Reviews for Hope Triumphant III: Anamchara
FanLass chapter 32 . 2/18
I finally read your last chapter and liked the way the loos ends were tied up. Thank you for wonderful story and am looking forward to red more,
A few days ago I was looking for an ebook to throw on my kindle... and found an incomplete saga I had saved years ago. Thank you for making it available even though the website I wrote down is long gone, and thank you for sticking with it all these years. I thoroughly enjoyed both rediscovering the characters, and finding out what happened. I'm looking forward to the next chapter, and I hope your still willing to share it!
Nonnie chapter 32 . 8/16/2014
Wow! I've loved this series for a long time, and I'm really excited to see that it's still going. I love the way you mesh canon and wild imagination to bring your world to life. I'm looking forward to the next fic!
Dlander1701 chapter 1 . 3/18/2014
I cannot believe you have finally finished it! You have done an amazing job with the characters that originated on Highlander and creating your own characters and fitting them in seamlessly into the Highlander Universe.
The Hope Series doesn't just chronicle a few years in the characters lives or even decades it spans centuries, and you have managed to intelligently and logically move them through time.
Highlander the Series was able to create interesting characters such as Cassandra, but time, budget, and censors made it impossible to truly fill out her story. Many of Cassandra's actions in the episodes that she was featured in did not make sense to the audience and were hotly debated in the forums after the episodes aired. Many on the forums saw her only as obsessive raging shrew out to get Methos and dismissed the trauma of what she went through. Part of the reason for that is TV censors made it impossible for the writers to show the violence that the character had endured at the hands of the Horsemen and Roland. The Hope Series, while difficult to read at times, brilliantly fills in the holes left by the movies and tv series. This is a must read for Highlander fans! I only wish you could be published or filmed. This would have been a thousand times better than Highlander Endgame or Highlander The Source.
Thank you for the time and effort you have put into this, it has been a joy to read and I am eagerly awaiting Hope Triumphant IV: Mother!
Parda chapter 25 . 3/12/2014
Keithallen was absolutely correct to put quotes around the word "hero" when referring to Connor and Chelle. They're not heroes; they're immortals. They're warped by the Game they have to play. In my opinion, that's true for all immortals, though some handle it better than others. In this story, Connor in particular is on a downward slide from hero toward villain. In later chapters, he will take some punishment for what he's done.

What I was trying to show in the chapter "Something Wicked" was that Terah's actions of killing Tomas and trying to kill Chelle weren't the deciding factors, just the triggers that made Chelle reevaluate the situation. The fact that Terah had been sexually abused was not a mitigating factor, or any kind of factor at all, since Chelle killed Terah and Connor killed Tomas because - and only because - Terah and Tomas were child Immortals.

Connor and Chelle consider it a mercy killing. It wasn't a normal episode of the Game to them, which is why they never give Terah or Tomas a chance to fight back. Was it the right decision? Some would say yes, some would say no. It's definitely a horrific decision.

In this story, I tried to explain why Connor and Chelle (and most of the other older immortals) think it's necessary to kill child immortals, even though they feel it's wrong. They also feel guilty and ashamed, and Connor and Chelle don't much like themselves or each other for doing it.

Parda
LizIs chapter 25 . 3/7/2014
keithallen: I agree it was a devastating chapter. But good fiction is not about perfect people always making the right decisions. It's about flawed people doing what they think is right at the time, whatever those reasons may be, and sometimes making very bad decisions as a result. Parda's characters definitely fit into the latter category. It's one of the reasons they make the reader react so strongly to their actions. You start to see them as people, not just characters. I don't think any of the characters became "villains" in this chapter, though. Villains would not have been traumatized or felt the remorse that Connor and Chelle did.

Perhaps the chapter needed a trigger warning though.
keithallen chapter 25 . 3/6/2014
Something Wicked is right.
A girl is abused and screwed up in the head, so how do the'heros' handle it? CHOP OFF HER HEAD!
I can see what you were tyring to do, but this was an epic FAIL. While I agree that pedophelia is a vile crime, I do not think a proper responce is to kill the victim. Yup Terah got talked into trying to take 'Miss' villan's head, but to treat it like a normal eppisode of the game was complertely WRONG. And can't say Conner was any better. Congrats, you managed to turn him into a villan too!
And this is not a case of "That is so sad'. It's a complete travesty, and a big slap in the face of characters you're writing about.

