Reviews for The Consultation
brownstudy chapter 24 . 8/13/2013
Just finished reading this remarkable story. The writer's knack of finding just the right nooks and crannies to tell her story, and the addition of the subplots (just like the real Doc Martin show!) added much lovely texture. I also liked the little bits of history, esp. of Louisa and Al, that really clicked into place. Most of all, the story really pegged Martin's attitude and speech patterns from the show; several of his conversations with Ruth and Louisa sounded as if they could have come from the series. I hope many more readers discover this very emotional and affecting story.
D. Charles chapter 24 . 5/14/2013
This was so engrossing and so professional it is really hard to believe you are not a published author. Or are you? It was fabulous and wonderful, I loved every moment of it. The relationship though taken from the series was made realistic and true to life. I know the heartache of loving someone this way. Each of you too proud or too afraid to tell the truth about your feelings. I love Martin Clunes and I could just see both there faces as I read the words of your novel. Lets face it, that is what it is a novel. If only the show was really like this. Thank you for this beautiful entertaining story.
Carol C chapter 24 . 8/6/2012
This is an excellent story and very well written. I think you have great potential as an author. Go for it!
DeclanS chapter 24 . 7/26/2012
This story has been much more than a simple retelling; instead we have been treated to parallel scenes showing us love stories of couples young and old which could benefit the two central characters. We also are witness to the thought processes engaged in by Martin and Louisa behind the scenes.

We see the haemophobia realistically manifesting itself and thus bringing a more natural and direct conclusion to Martin's dilemma about leaving.

Thank you for not making this a single chapter story as was originally intended. We readers have enjoyed the expanse of your creativity, imagination and deft writing style.
Bodmin chapter 24 . 7/14/2012
Nice end to a nice story. Thank you for writing it for us.
I agree with Louisa that boredom will be the least of her worries, and Martin seemed to have understood the need for comfort. Maybe the disaster will bring them closer together. We can just hope for series 6.
I liked your last scene a lot.
Boots1980 chapter 24 . 6/28/2012
This chapter is brimming with wonderful subtleties: Martin looking at the crumbling caulk and deciding he will now have it fixed as he is staying in Port Wenn. Who but our Doc would equate such an important decision with the state of his kitchen sinks caulk? Martin making fish for Louisa and an omelet for himself and then the fish burns. Lucky Louisa now does not have to force down another dinner of fish! After Louisa disrobes Martin - or actually "de-suits" him, you end the story with the line: "And that will SUIT (emphasis added) her just fine." Martin's decision that "it will be in his best interest to keep quiet," shows that he can learn to not say the wrong thing if Louisa is making it worth his while. The best is Louisa's declaration of love without benefit of an addled chemist. The only thing that would have been better would be if Martin returns to the bedroom with a packet of chocolate biscuits...

Excellent writing with real emotion, understanding and care for the characters.
fanficfan71 chapter 24 . 6/26/2012
A great finish to your story. Thanks for sharing. I hope you write more.
LuvJaneAusten chapter 23 . 6/12/2012
I just wanted to let you know that I really like your story & look forward to your updates I get through story alert. The scenes you write are so believable. You are a very talented writer. Please keep going. Can't wait to read more!
Limaccia chapter 23 . 6/10/2012
If I were Martin (& of course I'm almost the complete antithesis of him except for this one thing) after I'd had my coffee and listened to some soothing music, I'd wander down to Louisa's and see if she was already up. Not that it'd be a long-term solution, but he could offer to help, tidy up, etc., and at least save Louisa a walk up that darn hill by taking James back with him.

Ever heard about different love languages? How couples get into trouble when they have different love languages and so misconstrue each other? Usually people have 1 primary and 1 secondary. For example, Martin's primary love language is clearly "Acts of Service," while Louisa's is "Words of Affirmation." That's a recipe for trouble:

Words of Affirmation

Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

Quality Time

In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful.

Receiving Gifts

Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures.

Acts of Service

Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.

Physical Touch

This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.
Limaccia chapter 22 . 6/10/2012
I was noticing that your story is better written than most, so congratulations. Don't know how much was robspace54's doing; I know he's helped a lot of authors here, for which I know those writers are grateful and we readers certainly are too.

You're lucky, we here in Central Florida don't even have a station that shows Doc Martin. I only caught on to Doc Martin & Martin Clunes after the first 4 seasons were already on Hulu (oops, tell a lie, that's not counting many previous hours of watching Kipper with my niece & nephew). But by hook or crook, I think I've managed to see all of Season 5 on various computer feeds. I've watched S5-E8 at least 5 times so far.

And now it's time for all the authors to try and predict/write how they think the final season (S6) will go! (It had darn well better include marriage!) Actually, I'm betting it will, considering the story Martin told about the poor writer who had to write the non-marriage episode getting all sorts of grief and hate mail when really it was the most expeditious thing, they just had to do it to keep the show going longer, which none of us would disagree with. And when you watch it again in that light, it really is the most brilliant episode!

BTW, your line about Martin watching "Louisa wheel James down the hill last night, her back rigid and her hair swishing back and forth in anger . . . ," just made me think: Has anyone ever compared her to a cat since cats twitch their tails exactly the same way when they're angry? Don't know why it never occurred to me before.
Limaccia chapter 21 . 6/10/2012
I liked the bit about Ruth recognizing how she's turning into Joan - now worrying about Martin and the farm.

And is she maybe going to develop a romance with that nice Hamish boy?
partsguy chapter 23 . 6/10/2012
Great dream sequence! The Doc has a lot of guilt issues to be resolved doesnt he?

Love the way you are presenting his doubts and inability to communicate with Louisa.
Boots1980 chapter 23 . 6/9/2012
As Martin's anxiety grows over his unresolved emotions about Louisa and James, the blood phobia reappears, first in the dream and then possibly in reality. The dream sequence perfectly explains how torn he is between Portwenn and family and London and surgery. At the end of this chapter the phobia is prevailing.
Chapin chapter 23 . 6/9/2012
The anxiety, ambivalence, and misunderstanding has plagued Martin and Louisa for over a year, but also the deep feelings and concern do not diminish. This chapter serves to enhance the palpability of all this. Well done.
Bodmin chapter 23 . 6/9/2012
Martin really is a troubled soul, and all the uncertainties about his future are not making it any better. But maybe he should listen to his dreams - he is more concerned about Louisa and James in them than about his job.