Reviews for Saruman of many Devices
EVA-Saiyajin chapter 3 . 2/5/2012
excellent chapter, as always. You think you might be going a bit far with Eomer? Keep up the great work!
Yukilumi chapter 3 . 2/5/2012
Exstremely facinating. Been following this since the first chapter. I'm really surprised at the lack of reviews you've been getting - I guess LotR fandom is quite slow on the update, but I was expecting a hundred at least p

Very unique, very well written. Never seen a fic quite like this in LotR. Saruman makes such an interesting character. I admit, I'm not a fan of technology in a fantasy setting - I quite detest it, in fact - but you make it work. Kudos!

For complains, the only thing that really bugged me is the increasing OC focus, like the Uruk-Hai commanders. I just don't give a damn about them personally - I want to see more of Saruman, the inventions, and how his advanced army is going to influence/conquer the world, and the reactions to that.

I'm really happy that you keep updating this, I always know I'm in for a good read when I see a new chapter )
EVA-Saiyajin chapter 2 . 1/22/2012
freaking excellent! I agree about how the Rohirrim aren't completely innocent, or even anywhere near innocent. Plus, you included how the Dunlendings brought an army to cow Rohan into submission, which shows to readers that they too certainly aren't completely in the right. The bit with Lurtz and his men showing off the Isen (a good name by the way) to Arwen was a bit wrong to me though, both for it being too much pointless showing off and the elves could very well become their enemy, no need to blatantly show what one can do. Am I correct in assuming the Saruman being so different frmo in canon (movie or books, though mainly movie) is because he wasn't influenced by Sauron through the Palantir? Anyways, keep up the excellent work!
yog chapter 2 . 1/22/2012
Very good. Politics and plot derailment and further technological advances. Liked how you showed the importance of logistics (roads).
MutantRancor chapter 2 . 1/21/2012
Interesting changes. I am curious how this will affect the overall course of the story.

The prospect of the company of White Hand troops following the Fellowship, which Saruman brought up but never came into play because Arwen got there first, put me in mind of the game The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, in which a mixed group of several humans, an elf, and a dwarf did just that. Non-canon, of course, but it would have been interesting for the two groups to bump into each other. Have you played it?

Speaking of Arwen, does this mean that you've settled on the movie version of events, playing out on the book version's timeline? (Officially, the movie version probably has the same timeline, but it's impossible to tell from watching how much time passes between scenes.) And will Glorfindel, the rest of Aragorn's Dunedan rangers, and other book-only characters not be putting in an appearance?

I am looking forward to the next chapter. I am VERY MUCH looking forward to it, and reminded why I put this story on my Favorites list after just one chapter.

Eagerly awaiting more (practically drooling at the thought),

-MutantRancor
LordSamiel chapter 2 . 1/21/2012
Nice to see you update!

Great chapter, I think you are almost the only one that describes the geopolitical status that well, in any of the Lotr-fanfics on this site.

Interesting to see representatives of Isengard at the council. Boromir might actually survive this time, since Saruman is on their side in this matter.

Great story, looking forward to what happens next.
Ashynarr chapter 2 . 1/21/2012
I cheered when I saw this. Seriously.

It's nice to see the changes that are being made to the main storyline while still feeling like the original story. I haven't read the books myself, but thanks to movie magic, I could picture pretty much the whole chapter in my head.

Oh, more modern (for us) weaponry? It seems that new and shiny (explosive) things are to come... ahh, the magic of grenades. What problems haven't they solved in combat games?

Don't worry about timeliness. I'm patient enough to wait for you to polish your stories until they shine. :D
Happerry chapter 2 . 1/21/2012
One question. If Lurtz's unit has 'refugees from Moria' then how do they not know what happened to it later on in Elrond's council?

Other then that... yay an update!
EVA-Saiyajin chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
great story so far, I don't believe I've ever read a fanfic like this before. Great details as well, very well written. Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more!
Freehawk chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
great story so far, quite interesting. Keep up the good work!
Happerry chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
This was a very nice idea. I hope you continue it.
yog chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
A supremely interesting idea. So... Airships? It should be very possible to make them. They are obviously not at the point of making radios, but with this rate of advancement... Also - magitech? One shouldn't ignore the fact that magic is real.
Bad Habits chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
This was pretty cool though I can understand why Gandalf wouldn't go along with Saruman. Even though I know he's supposed to be the good guy in this I'm still wondering when the other shoe's going to drop, when something he's missed will rise up and bite him in the ass and send all his plans tumbling into the crapper. He's still infected with the mania he displayed in the movies, it's just directed in a more benign direction which means that unless he's incredibly lucky something will go horribly wrong. Maybe not catastrophically, but still horribly.
LordSamiel chapter 1 . 11/24/2011
great story!

I don't believe I have ever read a story where Saruman improves and thinks for himself. In this scenario he is no longer a tool of Sauron, but his own man and the biggest threat against the conservative forces of man and elf.

Would love to see this continued. Keep up the good work
Robert chapter 1 . 11/23/2011
A promising start, well written.

Gandalf didn't realise Bilbo's ring might be the One until long after Smaug was dead, but it's plausible enough he wouldn't bother mentioning this: Saruman wouldn't believe him.

While Gandalf is wrong on several points, he does have good reason to be concerned. Sauron too was a Maiar of Aule, who sent to help the world with his engineering skills. In the early second age he was sincere in his good intentions, but when elves and men refused to cooperate with his grand schemes he decided to force them, hence the Rings of Power.

There's a very real danger of Saruman walking the same path, even though all contact with Sauron has been cut - conquer Gondor when they try to cast him down, spend a few centuries suppressing the resistance, and end up with a totalitarian mirror of Mordor. Central's advice will help, but an immortal god-king does not make for an healthy society.

There is a solution though: renounce political power, which plays into Tolkien's themes. Put the new military technology at the disposal of the high king, and found the university of Isengard. This wouldn't be easy, but the pay off is high, including the redemption of the orcs.

You may well have a better plan, of course, and all this is for the long term anyway. In the short term Saruman must decide what part to play in the coming war, and whether to unwind his schemes in Rohan and the Shire. It'll be interesting to see what he does.
541 | « Prev Page 1 .. 26 33 34 35 36 37 Next »