Reviews for When a Veela Cries
Jaredkenway chapter 28 . 2/8
I'm glad to see that this story won't be abandoned. It has been an interesting ride. The beginning, despite plenty of character death, almost seemed like an angst ridden teen romance. But as you progressed through the plot it took on a darker tone which is not at all misplaced in a story like this. I also appreciate the amount of development surrounding Veela culture and magic. Whenever some new Veela feature is revealed it doesn't feel like it's coming out of left field, it just feels like we're learning with Harry. I'm eager to see the conclusion of Dobby's arc because when he last appeared he seemed unhinged. That'll be a fun one. Anyway, thank you for writing. You've created a vast interesting world for me to revel in, but I guess that's bound to happen after seven years of writing.
Spider of Dreams chapter 28 . 1/12
So... is this story abandoned?
Guest chapter 28 . 12/21/2020
Give up the shit umbridge story and work on this one. Waste your time on the other one after this one is complete.
Andi Aradan chapter 12 . 11/17/2020
Gabrielle chewing Fleur out after Harry went to Durmstrang is the most satisfying thing I've read this YEAR.
ShadowKing042 chapter 20 . 11/17/2020
Seriously you throw Veela Magic around all over the place but you can't either make Veela magic capable of removing scars or a scar vanishing potion
ShadowKing042 chapter 19 . 11/17/2020
Scar removing potions and healing magic... I will be extremely upset if Fleur has a giant scar
ShadowKing042 chapter 19 . 11/17/2020
NOT SIRIUS, NOOOOOOO!
Charlennette chapter 1 . 11/5/2020
Hello,

I just wanted to express my gratitude to you for taking the time and effort to craft this story. I am well aware of the sheer amount of work that goes into making something presentable out of an idea and a writer's passion, let alone an engaging, well-written, well-characterized, and smart tale such as this. I greatly appreciate your depiction of characters, especially the titular characters, Harry and Fleur, as multi-faceted and dimensional individuals with traits, personalities and motivations. Something that so many overlook in their pursuit of advancing the plot. You've done a bang-up job making me, the reader, care about those you portray. That can only be accomplished through judicious and devoted effort at 'humanizing' them.
Additionally, I'm happy to read something innovative and 'different.' Particular clichés and tropes in this fandom, particularly Harry/Veela pairings, can make for mind-numbing, cringe-inducing slogs. With that said, you don't fall into such traps and write a intelligent and well-paced story that kept my interest exceptionally well.
Additionally, I absolutely adore how you don't shy away from Fleur's Veela nature and more... 'avian,' characteristics. It is intensely refreshing that you take her nature as more than just giving her beauty or some sort of bond/mates, etc. Those tropes aren't bad necessarily, if done well, but your perspective is so unique and fleshed out that I can't help but deeply enjoy your depiction of Fleur and, by extension, Harry's reaction to and acceptance of her nature. It makes their relationship feel deeper and more significant, their romance more involved and organic. It always irks me when something so obviously integral to her character, her heritage, so often gets downplayed. That is to say, I greatly appreciate you not only embracing it, but expanding upon its impact within a romantic relationship. Of course, not failing to mention how you've crafted such an intricate political/societal scheme. It was imaginative and enthralling to read about your take on Veela culture and their role in the world at large.
Truly, you've done a wonderful job with this ambitious project. The characters behave realistically, their interactions/relationships/romance feel earned and powerful, and you've developed them in such fascinating detail. I adore that you took Fleur at face value, as a pretentious, haughty young woman, who you then have wake up to hard truths via the "crucible" you put her through. That was a courageous way to deal with her character and endeared her to me so much more. So many fics, with varying degrees of success, completely change Fleur into a different person in order to make her react differently to Harry during Fourth Year or beyond. I'm glad you took the harder, less traveled route, and 'redeemed' her character instead. Kudos.
In summary, thank you for putting this particularly enjoyable piece of work out there.

Best,
Char

P.S. I won't bloat this review further with such a detailed analysis of your similarly exceptional work in "Taking Umbridge." Suffice to say, I am a serious fan of that work as well.
AvidGamer chapter 9 . 9/30/2020
I really want to like this, but the ungodly amount of angst makes me want to shoot bitch-boy harry in the balls.
Baby Huey chapter 28 . 9/26/2020
I was so happy to read in your announcement in Taking Umbridge that you are committed to completing this story. I do hope that the next chapter is released this year.
rdgarrick chapter 28 . 9/15/2020
I am hooked. Please don’t abandon this fic.
Ednagibbs022 chapter 28 . 8/30/2020
new update soon?
Mimi'scandle chapter 1 . 8/25/2020
I’m so glad to have stumbled onto your piece! Can’t wait for more!
Oliver Pembrooke chapter 28 . 8/4/2020
The amount of detail and work put into this fic is incredible. It’s a great story, and very well written. It really draws the reader into the lore of the Veela. I really hope that it’s not abandoned, as it could be finished well in 5-6 chapters, and probably just completed at a bare minimum of 3. Hope to see it updated someday, and that the author is doing well.
x102reddragon chapter 28 . 7/19/2020
So is Gabby more powerful then Fleur now? You seemed to imply it, but am not sure. Glad to see we are getting close to the climax. Look forward to seeing Harry and Fleur reunite even if something tells me it won’t be super happy. Can’t wait to see you finish this.
1,294 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »