Reviews for To Spare the Innocent
Darth Litarius chapter 1 . 8/21/2013
The writing and story itself are fine. There are some lore issues. Like the main reason that the Imperium doesn't like the Eldar is because they have a habit of manipulating the "lesser races" into fighting each so they don't fight them. Oh, and the Imperium is evil, so there's that.
Onsholo chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
And BTW i almost forgot: Alaitoc destroyed Ogrys(the homeworld of the Invaders SPESS MEHRENS chapter)only 300 SPESS MEHRENS survived the attack on Ogrys currently the Invaders chapter got only 12 marines in it and thanks to those eldar dicks at Alaitoc the chapter might end up being destroyed if the dont manage to recover very very fast

here is a bit on the attack

Craftworld Alaitoc launched a assault on the chapter's homeworld. Without the numbers to defend their fortress-monastery, the Invaders were quickly overcome. Only three companies survived the attack, and the Invaders became a spacebound chapter. Still under-strength after their all-out assault, and the retaliatory attack, the Invaders chapter is reported as operating in a support role to the Novamarines on the doomed planet of Skyfall.[1]

Onsholo chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
The Craftworld getting attacked in Path of the Warrior is Alaitoc and here is how the attack turned out

After Dark Eldar raiders launched vicious assaults on Imperial shipping near the Craftworld, the Imperium, blaming the Craftworld Eldar instead of their dark kin, decides to make an example of Alaitoc by invading and annihilating it. The Imperium was able to trace Eldar raiding parties back to the Craftworld, identifying its location.[2] Forewarned to the attack by the Craftworlds Farseers, the Eldar managed to prepare for the assault and were aided by the Phoenix Lords Baharroth, Maugan Ra, and Karandras.[1]

The Battle

The Imperium struck with an enormous[2] fleet of Imperial Navy warships, carrying large number of Imperial Guard ground troops. Battling through the Craftworlds fleet defenses in a bloody engagement that saw heavy Imperial Navy losses, the Eldar fleet and Craftworld defenses managed to destroy multiple Battleships and Troop Transports. However Imperial Guard boarding parties managed to board Alaitoc itself. Though the assault by the Imperial Guard initially went poorly in the face of Alaitoc's Aspect Warriors, a Boarding Torpedo attack by the Sons of Orar Space Marine Chapter inflicted heavy losses on the Eldar defenders as the sheer number of Imperial Guardsmen managed to expand the Imperial beachhead on the Craftworld. Taking casualties in the face of the Space Marine spearhead and the Imperial Guard forces supporting them, the Eldar were forced to withdraw in order to defend the Alaitoc's Infinity Circuit and core cities after the outlaying Exodite settlements were overrun and laid to waste. The Imperial assault was then slowed by the intervention of Phantom Titans and an Avatar of Khaine.[1]
The war for Alaitoc had become a bloody war of attrition, one which the Imperium was seemed to be slowly prevailing in. Despite this and the continued Human advance, the Craftworld's Farseers foresaw ultimate victory for the Eldar. Nonetheless, the bloodshed continued as much of the Craftworld was laid to waste and even Titan warmachines destroyed by the Space Marine and Imperial Guard forces, while the dwindling Alaitoc's fleet continued to batter the Imperial Navy. The Space Marines, using their Chief Librarian to tap into one of the younger Eldar Farseers minds, were able to accurately predict and counter Eldar strategies. Chokepoints and close-quarters fighting in the confines of the Craftworld worked in the numerically superior Imperium's favor and against the more precise and sparsely deployed Aspect Warriors. But despite these advantages, the Imperial forces take massive losses to advance across even fractions of the Craftworlds surface.[2]

The decisive moment came when the Ranger Aradryan, who had discovered the real reason for the Craftworlds invasion before it had even begun, arrived on the Craftworld. Aradryan was able to convince the Sons of Orar Chapter Master that the attack had all been a ruse by the Dark Eldar. The Chapter Master, seeing that the entire purpose of the invasion had been for nothing and understanding to continue would see crippling losses for his Chapter, decides to abandon the siege of Alaitoc. With their Space Marine spearhead gone, the rest of the Imperial forces follow in the withdrawal. But while Alaitoc had survived the invasion, they had taken heavy losses and much damage to the Craftworld itself.[3]"

if you had took your head out of your ass when you were reading the fucking novel you would had noticed that the Imperium DID had a reason to attack the Craftworld and that when the Eldar proved that it was the Dark Eldar that were raiding the Imperium the imperial forces retreated
Blinded in a bolthole chapter 1 . 12/11/2012
I would call this story "within realm of possibility".

