Reviews for The Games We Play
MuggleCreator chapter 15 . 5/25/2014
;D
Again, brilliant. Brilliant. The chess analogy and everything with Jim's mind...
Wow. :)
WeirdLittleStories chapter 14 . 10/30/2013
It's been obvious from the beginning that Jim has to be the King, but having him be the OPPOSING king, that was an inspired idea!
Heather Snow chapter 15 . 6/13/2013
As I progressed through this story, it became more familiar, and I realized that I have indeed read it before. And just like last time, I really do not understand Chapter 14 with the end game resolution, Kirk's speech, etc. I enjoyed the story in general, but I'm sure it'd be better if I could "get" the climax. :-/ {shrug}
Heather Snow chapter 2 . 6/13/2013
When I'm sitting down to read a story, I usually do not comment until I get to the last completed chapter, but I had to stop here. I love your Q. As I said on Second-Best Destiny, you do a wonderful job with his characterization. So often he's a two-dimensional stereotype. But, in this story, I am actually kind of *liking* Q, which is, of course, somewhat disturbing ;-) He's still officious, but with a good motivating reason this time. And I love this part:

"You may keep the visual aids at the end of the lesson if you desire, James," Q said with a charmed grin, legs crossed and hands folded on his knees.

The burn in his cheeks spread to his ears, and he resisted the urge to tell the deity where he could shove his visual aids.
timetravelingowl chapter 15 . 6/4/2013
Fantastic. Utterly fantastic. Thank you for the brilliant read.
Elionu chapter 15 . 2/10/2013
Oh. My. Gosh. This was such an incredible story!
g chapter 15 . 11/25/2012
WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP (cheering) WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP

SO GOOD! GREAT ENDING(?)! I SO SO SO SO hope to read another sequel, I think out of all the Star Trek stories I've read, Original Series and new movies, this is probably my favorite story of all of them! Just amazing! Thanks for sharing!
Mister D8a chapter 1 . 11/13/2012
Brilliant!
batfan7 chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
I had read the first section of this story before (up to the point that Kirk regains his eyesight, then decided to wait for it to be finished before coming back to it - and I think I'm glad I did! Otherwise the angst would have killed me! You KILLED EVERYONE! Okay, no, you actually saved most of the command crew and it was pretty heavily hinted that it was all Q's fault, so it would probably be reversed before the end, but still...ANGST! I felt so bad for our poor captain. Seriously, at one point I had to go do something else or I'd start crying. So you did a phenominal job of putting your readers into the head of one James Kirk for this story. And considering what you did to the poor man, I'd say that I found his reactions really well thought out. He was obviously trying (and sometimes failing) to keep himself together, which was such a realistic response. I truly hate it when stories have some sort of major tragedy and the main character goes on with life as if their current circumstances are so all-consuming that they can't be bothered to have the tragedy affect them. I felt that you did a wonderful job on how you managed to have death of Kirk's ship/crew feel like it powerfully impacted him - to the point of being thoughtless and needing to have a stern talking-to - but which also felt like he wasn't going to commit suicide in a fit of melodrama either. (As a side note, will Kirk be getting any kind of counseling after all this trauma? I'd guess he could use it but would do his best to wiggle out of it anyway)

On the plot itself, I thought it was clever too. At first I was thinking you'd have Kirk somehow try to offer himself in exchange for his crew - perfectly in keeping with his character, but totally missing the point of the whole exercise. I liked the solution though, where he mentally 'tips his king' in surrender (rather than getting shot, since that also seems like it would have been counterproductive). The thoughts on who would be what piece on the chess board was interesting. It didn't occur to me at all until you had Kirk figure it out that the ship itself would be a piece, but it soooo makes sense and was a brilliant move on your part. Thinking about your positioning of pieces though, I think I would have kept Spock as a Rook and placed Scotty as one of the Bishops, but I did like your inclusion of Old Spock, so no complaints there :-) The whole premise of the plot was to get Kirk to realize his importance, and I think you managed that very well.

I don't know if you'd consider a sequel (the question mark at the end certainly made that a possibility), but it looks to me like you've set yourself up for a lot of room for possibilities. Q could do anything, after all! I'd love to see it, if you do.

Oh, and I found the fact that Kirk never even considered whether Old Kirk and Old Spock had set off the ship's self destruct perfectly reasonable. Old Kirk /had/ destroyed the Enterprise at one point, but not with all hands on-board and for no apparent reason! Jim's total belief in that was completely...logical.

Anywho, loved it, as I love most everything you write! Could I plead (with puppy dog eyes) for a sequel to 'The Doctor's Doctor'?
Agent ERA chapter 15 . 9/22/2012
I really loved this story and I would definitely love to read more stories with Younger Kirk's counterpart(and Younger Spock's counterpart) in them. This was fantastic take on the universe. You have the best Star Trek fanfiction I have ever read.
Servant05 chapter 15 . 9/22/2012
I was so excited to see you back! I have missed your geniusness for the written word. This was a great wrap up to an amazing story!

Thanks so much!
Fumm95 chapter 15 . 9/22/2012
*dun dun duuuuun*

Now I'm really curious. Great epilogue!
reflekshun chapter 15 . 9/22/2012
Tres bien, tres bien! Thank you so much for sharing this very good story with us!
PuppyBeBad chapter 15 . 9/22/2012
I didn't realize you were going to do an epilogue, I figured it was finished.

I do hope Q makes another appearance this series is great
izzybizzy333 chapter 14 . 8/26/2012
Loved this, but where is the promised epilogue? According to fanfiction, you haven't updated in a year. Btw, loved the sherlock reference. The great game indeed.