Reviews for C'est la Vie
Rosawyn chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
I had a bit of a hard time getting into this, because there is no indication at the start who the speaker is. I saw that the two main characters were Samus and Marth, but it wasn't until she finally says "His stuff is gone" in the first line of the 5th paragraph that I realized it must be Samus talking about Marth and not the other way around. Maybe it I was more familiar with the fandom, it would have been clearer sooner, but even though I've played the games, I don't feel like I really know the characters very well. So, my suggestion here for improving this or any story that uses the first person is to put some sort of indication right from the start who the speaker is so the reader isn't confused and trying to figure it out.

Now, there is plenty of things that I did like about this story! :) I loved the characterization of Samus.

I think my favourite line was, "He didn't mind that when he asked me what my favorite type of music was, that I told him I didn't listen to any." Because that just seems so much like Samus, in my mind. That she's never had time to listen to music, to even think about what she might like. It's also such a powerful and tragic image.

I was actually kind of hoping she's meet up with Marth at the end, that maybe he'd hear what she was yelling to the sky. I felt sad that they couldn't fix things, at least not that we see here. Because to me, it seemed clear that they both still loved each other. I would like to see them work it out. :( And I think that says a lot about the quality of this writing, that you can make me care that much about a pairing I'd never considered before between two characters I hardly know anything about (despite having played the game they're in and watching my kids play it too)!

I will really have to check out more of your writing.
SparkDreams chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
This was beautiful. It's like even when you feel as if everything's broken and lost, there is still hope. Things might not turn out the way you want them to be, but that doesn't mean your life is over.

Time goes on.
Kyanite Eirian chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
So sad. :( And I'm still wondering what the title means... it was a good story, definitely going to add this onto my Faves.
MouseMaster42 chapter 1 . 12/1/2011
Another one! *squees*

Keep in mind when you read this that you know that I'm generally a fluff-loving happy-go-lucky "MARTHPLZ" fangirl when I review things, so I hope you know that there's a very important 'but' coming up.

To be honest, I felt like the style was a bit forced at first. The whole house comparison thing made me think of Inception (don't know why) and the idea of brawlers living in their own separate houses instead of being together never quite gels with me. Your always-wonderful turns of phrase that make me wish I could've thought them up were there, but they were buried and felt almost rushed, and I was sort of considering whether or not I would actually review because it really wasn't working for me.

But (here we go) on the 13th paragraph (the one where Sam starts talking about her cold personality and leads into Marth) the whole thing just fell into place. I don't know exactly what it was, but you did it again. Right away the mental images that you were giving me were interesting instead of confusing, and the style seemed to settle into itself and it all just clicked. Can't really think of any other way to say it.

From there on out, I had no more doubts. Even as I write this I have that weird feeling that makes your chest feel tight after you've read something that tugs at your heart. There are so many lines that were incredible and once again I wish I could claim a fraction of your genius as mine. X_x Alas.

But what really caught me was that you've managed to create a variation of the fluffy pairings that so often pop up on this site. You showed what happens when it's over, and it was heart-wrenching and I love how you did it without making it seem over-the-top. (As a side-note, because I love Marth: I loved the twist on his character XD)

So I applaud you. It's been awhile since I've read something that made me just sit back at the end of it and sigh. Not smile, really, or cry, just sigh. I am content. :) Long review is long.

BTW the author thing's been a long time coming. I just kept forgetting. XD Sorry about that.