Though I DO believe in PotW they had brought wrath of the Imperium upon themselves. Imperials rarely fight eldar in their own homes, to costly, also troublesome.
psykotic addiction chapter 1 . 3/15/2012
I read that novel to! The reason is because all Eldar generally fall into 3 categories.

Defensive Eldar: Craftworlds who hide in human held sectors and use said human planets as meat shields against various attack and invasions, playing on both sides to ensure the sector remains the craftworlds own bubble rap.

Invasive Eldar: Dark Eldar, and Bitter craftworlds (like biel-tan and Saim-hann) that continously harass Imperial planets and ships simply for the purpose of "thinning out human vermin". Though they will compramise to fight a larger threat.

Exodites: Eldar colonies, that live very native lives. (though the imperium will ignore them if they are being used for something, like inquisition experiments)

The Imperium mostly experiences the invasive eldar, and as a whole don't care nearly enough to try and tell any of them apart. If anyone tried to find a peaceful (or less violent) solution this wouldn't be the "Grimdark Universe of 40k" now would it?
Lord Sia chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
Then again, you have Eldar Corsairs popping out of the Webway and pillaging human ships and worlds... Pretty much for the lulz. And armies and fleets suddenly appearing out of nowhere, sometimes attacking, sometimes assisting, sometimes leading other enemies straight into the Imperium - and you never know which until after they're gone, and usually not even then.

Eldar are far, far from innocent in the whole affair, as a whole - that does not make them a race of monsters though.
Warpwind chapter 1 . 11/24/2011
Aktis chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
This is just quibbling, I guess, but it helps to remember that the Imperium does have a reason for the things it does. It's horrible, not nice, and perhaps morally wrong, but it's also not represented here. All we see here is blind faith, which makes some sense, but not enough.

You did do an excellent job of showing us Andron's inner conflict, with that desperate back and forth crescendoing at the end. Very powerful, even if I don't agree that that is the conclusion he would have made.

Anyway, technically, your writing is fine, though I have mixed feeling about the tense change. On the one hand, you noticed it; on the other, you didn't change it. Not really sure what to think about that.

I hope some of this makes sense, and that you keep writing.
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
I think it's lovely! Well done!
Imperial warlord chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
Interesting story, but farmstead would fit in Exodite. Also read Path of the Seer. It's part 2 of the series and explains why Imperium is attacking and Space Marines that is attacking are called "The Sons of Orar." The closed Craftworld that has Exodite style is Saim-Hann craftworld.
Carlo Gesualdo chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
Well, uh . . . are you sure this is your first fic? You must have written something (original work?) before this? Right? Right?

Anyway- this is a good story. I like your emphasis on characterization- that's not something I usually associate with fanfiction, and it's nice to see it.

If you were going to continue it, there are some details which you may or may not want to take into account. You might know this already, but I feel obligated, since I do, and don't know if you do. First, the Imperium usually won't invade craftworlds without extreme provocation, as their last attempt (Alaitoc) was a horribly expensive failure- so you'd want to set this sometime before the dates of the Alaitoc invasion. Second, the only farmhouses on craftworlds would belong to disenfranchised Exodites: the "normal" crafworld Eldar don't do any manual labor.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a real canon fusspot, but I'm just trying to be helpful.
That guy83 chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
*Claps slowly*

Well done, very well done. Can't wait for more chapters if there is any.
wolfiuz1 chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
First, I would like to congradulate you, few fics have pulled me in like that. It is truthfully hard to believe this is your first fic, welcome to the fold of