I was enjoying this fic up til now. But now, it's over.
KitElizaKing chapter 32 . 2/17/2014
Your last chapter of this part of your sa'ga was wonderful. I grinned along with Duncan and Methos, and had more than a glare for Cassandra for the way that she still sometimes treats them, but I was impressed by her going to help Connor when he needed it, though I'm still not sure if I like her.
I think that you did a wonderful job balancing the story of all of the Immortals in the 'Highlander' universe, including those that were little more than visitors to it. Your explanation for why Kate did what she did shows her to be...I don't want to say 'fickle' but that's the only word that I can come up with. Despite her age, and her acceptance that Byron had gone beyond saving, she still blamed Methos for not saving him, and that seems a rather childish thing to want his death for.
One thing that really surprised me was Duncan and Methos exchanging swords, but I'm going to think of it as more of an exchange of tokens of commitment. It seems fitting somehow that they would give each other those things that were most precious to them rather than rings. Rings they've had a-plenty in the past, so why not their swords? I rather like that idea.
Thanks for such an exquisite exploration of this fantastic universe, I've enjoyed reading it, and sinking back into a cast of characters that I've missed so much. You've a true talent for them, and I must applaud you!
okami34 chapter 30 . 2/16/2014
oh sh*t, don't kill Methos !
My bad side would like to see Methos teach them a lesson in the blood

I'm glad you still continue this story. I didn't well remember it, so I just read again all 31 chapters. It was great. The evolution of Methos/Cassandra relationship is very well done.

Bravo, and puts the next chapter online quickly, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase
KitElizaKing chapter 31 . 2/12/2014
Oo...thanks so much for the warning up top. I managed to stop myself before I read anything that I didn't want to! Most times I don't mind a bit of a spoiler, but this time I find that I'd like to spend the next however long stewing over what was decided! heh heh
I loved Duncan's impassioned defense of Methos, and Cassandra's very gentle one. I know that she's often described as a bitch, and I don't particularly like her, but she is strong enough to tell the truth when it is the right thing to do. That, of course, brings me to Kate, and just what her problem is. It seems as if she really doesn't know Methos very well despite their long acquaintance-I hope that you'll take the time to explain just what has twisted her tail into a knot.
At the end, Duncan's silent calculations were very interesting, and I like that his friends knew him well enough to already anticipate them. Whatever will happen next has me on the edge of my seat and very anxious!
Thanks for another superior chapter. You really are one of the best writers of 'Highlander' fiction I've ever read. Your deft touch allows me to see them and hear my favourite characters again, which is a wonderful gift, for I do miss Duncan and Methos so much!
LizIs chapter 30 . 2/11/2014
Very glad to see an update! :) It made my day. Cassandra's testimony was very frank and beautiful. Can't want for the next chapter.
Parda chapter 30 . 11/20/2013
"Great Chapter!" - thanks!
"How did Connor lose his eye?" - In the Chapter "An Eye for an Eye", he fights with two mortals.
"Will it grow back?" - No.
"Where do these truth stones come from?" same place Rebecca's crystal came from
"And after Anamchara will you be starting on Mother?" Yes. Mother is already started, as is Phoenix. I'm hoping to finish them both in much more timely fashion than Anamchara, which has been in progress for more than a decade.

"The whole immortal police force thing sounds like a great idea, well better than the Game, but it lacks the checks and balances of the American Justice system." You're absolutely right; it's definitely a work in progress.
Guest chapter 30 . 11/20/2013
Great Chapter! I have a number of questions: How did Connor lose his eye? Will it grow back?
Where do these truth stones come from? And after Anamchara will you be starting on Mother?

The whole immortal police force thing sounds like a great idea, well better than the Game, but it lacks the checks and balances of the American Justice system. In order for this immortal police system to work you would have to have a lot of immortals invest in it for it to be fair. What happened to Methos is not fair and shows a major flaw in the system as it now stands. But if you could get a number of immortals to buy into this, and given the alternative of the Game, a lot of them would go for it.
KitElizaKing chapter 30 . 11/17/2013
More and more questionable content in this chapter. Just like that new group of 'watchers' that is in it's nascent stage, this group of Immortal police bother me greatly. There is too much room for corruption in it. Too much distancing themselves from the fate of their quarry, and much too much reliance on their procedures to lend them the authority that they will always do the right thing. The law works best when it is flexible and understanding, and holding Methos 18 months because of questions seems far too harsh to me. That more than anything else makes me distrust these tribunals.
I'm so interested to see just what Duncan is going to make of Methos now that he knows what kind of situation he's in. I'm sure he's wondering just why Methos didn't name him as witness, but he's a smart man, and he'll figure out that he was being protected. I'm looking forward to their meeting. Thanks so much for such a complicated and challenging chapter. Right now I'm like Duncan, withholding my decision and waiting to see along with Duncan.
Guest chapter 13 . 11/4/2013