Reviews for The Long Road
Jflattermann chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
This is sad and yet full of hope and love. Beautiful!
mrupperhill chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
It was too short. However, I do appreciate the backstory, and history. I think to reinspire or rewrite it to be a longer story, I would rewrite using some assets of Silmarillion and of your own without any infringement on Tolkien's work. You can dig into Elrond's past as to why he was a noble spirit, and try to tie it to lord of the rings. I liked the rhyme, of the story. It did keep my attention. Dig into copyright if you must. Search and learn it well. This is well written, but needs more backbone to the character. I came here out of a recommendation.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
Well, damn. This is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
thinkdragonage chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
Really powerful piece. Thanks for sharing it.
beastthebeauty chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
Wow.. this was beautiful. This is my first time in the LotR fandom and I'm glad I started here. You are incredibly talented, and this piece is amazing. I love not only the relationship you captured here, but the way you captured it.

"I am sorry, dear one, so sorry to have left you, that our paths have diverged, and will never cross again in our lifetimes." There's so much sadness here and it makes me wonder if there's regret here as well for his choice.

"I joy in this, that through all these Ages that will ring of swords and taste of blood you will not be alone, for you will find love in the arms of a faithful lady and in the eyes of innocent babes." I love that he blesses his brother with a long and prosperous life. It sucks that they won't ever see each other again, but everything will be alright in the end.

There's so much love in this passage. These two are brothers in every sense of the word; and even in death, the bond they share with each other will never be broken.

SO good.
TikiPrincess chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Such beautiful musings.

I love the language and imagery captured here. The cadence of the words has that flowing Elvish quality to it.

"Perhaps that which lies Beyond is just that, beyond all our thoughts and hopes and greater than our minds can comprehend! Yes, that is what I believe." - One of my favorite lines. Then again, I'm partial to existential thoughts and philosophical musings.

Despite the sadness throughout, knowing that these are his last words to Elrond, it ends with hope and love. I guess it could be said that it's bittersweet, but I don't think that word completely captures the essence of it. There's the sense of enduring, of fidelity, that leaves me feeling content instead of melancholy.
darkaccalia520 chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
Oh, my; this was such a bittersweet story. I don't really know the characters here, but you certainly convey the strong bond these two must have had. How very sad that Elros and Elrond won't be able to see one another in the flesh again. However, you make it clear that their paths will cross again in the afterlife. I love that Elros foresees a rich future for Elrond. I hope it comes true. A truly beautiful story here! I really enjoyed it. Well done. :)
aydentheamicable chapter 1 . 1/27/2013
Absolutely beautiful. You wrote this piece with a certain beauty that few have and though I can't say I'm super familiar with the fandom just yet, it didn't even seem to matter. Some of my favorite lines were in the beginning, as he was talking about death and the afterlife. It gives you the feeling that he has had a lot of time to think of such things and that every last bit of both faith and wisdom into this letter and it comes out in your writing. He speaks like he has accepted death and I feel as if he is trying to calm his brother or at least reassure him that everything will be alright, which is so incredibly impacting. What really shines through is simply his selflessness. He doesn't blame his brother or pin their separation on his brother, but himself. Truly, he comes across as any King should. Noble and wise but also responsible for his actions, and as thoughtful as any. You really get the feeling of how dearly important this letter was to him and I am sure that when received, it would be just as important to Elrond. You simply capture so much emotion in this one letter that I can't even imagine how hard it was to write, for I was tearing up by the end of it. You have a gift of both incredibly writing style that was just right for Lord of the Rings based piece and being able to affect your reader; both equally as valuable. Your formatting was perfect and there weren't any glaringly obvious spelling or sentence errors. Everything about this story truly defines beauty, and I have seen few fics that can say the same.
Meloriel chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
Wow. This was a poignant little piece.
I find one of the troubles I have with reading Lotr fanfiction, is the language and sentence structure can get out of hand. This is definitely not the case here. Your writing it elaborate and fluid, very 'Middle Earth' without being long winded or confusing.
I really enjoyed this piece and will taking a look at your other work! Keep it up!
Inkfire chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
I just don't really know how to comment on this, it was so… beautiful. Your writing was flawless, smooth and elegant and full of beautiful images and feelings, it conveyed such hope, such love, and described memories and questions about what may lie beyond death in an absolutely stunning way. It was just splendid.
MessengerOfDreams chapter 1 . 1/23/2013

It is not often I envy a writer and their gift, as I am content with my own. And yet... I find myself in awe of the skill you possess. You weave words in such gorgeous ways, so poetically, as consistent and fluid as a river. The two characters are defined so well, and the bond is so strong. Your words, his words, his promises, his declarations, so marvelously put forth that I cannot believe such a story is found here, for free, for anyone who ventures to see. It is marvelous, miraculous writing that brings me to tears. You have a marvelous skill- do not forget that!

If this had never been picked for Story of the Week at the Reviews' Lounge and I had chanced upon it, I'd have picked it myself. Bear in mind that I know little to naught about Lord of the Rings- books or movies. This story is the type that is transcendent of little things like that.

Thank you for this piece!
Galvantula866 chapter 1 . 1/22/2013
It's been ages since I saw LoTR, but from what I've read it seems like Elros wants Elrond to move on with his life and not dwell on his passing. It really reads like a posthumous letter someone would write to family, from the hopes he wishes to fulfill but never will, to the dreams that were dashed before they could come to life, to his fears and doubts that sadly became all too real to the brothers.

It wasn't too long,nor too short; it does look and feel like a letter someone may write on the off-chance they would die before fully setting their affairs in order. The closing line was my favorite part out of all of this, since it fills the reader with a sense of hope, that life will get better no matter what hardships remain in this life. It's sad, but there's a feeling of hope here.
StormyMonday chapter 1 . 1/22/2013
Hello! :)

I have to confess, I don't really know much about this fandom, but as others have said, this was a lovely piece. Elros celebrates Elrond's life rather than focusing on the grief and loss, which is the case more often than not. Even in (fan)fiction, a lot of writers tend to be overly dramatic when writing about the death of a character, so I'm really glad you went the opposite route here. (Please forgive if this view is canon. As I said, pretty well fandom blind here. :)

I love that Elros speaks of hope, and his belief that death is not finite, but rather a transition to something better. I found the memory of the beach and collecting shells and starfish striking - it's colorful, and warm, and radiates serenity and happiness - as if everything was right with the world.

Again, amazing, and I'm very glad I got to read this. :)
Esther Huffleclaw chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
This is so beautiful. Several times, I had shivers running up and down my spine as I read. You are truly a master of words.

My favourite passage:
"We will meet again in a world that is peaceful and in a time that is kind to two young beings whose childhoods were far too short. We will meet again on the far side of the deepest of all seas, that of death and that of the world's end, where our ruin and our shame will all be as nothing beside our triumph and our love. We will meet again where the flowers will bloom unafraid of shadows and darkness marring their beauty, where battlecries shall fade to love songs and dirges to hymns. We will meet again, and never again shall we be parted."

I could feel the grief and the joy, the love and the loneliness so strongly. Each sentence, each phrase, is achingly beautiful.

One typo: "But I ran off and up and down the sands and found odd little things, conch shells, starfish, bits of coral washed up from far away, and bring them back, brimming with excitement over the latest discovery." There's a tense shift in the middle there; it should be "brought them back," rather than "bring them back."

I love how it ends with hope, and with love. This is an incredibly well-crafted, stunning piece. Thank you.
ShadedRogue chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
This was a very lovely piece of work. I, unfortunately, don't really know much about the history of Elros aside from what information you gave us in this story, so I'm not sure I quite understand it the way you intended, but what I got from it was that Elros decided to take the human path, while Elrond took the path of the elf, and in that he will die while Elrond lives on. The language you use in Elros' letter is beautifully constructed. It's smooth, poety, and flows almost lyrically, yet its simple enough that you don't get distracted by flowery prose. I really get a sense of the emotions, and the nostalgia of Elros, when he describes their childhood and how he longs for a time when they can meet again, when things will be as simple and peaceful as they were before.

- "...bits of coral washed up from far away, and bring them back..." - 'bring them back' seems like it should be 'brought them back'