Reviews for If only I had Learnt
Pfachgirl chapter 42 . 5/19
One of the most capturing stories I've read here on FFN. I must confess to reading it all in one night (and are now to go face today's classes without any sleep...)
As I myself am blind, I was most surprised by how well you captured not only the practical things such as the marking of the playing cards and the prejudices that unfortunately are quite common even today, but also the feelings of the blind characters and their relative. Very impressive! I wonder if you have based it on personal experience?
Thank you for a wonderful story!
“None of the girls here fear for the menservants or the guests”
Now that’s a real advantage of working for Lady Catherine I never considered.
A young maid would gladly put up with quite a bit of Lady Catherine’s demanding ways so as not to be raped and manhandled by a master, his male guests and the dominant male servants.
If Elizabeth could maintain her lifestyle for "her lifetime" and live at Longbourn, knowing the way a wife must submit to their husband, I don’t blame her
But she is forgetting, when her father dies she will have nowhere except maybe her uncle and aunt and the Phillips would have her marry any available man and she would have no say.
Why would her father think she would enjoy herself as a guest of the Collins?
Men ruled the roost and Mr Bennet knew that Collins living was gotten from a domineering patroness.
p.s. and there would be no mention of marriage from Wickham either.
but even to marry a Militia lieutenant would be a very poor life and living for such a wife.
It's not the kiss that would be the worry with Lydia it would be the sampling of further delights that Wickham wanted.
I don't think Darcy need to tell all Bingley just need to say he heard the officers saying they wanted sport with the young girls and that should suffice.
Now this is an interesting turn up for the books.
Bingley being told off for his flirtatious behaviour towards women.
Good on Darcy’s sense of fair play, not just protecting the boys.
"Enough, Louisa, the fact you are settled with your husband does not give you leave to so readily air your opinions regarding my own marital prospects"
I am glad someone finally pointed this out!
I often wondered about the people that delivered these messages when the weather was too inclement for the gentry to travel.
How many of them died of flu once they were wet, they would be poorly clothes and fed also.
JoPoGirlsKickAss chapter 42 . 4/25
This was amazing! :D No words.
Sar'Kalu chapter 42 . 4/20
Beautiful. I have no other words than beautiful and thank you, you have been kind.

- Sar'Kalu
EngLitLover chapter 42 . 4/15
Wow what a great plot. I only wish you had a chapter or two of HEA. But no matter, it was still really good.
Dimac99 chapter 42 . 4/14
I might have slightly stayed up all night reading again... Goodness, you really love putting them through the wringer! I quite liked this Lady Catherine, oddly enough, but I've never disliked Anne so much. And Mr Collins was genuinely quite menacing. Poor Charlotte. Lizzie was quite eight about the plot, straight out of a circulating novel! ;-) Wonderfully entertaining.
avantika.srinivasan chapter 42 . 4/9
Such a beautiful, thoughtful, well written story. I look forward to reading more of your work