Reviews for Call of the Night
hictooth-com chapter 5 . 10/20
Chapter 5.
An interesting twist with this raid, with the dragons seeking destruction rather than food. I'm assuming (and vaguely recalling from memory) that this is due to the queen finding out about Hiccup and Toothless, and seeking revenge on Berk? If that's the case it's interesting how Hiccup's house wasn't touched - looking forward to (re-)finding out why later in the story.
And what an ending! Even though I know what happens, it's a great cliffhanger to leave us on, giving bits of information without telling us what/who Astrid hit with her axe.
Can't wait for the next chapter!
hictooth-com chapter 4 . 10/20
Chapter 4.
I'm glad you've given Astrid a POV in this story, and that (so far at least) it's making her less of the one dimensional love interest for Hiccup that was forced into the film. It's no secret that I don't really like Astrid as she's portrayed in httyd1, but even from the little tid-bit of her POV in this chapter, it's clear that she's going to be a more full character. Of course, it helps that in a book, a character's motivations and thoughts can be laid out clearly.
The Hiccup and Toothless bonding here is so delightful to read. They're just so in tune to each other it's amazing. And you've continued on the line of Hiccup being out of place in the village so well, even having it from Toothless' point of view now.
One comment I would have is that the regular POV switches between characters can get a little jarring when each character only has a few paragraphs. I know this obviously changes in the future with the much longer chapters, so I'm just taking it as a sign of how your writing has improved.
hictooth-com chapter 3 . 10/18
Chapter 3.
Well I guess I have to slightly retract my comment about Hiccup being OOC in the last chapter - as it's definitely in character for him to recognise that he was being OOC! All part of his character development in this story, I guess.
The bonding between Hiccup and Toothless in this chapter is wonderful - it's nice that Hiccup recognises the intelligence of Toothless and them caring for each other is such a nice image.
Maybe one error - in "They passed flocks of birds listened to their terrified screeches as they passed." - pretty sure you probably intended an "and" in there?
And our first part from Toothless' point of view! Which further confirms that in this story, he'll be treated as an intelligent equal, rather than the more pet-like interpretations that many stories go for - and is even felt in the TV series at many times. Also interesting you state Toothless' age here. It's been so long since I last read this, that I can't remember what rules you have for the ages of normal dragons (I can obviously remember that the Three and Alda are very old, but I can't remember if they're special, or if that's normal for dragons in this universe).
The sentence "A sense of protectiveness that he had not felt since..." is exciting. Starts to create a backstory for our lovable dragon. Can't wait to re-read more as I'd forgotten how good it all is!
hictooth-com chapter 2 . 10/17
And now for chapter 2!
You're conveying well the idea that Hiccup doesn't belong in the village - or maybe doesn't *want* to belong there. The disorientation, the bed being abrasive, the room being lonely, etc. all give the impression that he doesn't feel at home there. It's also interesting how Stoick is referred to as "Stoic" (which I think should have a k at the end?) and "the Chief", rather than "his father".
And Hiccup is beginning to become a little OOC in this chapter, which I personally like. Less passive, and more reactive to those who annoy and confront him. Also more confident, and although it feels a little sudden and unnatural, this is an AU so that's fine and to be expected.
hictooth-com chapter 1 . 10/16
I've read this story many times before, but I always love coming back to it as it's one of my favourites. Seeing as I've only left one review before, I've decided that I'm going to come back now and re-read the entire story, leaving a review after every chapter. I remember from the last time that your writing really progresses and improves over the course of the story, so I'm excited to see that again, and leave reviews this time!

So, chapter 1.
It sets up the story nicely, and is a good balance of re-introducing the characters and plot for those who may have not seen the canon material in a while, and those who are very familiar with it.
You've also captured Hiccup's personality well (noticing the small things in life), and setup the difference between him and the rest of Berk well.
Addressing Astrid as "that girl" is also clever as it creates an air of disdain towards her that's not in canon.
I also love the metaphor "village that held him captive", and the symbolism of it being "tiny and so far away" when he's flying and with Toothless.
Puro the Dark Latex chapter 1 . 10/9
What happened to you
Ashora chapter 1 . 9/29
I will never abandon my hope for an update. Hope life is treating you well!
Sterr chapter 25 . 4/26
Hiccup: "I've never hit anyone with an axe!"
Astrid: "Yes, you did. You did that EXACT THING."
Is how it should have gone.
Sterr chapter 19 . 4/23
Am I not supposed to agree with Astrid? Because she is definitely the most sane and relatable character here. I'd read an entire story of her going "what the fuck, no, stop".
Sterr chapter 11 . 4/23
If you were going for psychological horror, good job. Watching a kafkaesque death of identity is always fun.
reaver216 chapter 2 . 3/29
Hope the new chapter comes out soon
reaver216 chapter 1 . 3/15
Can't wait for your next update
Is this still being updated?
fic beggar chapter 36 . 1/30
Chapter for the poor? ;-;
A Reader chapter 36 . 12/27/2018
Just read your profile update and I must say I'm excited to see you're still working on this story. Not only does it have some delightfully uncomfortable toothcup; it has some quite interesting plot and character development which really picked up momentum after chapter 12, and is still going strong. Looking forward to the next chapters and Stoick's upcoming meeting with his Hiccup!