Reviews for For No Miser's Sake
Once Beautiful and Brave chapter 13 . 11/10/2012
Welcome back, stranger! I about fell out of my chair when I received the email notification that you'd updated the story. So nice to have you writing again; and a lovely new chapter at that! :)
Aliset chapter 12 . 3/28/2012
I read this chapter when you first posted it and for the first time, I was stumped on what to say. The perspective you have on Vincent and his character is largely unique; few other fanfic writers I've read *really* get him and his contradictions, and describe them with such depth and skill.

I'll be sorry to see this one end...but ever so curious as to where you're taking us next :)
CaroleW chapter 12 . 3/26/2012
Well, Kuli - I've run out of words of praise. Your deep deep perspective is just excellent. I'll be sad to see this finished, but I do look forward to what you do next.
Once Beautiful and Brave chapter 12 . 3/26/2012
Oh, Kuli ... I'm so captivated by your writing. And so jealous of the skill with which you do it. You really have managed to crawl inside Vincent's head. There are many fanfic writers who are able to sketch him in recognizable ways, but far fewer who can paint a portrait complete with all the shades and colors he contains. You're one of those few, and you continue to do it beautifully.

I'm anxious to read the final chapter(s) but I'll be sad when it over. Brava!
CaroleW chapter 11 . 2/22/2012
Truly good storytelling, Kuli. So much forward narrative and, at the same time, contemplative layering.

It was great seeing you at WFOL. Thanks for your contributions to the party-table!
NYCUtopia chapter 11 . 2/20/2012
It's good to have you back so soon with a new chapter (and a chuckle or two) in this tale of resilience - and to know you enjoyed Winterfest! Did you go Treasure-hunting? [reminiscent grin]
Once Beautiful and Brave chapter 11 . 2/20/2012
Nice to see a new chapter from you! You continue to paint beautiful pictures with your words. I look forward to reading more - not that I'm trying to rush you or anything. :)
Aliset chapter 11 . 2/19/2012
So glad to see another chapter in this story, Kuli! (And I was very happy to see you in our cyber tunnels for WFOL as well :)

There are so many little moments here-Pascal's lack of use for Keats or Frost, the knowing conversation between Vincent and Pascal that speaks to a long friendship and a longer understanding between the two of them, Mouse's reactions to Vincent and to Brian, the quip about the "European history...mess"-all of which ring so, so true. It's not often I read a story where I say, "Yes. This is how it could have happened."

Wonderful job...looking forward to the next chapter :)
LadyAilith chapter 10 . 2/13/2012
Such an intricately crafted piece... You show the human side of Vincent as well as the beast within. He's going to be at war with himself for quite some time, I'm afraid. But he's provided both the Kessler family and those below with valuable lessons.

Thank you so very much for sharing your talent. It's deeply appreciated. And thank you for helping to keep the wonder alive...
CaroleW chapter 10 . 1/24/2012
Well, what can I say. You continue, most excellently.
Once Beautiful and Brave chapter 1 . 1/22/2012
Just discovered this story and flew through all 10 chapters. This is lovely, lovely stuff! Looking forward to more. Thank you!
Aliset chapter 10 . 1/21/2012
Oh, wow. I went from chuckling over the visual of Vincent singing "Jesse's Girl" (no matter how reluctantly) to being stunned at Sharpe's reappearance to being worried all over again that Vincent had gotten shot. Then I chuckled at the reference to the pirate ship...ah, Brian, if you only knew.;)

All of this is to say, it's a rare writer who can cover humor, violence and redemption in the same chapter, with such skill.

Great job! :)
CaroleW chapter 9 . 1/16/2012
Oops! How did I miss seeing your update for 4 days, I wonder.

What power he had, to determine the fates of men.

That's just so good, that sentence. I admire the placement of the comma (I'm not kidding either). I hear the pause, feel it, and in that silence so much more is said.

Re: finding your fic listed elsewhere. As VC87 said, the batb fan fiction database is just a directory to online stories and, in this case, to your story at this site. There's nothing reposted or hosted elsewhere. If you're wondering how to contact the librarian privately, when you're at the site, click on Home in the navigation bar and you'll find an email address. But then you can send VC87 a message through ff dot net too, now that you know who to talk to about the summary's changes.

I'm behind answering email. I owe you one, but let me say here – Congratulations on the new job!

Carole
VC87 chapter 9 . 1/12/2012
Clap, clap, clap! Great job, once again! It's like you're sitting there, watching it unfold...

On a separate note, the fanfic database entry, that's gotta be me. I just changed the rating as you requested, and I'll be happy to change the summary if you come up with something else. Just to clarify though, the fanfic database is a directory of all BATB fanfic available online from all sites; it doesn't host stories, just provides links to where they can be found.
Aliset chapter 9 . 1/12/2012
Oh, wow.

First of all, congratulations on the new job! What a happy start to the new year! :)

Secondly...wow...this chapter. Kuli, you've put me in awe again and I don't say that lightly. I love the dimensions you've given Vincent; we almost never saw onscreen that warrior's will to control the destruction rather than be controlled by it. He does what he must, but no more, no less. I love how you've deepened Jackie's character, and Brian's too. :)

Thirdly, I'm sorry your story was posted somewhere else-without your permission, I take it? Regrettably, that's not at all uncommon...once this story is finished, though, I'd highly encourage you to post it at CABB (classicalliance dot net); it's the largest online archive of BatB fanfic and I'm sure your story would be very well-received there.

Once again, fantastic job. Looking forward to the next chapter(s) :)