Reviews for The Consultation
P Barnes chapter 24 . 5/21
Really good story enjoyed reading it well done
hawthorn1102 chapter 24 . 3/20
Just finished re-reading this wonderful story. You were masterful at revealing the emotions of Martin and Louisa that we can only imagine much of the time during the TV episodes. Despite the excellent acting abilities of MC and CC, they can go only so far in expressing the characters' thoughts. You can do so much more with the written descriptions. As the reader, I felt so sad to know that each wants the other so badly, but neither can come out and make his/her feelings known. But, at least you wrote a lovely ending for them. Also enjoyed the additional side story lines that you worked in with the plots from the TV version. They added so much to character development. Hope you write some more for us.
Rad chapter 24 . 1/13
I am so glad I came across this story. Love way to fillin the bits not shown in the show.
nature of things chapter 23 . 9/12/2015
I just finished reading this again. You really describe emotions very well. I was so sad! But the happy ending is worth being sad for a while.
nature of things chapter 9 . 9/11/2015
I'm glad that Martin talks back to L. In a lot of the stories he just mutters or says uh.
nature of things chapter 24 . 9/4/2015
Excellent story. I'm so glad that you showed how much the Doc loves his son. I knew that he did but it's so good to read and feel the tender moments that you described to well. Well done1a
nature of things chapter 4 . 9/4/2015
Reflections - I had always thought that Doc wanted to leave PortWenn and go back to London because that's where Louisa was. His phobia came back when she came home so he had to stay where she was and now, also, his son. Feasible?
nature of things chapter 2 . 9/4/2015
This is a very sad start. Hope things get more cheerful. Not a complaint. It's certainly captured my interest.
beth.zipay chapter 24 . 2/11/2015
Very well done backstory to the show. I enjoyed it!
brownstudy chapter 24 . 8/13/2013
Just finished reading this remarkable story. The writer's knack of finding just the right nooks and crannies to tell her story, and the addition of the subplots (just like the real Doc Martin show!) added much lovely texture. I also liked the little bits of history, esp. of Louisa and Al, that really clicked into place. Most of all, the story really pegged Martin's attitude and speech patterns from the show; several of his conversations with Ruth and Louisa sounded as if they could have come from the series. I hope many more readers discover this very emotional and affecting story.
D. Charles chapter 24 . 5/14/2013
This was so engrossing and so professional it is really hard to believe you are not a published author. Or are you? It was fabulous and wonderful, I loved every moment of it. The relationship though taken from the series was made realistic and true to life. I know the heartache of loving someone this way. Each of you too proud or too afraid to tell the truth about your feelings. I love Martin Clunes and I could just see both there faces as I read the words of your novel. Lets face it, that is what it is a novel. If only the show was really like this. Thank you for this beautiful entertaining story.
Carol C chapter 24 . 8/6/2012
This is an excellent story and very well written. I think you have great potential as an author. Go for it!
DeclanS chapter 24 . 7/26/2012
This story has been much more than a simple retelling; instead we have been treated to parallel scenes showing us love stories of couples young and old which could benefit the two central characters. We also are witness to the thought processes engaged in by Martin and Louisa behind the scenes.

We see the haemophobia realistically manifesting itself and thus bringing a more natural and direct conclusion to Martin's dilemma about leaving.

Thank you for not making this a single chapter story as was originally intended. We readers have enjoyed the expanse of your creativity, imagination and deft writing style.
Bodmin chapter 24 . 7/14/2012
Nice end to a nice story. Thank you for writing it for us.
I agree with Louisa that boredom will be the least of her worries, and Martin seemed to have understood the need for comfort. Maybe the disaster will bring them closer together. We can just hope for series 6.
I liked your last scene a lot.
Boots1980 chapter 24 . 6/28/2012
This chapter is brimming with wonderful subtleties: Martin looking at the crumbling caulk and deciding he will now have it fixed as he is staying in Port Wenn. Who but our Doc would equate such an important decision with the state of his kitchen sinks caulk? Martin making fish for Louisa and an omelet for himself and then the fish burns. Lucky Louisa now does not have to force down another dinner of fish! After Louisa disrobes Martin - or actually "de-suits" him, you end the story with the line: "And that will SUIT (emphasis added) her just fine." Martin's decision that "it will be in his best interest to keep quiet," shows that he can learn to not say the wrong thing if Louisa is making it worth his while. The best is Louisa's declaration of love without benefit of an addled chemist. The only thing that would have been better would be if Martin returns to the bedroom with a packet of chocolate biscuits...

Excellent writing with real emotion, understanding and care for the characters.