and the crowd goes home to ponder the new order.
CanadianSushi chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
You have great taste in music :)
Good story, I enjoyed reading it despite it not being as strong as some of your other works. Keep at it, and try not to write when you don't feel like doing so. Overall a solid piece though.

Tell us what you think of Skyrim, eh? I'm expecting it'll inspire a crackfic or somesuch if you like it enough.
Cheers!
Celestia's Paladin chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
Because first and foremost they are sister. Nice to see somepony who hasn't forgotten that. Thank you Rain for writing this and showing us this part of their relationship. GraysonPaladin, Celestia's Paladin. From the Sun and Moon, Providence and Prosperity
Callum Mulallum chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
My god man. That was... quite simply, epic. Incredibly emotional and descriptive... If you're writing emotional stuff in the future, make sure you're in a bad mood... It seems to work!

Great stuff, as always. I always look forward to your new stories, whether they're joke-fics, one shots, or your more serious stuff, such as TES (and subsequently, crossroads). This... I look forward to seeing more. Was quite heart warming to read, put a smile on my face... That sounds awful, considering how upset the two are, but at the end, it was simply beautiful. Love it.

Reg
Amber Treelights chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
Yep. I was right, and you were wrong. This is amazing. One of my new favorite things you've written (and I know I've probably said that about a ton of stories at this point, but I really mean it this time. A lot. I can't help it if all your stories are THAT great!)

Anywho. Definitely, the best part about this was the emotional aspects of it; you really pulled off the emotions of both Celestia and Luna, regardless of whether it was mostly from Celestia's perspective, and turned this into a very strong read. I could practically feel the sorrow radiating with every sentence, as well as the tension, so perhaps writing this while in a bad mood wasn't such a bad idea. Haha.

As always, the thoughts you added were a wonderful help in getting the feel of Celestia's situation, and I love that you emphasized the two roles she has to fulfill as both ruler and sister. I felt horrible for her during that first scene, especially considering I'm sure a lot of ponies weren't happy about the returned joint ruling. Still can't believe one of them started crying. And I'm assuming those were not happy tears? Man, that's awful.

Luna worrying that Celestia was avoiding her because she was angry or hating her was also incredibly sad, but very believable. Her attempting to raise the moon as almost an effort to bring peace back between them seriously made my heart melt. And die. But then it came back to life. That ending was so sweet, and it was a wonderful touch to see Celestia okay with being called "Tia" again. I adore that Luna still loves her so much, even after being on the moon for a thousand years.

And of course, while no one else may like it, I am very happy you kept Luna's original look. It suits her so much better, in my opinion. But yes. Everything about this was wonderful. Instant fav.