Reviews for Lover's Comfort
cosmic-cube-keeper chapter 5 . 12/25/2011
Well written, love the characterizations.

As a few have already mentioned in their reviews, M/M fanfictions are rare in this genre, so thanks a bunch for sharing. I think you've made Stephen a believable character, and you've done well with some of the 'inner conflict' that can most certainly play out in any relationship.

I do look forward to further updates.
AmazingSoulWeasel chapter 5 . 12/16/2011
Late review is late. *derp*

Anywho, again, I adore the thought you put into your characters. c: Personally, I love using magic as melee combat feels very clunky to me and I'm way too slow to use a bow and arrow. xD Stephen's reason for not using it however, is very noble, even if it is a little sad that the past stop him from using something he seemed to enjoy so much as a child.

Also, I didn't know that about the elves and the Bretons. I always knew the Altmer in particular were pricks, I just didn't know it went deeper then their high and might, holier-than-thou, attitude. Thank you for enlightening me. :D I keep meaning to study the lore behind these games but... well, I'm lazy.

Final comment - the "Mum" at the end broke my icy cold heart. Thanks for that.
Eipok chapter 5 . 12/14/2011
Powerful chapter, indeed, especially the last paragraph. I can also now understand why Stephen is so reluctant to use magic. That said, I have considerably more trouble imagining why you don't like magic. Of course, I'm probably not one to judge, since:

My main character is a High Elf Mage, but he's also completely divorced himself from the elven theology and sees himself closer to the Dwemer than the Altmer, so he's actually got quite a bit of anger and distrust towards the Thalmor. He does the works of various Daedra when it suits him, and is on a friendly "first-name" basis with quite a few of them, but keeps himself detached from their politics. He's essentially a Mage-for-hire for anyone who has anything valuable (to him) to trade with, and his only real allegiance is to his pursuit of knowledge, and to a lesser extent, his College, for as far as it suits his interests. This actually makes him the ideal "Champion (read: tool)" for the PTB, since he'll do anything for any of them provided they want it done badly enough, and he always delivers.

He does whatever he wants to whoever he wants, so long as his actions don't offend his conscience, for no other reason than that he hates the feeling of guilt. Luckily for him, his conscience is basically just the equivalent of an Animunculi's core, as opposed to the brain of an actual organism. He's got no problem with murder, blood magic, flesh magic, mind-breaking, necromancy, necrophilia, slavery, or rape, and in fact the only thing he really does have a problem with is, oddly enough, dishonesty.

To top it off, he's an energy vampire that sustains himself on the dreams of the sleeping, thanks to a handy little agreement between the kindly Vaermina and himself, meaning he's immortal and his immortality is directly fueled by the suffering of others. He's pretty much as evil as can be without delving into Potema's "I keep cuckolded Daedra around for entertainment" levels of evil. Mainly because Molag-Bal an Sheogorath are too good friends to try to be an asshole to, as that would effectively be the end of his Sunday Morning Tea Time with Friends (in Oblivion).

So... yea... In closing, magic is deep shit and can drive a person literally to Oblivion in search of power. Perhaps Stephen is wise to stay away from it.
Eipok chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
I've been looking for a good Skyrim fic, doubly so for one with a m/m pairing, and I'm glad I've finally found one. Very well written, engrossing, cute almost, and with all the right attitude. I especially love how Stephen and Erik talk about the dragons. They are incredibly beautiful creatures.
Allen Rosebud chapter 5 . 12/8/2011
Amazing. Simply amazing. It's clear you put a lot of thought into your characters, and it's always refreshing to see authors creatively weave the lore of the Elder Scrolls series into their characters, like you did with Stephen's reason for not using magic.

Even though I'm not a fan of the whole M/M thing, I'm eager to see any more one-shots you have of these characters. There's a lot of creative energy here!

Point of Contention: I believe the provisional government is known as the Thalmor, not Thalmer.
LadySchadenfreude chapter 4 . 12/7/2011
I'll admit, for some reason I usually just can't read any stories about Dovahkiin. Dunno, they just feel like author avatars the entire time.

That said, major exception right here! I think what got me is that Stephen is a normal person, and he doesn't feel too idealized. I like the whole angle that he doesn't look or act like one would expect of the Dragonborn; hell, he doesn't even seem to think he does.

I also like how real Erik felt, even with the subtle differences between the way he and Stephen spoke. Going off the relatively small amount of in-game information and making a complete, interesting character is very cool. (And jealous!Erik was really well done, in my opinion.)

Anyways, I haven't met Erik in game, but I think I will next time I play. Great fic!
McGravy chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
I'm adding this to my list of fics to watch; your style is so clean and "simple", as others have said, but the depth is really deep for the economic use of words. It's good, solid writing and I'm enjoying it a lot.

