Reviews for Facing The Ghost
westwingnut221 chapter 4 . 8/11/2013
Woo! Whole virtual cake for me. I just found this story of yours and am enjoying those Christmasy days of Matthew and Mary. On I go to read more!
Guest chapter 5 . 7/21/2013
I thought I'd give it a shot and ask if you'll update? :) I've only just found this story and loved it!
confusednikki24-7 chapter 5 . 6/2/2012
awww great story! and great chapter! i can't wait to read more! please update soon!
katesque chapter 5 . 5/1/2012
ooh i really do hope that you continue this story! it really is lovely, and your author notes are hillarious :D
trshyq35 chapter 2 . 2/29/2012
Roman Numerals for chapter numbers. Fancy.
kez chapter 5 . 1/12/2012
Love this. Really hope ypu continue soon!
sonckad chapter 5 . 1/8/2012
Have just found this, hope you continue :)
Dina C chapter 5 . 12/20/2011
Your author's notes are hilarious! :-) Your story is very engaging, and I'm eager to see what happens next.
Grace chapter 5 . 12/19/2011
I agree that Matthew would vent to his mother and it was great that you put this chapter In, as it is reflective. Cannot wait til the next chapter! Much love.
laydit chapter 5 . 12/15/2011
Please let Matthew be her Perseus! :-)
loulouflowerpower chapter 5 . 12/14/2011
love it keep going
Starlight77 chapter 5 . 12/14/2011
It's always the mother who's got to knock some sense into her children, and Isobel is really skilled at it.

I love her great advice here, and I also love how Matthew refuses to let Isobel speak against Mary as always (reminded me of the end of S1 when Mary was going back and forth on the proposal and Matthew wouldn't let his mother speak against her then either).

And Isobel is right - it's not his fault and it's not a matter of will...these horrible illnesses take whoever they want without rhyme or reason. And mourning is definitely not the only way to honor the dead. In fact, too much of it dishonors them.

And yes, time to be Mary's Perseus, Matthew! I'm glad that he's noticed that she's lost her fire, that Richard is doing his best to douse the spirit that makes Mary, Mary.
Starlight77 chapter 4 . 12/14/2011
Oh, I love how he's trying to keep his distance but she always just draws him in - their easy mirth and companionship draws him in. They really are so suited to one another. I was rewatching the S1 finale and Mary tells her Aunt Rosamund about how they "get along so well", and gosh, you really show that here.

Naturally, Richard interrupts and I'm glad that Matthew is beginning to suspect something. He loves Mary and wants her to be happy even if it's without him. But you sure as hell know that he's going to have to step in for *her* sake (not his) if he finds out that Richard isn't going to be the man to make her happy.
Starlight77 chapter 3 . 12/14/2011
I really loved these two lines: "A sense of dread hung upon him as the building towered over him its festive atmosphere, as if mocking him. But somewhere deep inside him, hidden away and ignored, he felt he was home."

You capture Matthew's mixed feelings about this homecoming so wonderfully. And all these images of snow, the cold aching up his joints, the pain coming and going, and yet there is this warmth in Downton, there is this warmth that he feels as he takes in Mary's face, feels her standing next to him with her familiar perfume wafting over her.

The realization you had him come to at the end was done very simply and beautifully. It is her presence, her intoxicating presence, and the fact that he knows he does not blame her - he dreams of her actually - and seeing her moving on and the undeniable feelings of jealousy and protectiveness and desire and affection that come over him, yes...Matthew, glad to see you know it isn't over!
mts3479 chapter 5 . 12/14/2011
Good chapter. If anyone can really kick Matthew's butt & knock some sense into his noodle - it's his mum. Well done Mrs Crawley!