Reviews for Requiem
palomino333 chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
First off, excellent choice in music. I've seen fanfics that pair a character with a completely inappropriate song with a character because the author likes both the character and the song. This song, however, especially conveys GLaDOS' loneliness. I remember hearing the ending chord of 99 Red Balloons, and that final sound of loss just suits her so well. At the end of the day, it's her and her facility, nothing more, nothing less. She hates humans, but outside of her machines, there is no companionship.

And that's what makes the futility of it all the more crushing when she does sing. That song, her last gasp, is the red balloon floating away, and her song is how she lets go without admitting defeat. This is just my interpretation, at least.
PotterPhantomKitten chapter 1 . 11/17/2011
I can't believe I didn't see this until now, silly me! That was a really cute one-shot, FP! I loved how you put GLaDOS's musical talent (by which three of my favorite video game songs ever, or songs in general, came into being) in perspective of hearing another song.

My only thing about it - now I have 99 Red Ballons stuck in my head! Okay, I've only ever actually fully heard the Harry Potter parody of the song, but I know the tune, so I couldn't help singing along with the words! :)
Nitrospira chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
Wow - this was brilliantly written. It's eloquent and rich with emotion, which is the perfect diction to have for this kind of subject matter. I have to say that my favorite lines were at the very beginning and the end. The quick bit of humor at the start motivated me to start reading this with a smile, and it's so like GLaDOS to infuse humor into even the most serious of topics. You just can't write her without a biting sense of wit, and I think it's captured really nicely here.

I especially liked the line for which the story is titled: "It's both her requiem and her epitaph, her manic victory lap, and she's going to transcribe each word of it."

The tie-in to GLaDOS' Still Alive song was insanely epic. I did not expect this at all from the summary, but Lord was I pleasantly surprised.

x. Ara
parlor.tricks chapter 1 . 11/14/2011
Omg, I love this so much. I freaking ADORE stories that explore GLaDOS's love of music!

Fantastic how she's confused about it. "This isn't science, WHY DO I LIKE THIS? D:"

It makes her a person with other interests. :D I kind of like how her love of music is prevalent in the game, but never outright stated.

Love the way you've written this, much like I imagined, her overhearing something the scientists were listening to.

And LOL on her final "FUCK YOU!" of "Still Alive!"

LOVELY to see you've written something new. *A*
RedDragon30000 chapter 1 . 11/14/2011
This is a wonderful story. As with much of your work, you have managed to generate sympathy for a character that we are set up to hate. Because of this, I found myself hating the scientists for what they did to GLaDOS. I mean, what did they expect? Hearing voices like that CONSTANTLY would be enough to drive anyone insane.

I love the way you portray GLaDOS as having a complex personality and not just an insane machine. You have provided a plausible explanation for where her songs came from, as it comes as something of a surprise at the end of the first game. hope to see more from you soon :)
GLaDHal chapter 1 . 11/13/2011
wow. never thought of it that way... awesome fic.