Reviews for Petals On a Wet, Black Bough
IM CRYING OMG chapter 1 . 3/19
This killed me. You just shot me in my heart in the most beautiful way
Cariad-je chapter 5 . 11/15/2014
(oops, forgot to come off anon. That last review would be me :)
Guest chapter 5 . 11/15/2014
That is lovely. So aching, and so pleasing, and so lovely.

To do something like this- rather than the easier route of turning Erik and Charles diametrically against each other... it's the harder, but the more deeply resonant for it. I admire you so much for that - for the quality of your writing, and for the passionate intensity of experience that you somehow manage to convey, and most of all for demonstrating what forgiveness looks like, for realising that loneliness. (Realising, both in the sense of personally apprehending - and in the sense of making so vividly real to the reader...)

It's not only Erik...

Charles has barriers to break down of his own. And I think DOFP tried to show us that, with Logan in Erik's role here: a human Charles, drowning, making mistakes, flawed - stripped of his telepathy and robbed of his sister and crippled. But that seems so much cruder by comparison, to what you've achieved here: Charles didn't need to have everything taken away from him to be 'led back to the light'; in his XMFC, unerringly charming, compassionate gentle self, there's already such a...human fear, a personal reality to confront, a personal demon, a thing that he's been running away from, protecting himself and so isolating himself from, here. And that was the truer dragon than anything else he had to face on the breach - because that took true vulnerability..& so true bravery.

That if to be human is to reach out, and let yourself be touched with gentleness in return - the battle is for Charles' humanity, just as much as it is for Erik's. And I really love how you sketch out both. An Erik who..can look at Shaw, his tormentor - and see him. As he is, as a man - no more and no less. A Charles who...learns to not be alone. For all that he is a god, as his powers are drawn here - his struggle is the most human of all. to be brave enough to love, work a way out of that loneliness. Masterful, really. One of the favourite fics I've ever read, thank you.
Peridot5 chapter 5 . 11/14/2014
Wow! That was excellent. A great story idea and perfect execution of it.
heather03nmg chapter 5 . 10/7/2014
Absolutely loved it!
dandelion379 chapter 5 . 9/19/2014
A wonderfully well-written story you have got!

I very much adore the deep friendship between Charles and Erik, which is one of many reasons why I find your fic really enjoyable. And I think you have done their closeness justice and captured it perfectly. Ever since First Class, I have always felt that within Charles exists some kind of paradox: on one hand he seems to be really close and open to other people, yet on the other hand, all of his concerns and talks are never about himself. It is this realization that has me become overly attracted to Charles in the first place, aside from the incredibly good and kind and selfless traits of his (some of his philosophical, thought-provoking lines, also). With that in mind, I found myself beyond the point of absolute excitement when I decided to read this paticular fic of yours, one that is Charles-centric and so well thought out and perceives Charles and Erik's relationship as deep friendship, which I can tell, after lurking in this fandom for over 3 months or so, is very hard to find. Also, you have got a talent in writing, I believe. Your description of things, especially that of people's emotions, is outstanding. There are lots of good sentences with precise use of words, too. Great job!

Thank you so much for spending the time on this brilliant piece of writing (the length of each chapter and of the story as a whole has my eyes crawled out in sheer happiness!). Although there are some typos and misused tenses of verbs here and there, those are just inconsiquential details that affect the flow of the fic in no possible way (actually I can only find 2 or 3 or something). If you are actually considering a sequel, I will very much appreciate it! Hopefully it'll be up soon... Once again, thank you for this wonderful story you have shared with us. I'm looking forward to seeing you again some time soon.

P/S: I hope you don't mind the lengthy feedback and my the nitpicking habit of mine. Old habits die hard, I'm afraid.
Kay Hau chapter 5 . 7/17/2014
Finally! An awesome Charles-centered story where he really gets to shine! I've been looking all over for a Charles story that highlights his power as probably the most powerful telepath ever instead of just his role as a sort of leader/grandfather to the Xmen and mutant children. I especially loved your summary on his growing up, showing that it certainly wasn't a happy, beautiful, ignorant life, as well as your little descriptive comments on Charles from Erik's POV (lol, especially 'the naivete of a child with the pompousness of an old man'!). And we get a happy ending too?! AND the hope of a sequel?! My goodness, you're totally spoiling us readers! Thanks for an incredible story and hoping for more!
dada.zhoufova chapter 5 . 6/22/2014
Wooow, this was...beautiful, extraordinary. I wish First Class ended this way, with catharsis such as this, rather than the whole bitter ending.
PLEASE, sequel would be most awesome. I'd read that and reread that 10 times. 3
I cannot really think of any objection - your writting is close to flawless, and I was pulled in by the plot completely. So amazing...*awe*
SingBenihime chapter 5 . 6/8/2014
Absolutely beautiful! I love how deeply your explored Charles' powers, and his and Erik's friendship. Also, you used some awesome literary techniques to get across Charles' telepathy in chapter...2 or 3? Sorry, I've literally been reading this constantly for about an hour.

But..yeah. Brilliant fic, really well done!

(love me some angsty/powerful!Charles 3)
weemcg33 chapter 5 . 6/1/2014
I so want this to have been in the film, it would've been awesome. Poor Charles, he just needs someone to see through all the bullshit and that someone would definitley be Erik.
Thank you so much for this story, I will certainly be reading it again and again.
It's now one of my favs!
weemcg33 chapter 4 . 6/1/2014
It was so cool seeing how different things would've been had Erik been pulled into Charles mind. It was very believeable and I would loved it if they'd done it this way in the movie but then things would have turned out very differently.
Awesome!
weemcg33 chapter 3 . 6/1/2014
I do love a snarky, annoyed, exhausted Charles lol This chapter was great, can't wait to find out how you change the beach scene.
weemcg33 chapter 2 . 5/31/2014
I loved how you described all the pain and memories, letting us see why Charles needed to set up those shields and what it truly means when they were stripped away. That would be enough to drive anyone insane, all those voices. *shudders* just want to give him a hug.
weemcg33 chapter 1 . 5/31/2014
WOW! This was definitley not what I expected when I started reading this, but I have to say it's absolutley amazing. You're a very talented author, I could practically feel Charles' pain.
I thought James did a wonderful job as the professor and you have outdone yourself in writing him.
Well done!
PuraStones chapter 5 . 5/22/2014
"..."
Yeah, my mind stopped working after reading your story. Your. story. kicks. ass! Oh how badly I wish the movie had ended this way!