The handling of the male/male relationship is tastefully done, as well.
Omega Gilgamesh chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
Okay, normally I avoid male/male stories, partially because I'm straight as a laser guided arrow so I can't empathize easily, partially because I haven't been around gay men enough to get over my natural uneasiness around male homosexuality, (slight anxiety around something you're not used to is usually natural, but descrimination is always a choice) but mostly because most of the ones I've seen were terribly written fantasies (Harry Potter/Dumbledore, Cloud/Zack/Sephiroth, ect.) but after reading the reviews, I decided to take a chance. Afterall, it's rare to see a story with more than three reviews which all are detailed beyond "cool story bro, update soon".

Holy crap, am I glad I took a chance on this one. This is one of the best written fanfics I've seen on this section of the website.
AmazingSoulWeasel chapter 4 . 12/5/2011
D'aw, poor Erik. Jealousy is a terrible thing. I'm glad his fears were proven utterly unfounded, though I do feel a little bad for Balimund. What a wonderful blacksmith he is, I dump all my unwanted weapons on him. Learn how to smith from him too. One day I'll be able to make that accursed dragon scale armour. :D

Also, I love Meeko and Vigilance. The dogs in this game are just so painfully cute, though I never take them anywhere with me because I'm always expecting them to die and then I'd have to hate myself. I also really appreciated the little bit of backstory about Stephen and Vorstag. Nothing catches my interest quite like two men warming one another's furs. Which is a nice turn of phrase by the way.

Anywho, I'm glad the misunderstanding was cleared up. Erik and Stephen are such a nice couple, even if a certain someone is only interested in showing how nice a couple they are behind closed doors (yes, I'm looking at you, Stephen). Thank you for writing and I look forward to the next chapter. c:
AmazingSoulWeasel chapter 3 . 12/5/2011
I really enjoyed this chapter. You write Stephen's inner voice very well, and it makes a nice change to hear from him since he isn't very talkative in the other chapters. He has a kind of dry wit that I appreciate, but its not laid on so heavily that it becomes stifling. There's just the right mixture of humour and poignance to keep everything balanced. c: I also really appreciated Stephen's reasons for returning to fight the dragons. Sometimes when I'm staggering through the civil war questline I get myself a bit muddled trying to figure out why I keep choosing to side with the Stormcloaks, but Stephen's insight has certainly helped put those thoughts to rest c:

Overall, I think this was a very good chapter, and I didn't catch any errors to bring to your attention.

Now then, on to the next chapter. :D
inactive17 chapter 2 . 11/27/2011
Oh, I love this! Your writing is great-clean, simple, but also very moving and heartfelt. I'm really interested to see where this goes. The foundation you've set already is wonderful, and I have to admit to loving a reluctant hero. Stephen and Erik's relationship is very sweet, perhaps because of its novelty-I only hope nothing goes wrong for them. (Have I jinxed it?) Anyway, lovely story, I'm very much enjoying it so far. :)
AmazingSoulWeasel chapter 2 . 11/26/2011
It occurred to me earlier as I was frolicking through Rorikstead, to check in on Erik. I didn't find him, and since I wasn't sure if he was an NPC or an OC I just went about my way. I think I'll head back there now to say hi. :D

I really like Stephen's background. c: It seems very realistic and believable, and makes me like him more as a character. His motivation for coming to Skyrim made me laugh, too. xD It's such a shame that both his mother and his sister-in-law are so... harsh, even if the latter does have a somewhat reasonable argument for not wanting him around.

Erik and Stephen's relationship is also quite realistic - particularly in the fact that Erik is willing to put aside his own morals to make Stephen happy. That's not a particularly healthy attitude, but given that theirs is a new relationship, I can see infatuation making Erik believe and say things like this at this moment in time, though I wonder if he'd have that same attitude after some time has passed. I think this could set a basis for some great conflict and character building in the future. c:

Also, thank you for the mention, and you're quite welcome. Once again, I look forward to seeing more.
AmazingSoulWeasel chapter 1 . 11/25/2011
Teehee :3

I'm rather delighted to find this story. I've been trying to find the motivation to write the next chapter of my own, and figured I'd see if there were any stories to my taste here for me to read and hopefully get me in the writing mood. There seems to be very little by way of M/M pairings in this fandom, even fewer which strike so many perfect notes with me (Dovahkiin/M!OC, manly men, Bretons, you name it). Your story not only has many of the qualities that appeal to me in an Elder Scrolls story, but it's also very nicely written.

The only thing I could see that could perhaps use attention is one point in the flashback, I noticed you used dialogue from both Stephen and Erik in the same paragraph. I'm not sure if that was just a stylistic thing, since I've seen that kind of merging in other flashback scenes before and you didn't do it anywhere else that I'd noticed. But I like my reviews to be at least somewhat constructive, so there you go. :D

Either way, I'm rather enamored with Erik's fantasies about what the Dovahkiin would be like, and your description of Stephen's fighting style (demented wasp indeed. :D), plus I kinda love Stephen all over. I have a thing for deceptively willowy anti-heroes. I hope to see more from you soon. c: