Reviews for Tis A Gift To Be Free
blackmare chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
This is just lovely. You've kept the difficulty of their characters (House's in particular) and brought out the depth of affection and need they have for each other. I'm here from a rec on Livejournal and so glad I followed the link.
hilandmum chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
I've missed this kind of House-Wilson interaction. You've captured their dysfunctional relationship quite well.

Thanks for this extra treat!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and are enjoying the weekend.

Mum
docZo chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
This was sweet; I enjoyed it. Thanks for writing :)
Torrant2 chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
Beautiful, an well written. I loved it.
Flatpickluvr chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
OMG, now that would be a thanksgiving to remember! What a wonderful story!
limptulip chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
What a great surprise and a wonderful distraction from watching my beloved Beavers struggle. House and Wilson share a strong friendship in this tale, its a sweet statement to friendships.
MissBates chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
Nearly skipped this coz it said 'Season 8' and I'm not watching it yet - I've decided it's better to be 'spoiled' than surprised by whatever TPTB have in store for us; it's a lot easier on my nerves. Anyway, so I nearly missed a story that's dedicated to me. Thank you very much.

Had to grin at House messing with Wilson's head half the time and basically messing with his own head the other half by not admitting to his own needs even as he picks on Wilson's.

'It'll be Clash of the Anal Retentives': Hah!

Good idea, to bring House's fathers into this, the biological one and the legal one, Thanksgiving being family time and all that. Besides, who honestly believes that House would let the matter of his biological father rest, considering that he thinks that genes are important? Wilson is percipient enough to notice one similarity, the retreat into uncompromising beliefs no matter what the cost. Wilson's 'Nobody is perfect' is more charitable than 'Everbody lies'.

'He'd always had sort of a thing for Emma Thompson anyway'

Oh, really? Who'd have guessed?

'Love, Actually' is our favourite family film and only lacks Hugh Laurie to make it perfect. 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is probably more House's thing, though. But then, as House discovers during the course of the weekend, the odd minor concession here and there really doesn't hurt. It can, in fact, be quite warming. (Yes, I noticed that apart from all the food there's a lot of heat being exchanged, one way or another - oh dear, that came out dirtier than I intended!)

Thank you very much for providing this optimistic little piece.
Evilida chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
I really liked this. Thank you for sharing it.
anon004 chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
First of all, thanks to Miss Bates for inspiring this lovely bit of holiday, I was going to say, "fluff," but, as is always the case with your writing, Brighie, there's way too much to unpack for this to be called fluffy.

Love that Shaker hymn. (If anyone wants to hear an masterful orchestral treatment of the melody, google Aaron Copeland's Applachian Spring. It was part of one of the more fruitful collaborations in American arts - Copeland and Martha Graham. And, it's an amazing piece in its own right - a composer taking a popular or folk melody and weaving into a complex piece of music, rather like Bach, who took a popular love songs as themes and created complex religious cantatas from them.)

Loved the inital back and forth with Wilson trying to convince House and House simply snarking back - I miss that so much on the show.

Love the use of the word "hoosegow" - it takes me back to my German immmigrant roots.

I have to tell you, I never thought of Wilson carpooling, but I can see him doing it, now that you write it. And House hating it, of course.

Sliced peaches in one hundred per cent juice," he read from the label. "Very nutritious. How long do you think it'll be before the can rusts and the contents spill out over my dead and decaying body?"

Let's just say it was a good thing I wasn't drinking coffee the moment I read that, or I could have burned my nasal passages as the hot liquid shot from my nose.

I love House saying "La, la, la." I picture him with his fingers in his ears, too.

"You'll drive each other crazy. You probably buy a totally different brand of spot remover than she does. It'll be Clash of the Anal Retentives,"

Okay, that was a "Thank God it was iced coffee" line.

And House and Wilson sharing a bed. Finally! I wish the show would get over its homophobia and let us see something like that. It's not like it has to be a night of wild passion, either. House and Wilson are basically an old married couple.

I like all the detail about House's leg and his pain. Remember when the show used to give us glimpses of that ocassionaly? It made House's anger, frustration and snarkiness more understandable and humanized him.

And then House feeling quite satisified as Wilson prepares him lunch and dinner. House really does want and need to be cared for, and Wilson likes to do that. It's somewhat more dysfunctional on Wilson's side, but it still works for them. Again, a very domestic scene.

It's House knowing exactly what people need that lets him know to let Wilson sleep a little longer. He doesn't mind exploiting Wilson at all, but he does take care of him, too.

I liked the little bit of backstory why House likes to sit in front of the TV when he's eating. Nothing like memories of the family dinner table to either warm your heart or ruin your appetite.

So, House went to see his father? I can see him hanging back and listening and concluding it had nothing for him.

And then, of course, they have to clash a little. House taking the purest approach to what's right and Wilson fudging a little (or, a lot?).

I love that line, "I don't think you're a mistake." Something that Wilson has figured out that House believes about himself. And then Wilson's backstory is funny.

"Wow, I should tell you the 'I'm a bastard too' story more often" Another great line!

Love the Emma Thompson reference and "sort of having a thing."

And then Wilson staying the weekend and House hoping he'll stay more weekends after Thanksgiving. Yeah, House, me too!

This was a lovely diversion, Brighie, thanks so much!
tailkinker.au chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
Ah, that's sweet :) Glad House had someone to share the holiday with, bet that was better than his last thanksgiving! Nice to see some ankle-angst... It's a bit sad that Wilson doesn't go home for the holiday anymore (wonder what happened there, unless he's lying to House so that he can spend it with House, hmmm). And...I really shouldn't read your stories before breakfast, they make me super hungry, and the food around my house is nothing like as good as in your stories :)

I was just bemoaning the lack of House&Wilson-do-thanksgiving stories this year, nice to see one from you, hope you had a great day :)
wild-parrot chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
I absolutely LOVE this! it's sweet and funny and clever without being contrived or out of character at all. they should do this on the show. (one teeny lil concrit; House does speak Spanish, he did in two or three epies.) other than that it was just terrific.
damigella chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
This was so beautiful and sweet. I'm only undecided whether I liked best the H/W interaction or the depiction of American Thanksgiving, which you make sound full of warmth despite the so many "WTF, Americans?" moments (the smallest turkey being twelve pounds tops the list).

And extra points for House looking at Wilson taking a mid-afternoon nap, only his disheveled hair sticking out from under the comforter. I just wish some visual artist could make an image of that (or, better, we could see it in the show).

Thank you.

PS I came hear faster because of a rec by knittywoman over at lj :).
harpomarx chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
That's sweet!
rslhilson chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
D'aww, I totally enjoyed this :) It was sweet but their banter was still wonderfully IC - House especially had some great lines. I usually ship Hilson but it was also really nice to read this as friendship. Thanks for a great post-Thanksgiving fic!
ax10gas chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
Enjoyed your story, you got their characters spot on.
34 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »