Reviews for The Choice
Wowed Reader chapter 1 . 1/30/2012
I am impressed! I'd like it to be noted for the record that I come to every story I read with an open mind and low expectations. Low expectations mean that I can only be surprised and never be disappointed. This, young lady, was astonishing. Thank you for making my day; this was a pleasure to read. I hope you continue to write and enter competitions because I am sure you would win. Once more, thank you for bringing such a treat to the world!

The Picky Reader That Has Been Impressed
Krishnaa chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
wow... loved it... as always, it left me wanting more... was danno really asleep all through that!... i mean seriously, he's Danno and a father... so how about his point of view next...!

Anyways have a great thanksgiving and give my regards & love to your family and friends... and please write more soon!

Loads of love,

Krish
GraceGraceGrace chapter 1 . 11/24/2011
Man, this is intense!

I could so visualize this happening, though. And given all that's happened this year, it's a scenario McG really may face.

Beautifully written. You tell a lovely tale.
ncismom chapter 1 . 11/21/2011
If I had to use one word to describe this story, it would be powerful. You captured Steve's innermost thoughts and struggles so perfectly that the reader is feeling the angst along with Steve. So well written and so poignant. WoW! What a great way to start the day! Nicely done my friend!
sym64 chapter 1 . 11/20/2011
I always wondered how Steve would cope with all the stuff that has happened in his life so far. Not just the very personal stuff like losing his mother while a teenager or his father being killed while he had to listen to his killing on the phone. But also and maybe even more so the stuff he had to do and seen during his time with Naval Intelligence and later while being a SEAL. A life like that will leave scars and you portrayed one side of the toll that all of it has on his psyche in a brilliant way. Nightmares are for sure one site-effect he would suffer.

Your writing was as always top notch, even though in the beginning I was going ‘huh is she going for a different style this time?’ – I don’t know can’t explain it but the first few sentences felt ‘different’.

However I’m not so sure about the solutions Steve contemplated. I’m absolutely certain that suicide would never be an option for Steve, I highly doubt that Steve would ever think about offing himself to solve a problem. That would be the coward’s way out and Steve might be many things, but a coward he certainly isn’t. Besides he would never leave his family behind to deal with the grief, he would never inflict that kind of pain on them willingly.

I can however see him thinking about going back to active duty. That surely would be an option, but of course his ohana would still be after Wo Fat and still be in danger without him there to protect them, so you came to the ‘right’ conclusion that option is out as well.

I actually had to laugh a little when I read your choice. Giving up? Never! But one thing first if he ever had to give up on anything I’m sure your description of his feelings are spot on. I’m sure it would physically hurt him willingly to give up, because it’s totally against his nature.

But honestly I think he would never come to that conclusion, I’m sure his solution of the problem would be to actively go after Wo Fat, which he didn’t do yet on the show. I think his solution would be to eliminate the thread, not run away from it. Just my opinion but of course I can be wrong, but I doubt it, simply because that would not guarantee everybody's safety.

I think this is the flaw in your story (okay not a flaw but where our opinions are not on the same page), you think that Steve did go after Wo Fat actively, but I don’t. He investigated what came along, he investigated his crimes and organization but did not go after the man himself.

Wo Fat wants McGarrett dead, no matter if McG goes after him or not. Everyone around him will always be in danger as long as that man is alive. Steve knows that and not investigating him further solves nothing.

Besides if Steve really were on a crusade as you think he is, well than nothing else would matter to him. But that’s not the case, he does his job with Five-0 and that’s not a job you can phone in, he spends time outside of work with his ohana. Quite frankly for a guy on a ‘crusade’ Steve is pretty relaxed. Yeah well okay he has his moments of insanity, going after Jameson on his own for example, but overall he’s not possessed by the thought of revenge. Hence not on a crusade. Did I just use ‘hence’?

Anyway, loved the little story and look inside Steve’s psyche but was not happy with your conclusion, but hey that’s the beauty of fiction, you can love something that you don’t concur with.

Looking forward to your next story, always a pleasure to read your work.
Gibbongobbin chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
aw, poor steve :( i would NOT want to have nightmares like these lol. wonderful story though :)

i was wondering if there was a way you could get a hold of and send me the picture that inspired this particular story, i'd love to see it :)

peace
Qweb chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
Poor Steve. Terrible nightmares and he has to hide them. So he decides to lay off Wo Fat. But does Wo Fat know that? Good story.
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
wow that was soooo intense!

great story!
shirik chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
very well written! Happy Thanksgiving!
lynnrxgal chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
This was a great "in between" (even though we have not seen 2.10 yet!)
GreenEyes09 chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
Great story
Shakespeare's Lemonade chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
This was really well-written, and I think a couple of devices you used were particularly effective. One was Steve's dream about Grace and how that made him rethink everything all at once. I mean, seeing his family killed in his dreams was bad enough, but Grace is somehow worse, for Steve and the audience. The other thing was that Steve actually contemplated suicide. This doesn't seem like him, but under the circumstances, I can comepletely believe it. If he didn't know it wouldn't work, I think he might do it. These things make the ending make sense. We can't imagine Steve giving upon anything, but the way you set it up works perfectly with his personality. Great job.
cytpotter chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
I really liked your story... I too have been thinking about what Joe said to Steve at the end of that episode... It really bugged me(unfortunately like a few other things that Joe has said in some of the episodes!) and I could really see it bothering Steve as well because of who said it. Poor Steve I could really see him tortured by nightmares though I'm not sure if the decision he came to at the end of your story would actually work... I really can't see Wo Fat giving up his game with McGarrett so easily even if Steve is no longer actively looking for him. I still enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing!
francis2 chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
Oh my, poor Steve. You wrote this so well I could feel his emotions. Wow!
Gone2Far chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
Very well thought out. Wonderfully in character.