Reviews for Watches of a Samhain Night
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 11/4/2013
Wow. What a trio; and it's clear that she loves Amelia best.

But no anger against dear old Dumbledore who ruined her relationship with Severus in the worst possible way?

A very good story!
FlashFiction chapter 1 . 2/6/2012
Whilst I kind of like the J. back story, I liked yours too and I agree that Minerva isn't the kind of woman to grieve over a teenage crush. I liked how you wrote about her father and what he thought about her powers.

One thing, and I may sound really stupid, but what exactly is Samhain? It sounds interesting. What culture is it from?
moira of the mountain chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
It never ceases to amaze me... You have the gift to write Minerva as though you'd sat with her as a trusted friend with whom she'd share her deepest confidences.

I found great poignancy in the fact that Severus will only come to her fully robed... still questioning his welcome. I greatly appreciated the tenderness of maturity as she acknowledged just how much she'd truly valued her late husband. And Amelia - so full of life - even in death she could show you just how to LIVE ! Each vignette, a perfect portrait - and your narrator - I love the salt and vinegar of that voice.
Tea for Lupin chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
Another beautifully-crafted story Kelly!

Like you I find it hard to buy the extraordinarily monogamous romantic history of most of the main characters, not to mention the whole 'everyone ends up with their childhood sweethearts' part of Book 7... Is it just me or is that the most unrealistic part of this world full of magic...?

Anyway, back to the point in hand.

'Minerva's close friends (and there aren't many; she doesn't make such commitments lightly or easily) might believe that she never stopped loving Amelia Bones, but you'll have to decide that for yourself. It's certainly not something Minerva will ever discuss with you.' I love your omniscient narrator; simultaneously such great intimacy and such great distance.

'In fact, after Elphinstone died (from a senseless accident with a Venomous Tentacula; you'd better believe that Minerva is extra-vigilant about plant safety in the Hogwarts greenhouses),' there is a WHOLE separate story to be told here, isn't there?

'In the end, they had taken each other to bed. No strings, they said. It means nothing, they said. It's just a bit of comfort, they said. It's not about love. They said all these things that first night - - and on the many nights thereafter that they came together to share their not-love.' So perfectly the dynamic of Minerva and Severus: you depict them so well.

Thanks for another wonderful read!
McGonagall's Bola chapter 1 . 12/3/2011
I very much enjoyed this piece - loved the style in which you wrote this.
Krazy Kimmy chapter 1 . 11/17/2011
Aww, I like this.

It's... passionate, strong-worded; and perfectly Minerva! :D
aptasi chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
I like this very much. You have a real skill for writing relationships in a more emotionally mature way (I think) than the way cannon perceives them. There's also a very interesting way of interrelating the past and how it affects the present and the fact that we do move on from the past (one that JKR perhaps, occasionally forgets).
katiealice49 chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
I saw this fic waiting in my inbox and noticed it was a Harry Potter and so, as my Internet is slow and the author hadn't yet shown, wished it would be you. Yay for it coming true! You made my day when I saw it was Minerva/Severus!

Yeah, like you, I too disagree with JK's story for Minerva. I just can't see it that way.

I much prefer this one! Well done.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
What beautiful, powerful writing.

I love the narrrator, or rather story-teller's voice. And the description of the ghosts is extremely vivid, especially the first one.

This is the Minerva I love. I somehow knew I would be disappointed by JKR's backstory. For one thing, it really lacks originality and I hate the message it gives to youngsters. If you are disappointed in love, you should pine away the rest of your Life? (The capital L was a typo, but I'm leaving it, because it fits.)

You really know Minerva better than anyone.

(P.S.: Anticlimax, I know, but you have a typo in the part about Amelia. "Study, compact body" should probably be "sturdy".)
Vera Rozalsky chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
You write ghosts as human-but-not-quite; what's _not_ there is just as important as what's there, because a specter is an absence. But my oh my, what a splendid riposte to the easy angst of the original material!