Reviews for Call of the Night
Call of Darkness chapter 35 . 3/19
Please update soon!
Reaver216 chapter 35 . 3/19
great story i hope you update soon
The suspense is killing me! Y U SO GOOD th!$ also looking forward to more stories from you
Mr. Narfin chapter 35 . 2/27
An absolutely riveting story. It has been a long time since any work of fiction has managed to grip my interest so effectively. Over the last few days I have skipped classes and ignored my need to sleep just to continue reading this. If anyone reading this review is in doubt, just give the story a chance and read a few chapters. I promise you will not be disappointed.
paul48 chapter 35 . 2/5
Great job i have read this story from front to back 36 times
vampireharry the 2 chapter 35 . 2/5
I love this! I can't wait for more!
Superbun chapter 35 . 2/1
Okay... where do I even begin with this?

I only got about four hours' sleep last night, as I was up from 11pm to 6am finishing this story. I literally could not put this fic down until I'd read the whole thing.

Anyway, I tend to throw the word "unique" around a lot whenever a fanfic author has a vaguely original idea, but this story really is unique; I've never read anything remotely like this story. That's not to say I can't see your influences. Pretty much from the start, Hiccup's telepathic bond with Toothless was heavily reminiscent of the Inheritance Cycle, and the Shades’ "Heart's Fire" magic is obviously inspired by The Mortal Instruments series, however the way you combine these elements with your own ideas creates an utterly compelling world and story. For instance, the whole idea of the "Dream Pool" and how the wings of Home Cave work is fascinating, and you could probably spin a whole story around that concept alone.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I first clicked on this story, but it certainly wasn't what I got. This story starts from a common, even slightly clichéd position for 'Toothcup' fanfic, but you very quickly deviate from it, most notably in tone. A lot of the early parts of this Story (before Hiccup and Toothless leave Berk), and later on in Astrid's subplot resemble a darker, "grittier" re-imagining of the HTTYD universe. A particular highlight of this early section was the sequence where Toothless was captured and "separated" from Hiccup, which was genuinely tense and gripping, also, throughout this section, the contrast between Hiccup and Toothless' relationship from their POVs with Astrid's view of it was fascinating.

When I first read it, I slightly took issue with Hiccup's actions in Chapter 5, where he seemingly callously watches the dragons burn Berk to the ground, but given the darker tone of this story, and the reveal later that Toothless' thoughts may have been affecting his own, the incident doesn't seem quite so glaring.

The forced separation of Hiccup and Toothless when they reached Home Cave was another highlight. The pain the pair felt at being separated was palpable, and as I hinted at earlier, I found Toothless’ induction into the Shades’ society fascinating. If I had one complaint about this section, it was that Hiccup and Toothless’ eventual reunion was somewhat rushed over. Given how much effort you put into describing how miserable they were at being parted, their reaction to being re-joined felt somewhat subdued. In fact, this brings me onto a larger criticism of the whole story: The constant breakneck pace. The constant flow of new plot twists and revelations is great and kept the story interesting, but across 35 chapters it started to wear on me a bit, and an occasional slower moment or chapter to give the reader some downtime would improve the story overall.

Hiccup’s “duel” with Ito was very well done, you do a great job of making him a sympathetic “villain” and Hiccup’s final solution was very ‘Hiccup’. It may just be that I read the chapter somewhat quickly in the early hours of the morning, but my only criticism would be that the part of Ito’s childhood you allude to in the battle scene, where three young Shades are stranded in the snow, and one of them causes an Avalanche (I think?), is kind of unclear, I’m not entirely sure what happened or how it played into Ito’s final decision to surrender to Hiccup. Also, minor continuity question: You don’t mention them again after this fight, but what happened to Hiccup’s Weh Blades? I assume he took them with him when they “jumped” back to Berk?

I should probably talk about Astrid’s subplot at some point. The first part of this arc, where she’s the only one being proactive among the survivors of Berk is good, and while her later change of heart towards dragons was somewhat predictable, it was still well done. Her internal conversations with ‘Hiccup’ were fun, and I’m interested to see where her relationship with Tutore goes now that they’ve finally “connected” in the most recent chapter. (Random fan speculation: I’m guessing that Astrid didn’t go crazy and start talking to herself for a time, and ‘Hiccup’ was actually Tutore manipulating her thoughts?)

Thank you for the mental image of a flock of 200 Night Furies “led” by Hiccup and Toothless diving as one to attack the dragons invading Berk, in the most recent chapter. That image is just bad-ass. Also, I can’t wait for Hiccup and Astrid to finally meet so I can see how they react to the other’s changes.

A quick word on the spelling and grammar in this chapter: I tend not to notice these things as I read rather quickly, but it’s not great, although it gets better in later chapters (or I just got used to automatically correcting your mistakes in my head.). You have a habit of using incorrect homophones, for instance I think at one point you refer to a “heard of deer” rather than a herd. You also miss out words occasionally, which can make the meaning of some sentences a bit unclear, especially in the earlier chapters when you’re playing around with first and third person perspective.

As a fellow fanfic writer, I’m not going to waste time begging you for the next update. I know you’re working on it as fast as you can. Instead, I’ll say this: Thank you for creating this crazy, incredible and unique work of fanfiction, and know that I’m eagerly anticipating the next instalment.

Superbun
X
sierra.steinbrecher chapter 35 . 1/6
please tell me I get an update soon, I can't wait to see how Berk handles the new Hiccup and how he handles them.
Ryuna Hunter chapter 35 . 12/31/2014
Can't wait for more!
Dark God Naruto chapter 35 . 12/31/2014
Love your story
storyholder chapter 35 . 12/31/2014
I love this story. Incredible work as always. Kudos to you and LEPShot. I wish you had the time to focus on only this. I am sorry for being so impatient and demanding and pestering you about the next chapter. I love this story immensely and waiting for an update was like waiting for my next breath of air. Great relief at the expense of needing another breath. I apologized for being so annoying. I love every moment of this and I am hoping more will arrive soon. Your self-proclaimed biggest fan, storyholder.
TheMysticalQ chapter 35 . 12/30/2014
Oh boy, I can sense wings emerging from Hiccup's back! I can't wait to see the next chapter!
ivanganev1992 chapter 35 . 12/26/2014
Is that it ?
ch 35
Guest chapter 35 . 12/25/2014
awesome I can't wait for more
ivanganev1992 chapter 29 . 12/25/2014
Well maybe I got bits of the Shades . plus I sam thinking literally as a shade by close to sneakiest , natural moving withoutght been notice but more like a nija tipe . And the element I feel and the main used in my imagination :
air , fire , darkness , earth , ligth , water . And that separituon increnibly stinks , sucks , it is nasty . And Hic doesn't have the tools to make te autho tail .
Those cold feelings are nasty in the den , that separation . But still they need to hearthen their souls ,be more indipendent , and Hicup could be great magicic user , warrior , craftsmen , invventor and fast learner in everything . And Hic has more magic theoryctly than the otherr dragons ,possitive power , energy equal of the negative's energy shade power of the cursed big fat enslaving fat qeen .

Well enougth thoughts of me and the story . That cold feelings are nasty . But Still they need to hearthen their souls , and Hicup could be great magic user as I said .

Well I need to rest .