Reviews for Sometimes It Hurts Instead
Guest chapter 1 . 2/25/2013
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

that was seriously beautiful. You have a LOT of writing talent and i loved this... write a longer one?
CinnaDevochka chapter 1 . 8/11/2012
I loved it! This is the first fan fiction I've read on this story and I think it's great. You did a wonderful job; definitely left me wanting more. I really DO ache for a Part II of Eli and Oskar's story, and you've momentarily satisfied my curiousity-great job :-)
sugar-cookie lover chapter 1 . 12/10/2011
... I wonder if you know that Eli is a dude... Probably not.
salty-sarah chapter 1 . 12/4/2011
I loved this (o: I think you did an immense job capturing the mood of the books, and the movie. I would have liked a little more certainty in the ambiguity of the beginning- what a description, certainty in the ambiguity. I mean, I would have liked you to make it more clear that Eli was Eli and Oskar was Oskar. I would have liked stronger perspectives from both of them, or at least something a little more clearly delineated; in your piece if feels like they wander in and out of each perspectives a little too often. It's as if we catch a taste of Eli's thoughts, and then without warning they switch to Oskar's. That's the only real criticism I have. Your mood and setting really served to highlight your plot. Lovely, lovely piece. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Sarah
uncommoner chapter 1 . 11/22/2011
Munt,

This is firstly, beautifully written. That always gets me, whatever the subject. Then it's well put together and edited, so I'm doubly impressed. That a writer actually takes the time to go over something and make it as right as it can be is a real gift to the audience.

Then the passion, oh my, the passion with which you take this subject and wring its meaning forth. I wasn't so enamoured of the movie as you were, but to be honest, I think that's because my mind was a bit closed off due to the subject material. I'm no fan of Vampire or Zombie material, so often my critical faculties are less sharp than usual. Having allowed the movie to brew, and seen the quite disastrous and inept American version, and going back to it, I see more of what it was about.

To the story, a beautifully written, tragic romance. I read the last third three times, and was confused. Eventually, I take the view that you deliberately leave it somewhat unclear.

A terrific piece of writing, about a subject that clearly affected you deeply. Thank you for sharing, I'm humbled.

brendan
ProjectOrion chapter 1 . 11/21/2011
Seems Oskar would have been a lot better off if Eli had just left after killing the bullies instead of taking him along. I don't think being a vampire would have been worse than killing for Eli and slowly drifting away from her. The hibernation mentioned in the novel is supposed to erase a lot of their memories, thus making what they do more bearable.

Though I don't see the ending happening this way at all, it was still well written and kept my attention all the way through.
RosieMac chapter 1 . 11/21/2011
Nice and spare, very atmospheric. Certainly a sequence of events that I could see happening to these two.

"Vikings on a raiding spree" sounds a tad like Jeremy Clarkson, but it's relevant to Scandinavia, so what the heck!

August in Sweden wouldn't have many hours of darkness, so not leaving much time for Eli's nocturnal activities, perhaps exacerbating the strains in the relationship?

All in all, another fine effort my friend.