Reviews for Bannon & Zevran Bk I: Origins Ch1: The Grey Wardens
thinkdragonage chapter 18 . 3/27
I love Bannon so much. Watching him check in with each group member was very satisfying, and all of his reactions were interesting and entertaining as usual. He's wearing the mantel of leadership remarkably well, trying to balance the wants and needs of such a disparate group, with little help from Alistair, who should really be the one to step up and lead. (But I did laugh at his feathers comment).

The conversations with everyone else were great, too. And LOVED the demon squirrel. hehe.

But, I think my favorite part is Bannon's glee at having all that money (it's probably not all that much, but feels like it to someone so poor). Because OF COURSE the poor city elf is not going to be used to having coin at all. It was once again a very human and relatable reaction.

AND that's another story done! On to Chapter 2! By the title I have to assume that means we get some Zevran at last! :D
thinkdragonage chapter 17 . 3/27
I like your take on Loghain... this is all very good insight into his character and thought processes. At least he disapproves of Howe a little... but still, Anora is right to be angry about his alliance with such a despicable character.

It was a surprise to see a Loghain POV... I'm trying to remember though if you had one in the last story? You might've. Anyway, love surprise POVs! :)
thinkdragonage chapter 16 . 3/25
I didn't find any of this boring! It all flows together so well, and you packed so much into the chapter without slowing things down at all. LOVED the description of the dirt hitting the darkspawn's mouth, and also loved pretty much every witty observation Bannon had. I sympathized with him, too, having to wrangle with those party members. He's really stepping up though and doing a great job.
thinkdragonage chapter 15 . 3/24
It's a whole new dynamic with Leliana in the group. I liked her grilling Bannon at the beginning. And I love how Sten was recruited and how Bannon rationalized it. Makes sense to me!

I have to say I love all the teasing about Morrigan and Alistair needing to get a room... and that Leliana was shocked to discover they weren't lovers. LOL! Great stuff.
thinkdragonage chapter 14 . 3/24
So much great stuff in this chapter, but I think the best bits were the bonding moments-between Alistair and Bannon, sure, but also between Morrigan and Leliana at the end! If bonding is the right word for whatever negotiation they were doing there. But Morrigan DOES wear plum eyeshadow in game doesn't she?

That scene was great for showing Leliana's frivolous side AND her perceptiveness. And Morrigan's suspicions and curiosity shone through too.
thinkdragonage chapter 13 . 3/24
Where is Bannon going indeed? I really liked this look into the army's leadership and the tough calls they have to make. Bannon and Alistair are in yet another precarious position! They can't catch a break.
thinkdragonage chapter 12 . 2/25
These poor boys can't catch a break! I love the way you write Morrigan. She’s perfect. Hope the boys catch a break soon...I think. Watching them flail is pretty entertaining though.
thinkdragonage chapter 11 . 2/14
I love how mean Morrigan is in this...and I don't doubt for a second that she learned things basically the same way. Still, I feel guilty for enjoying Bannon and Alistair's foibles. The poor guys! But it's so entertaining, especially watching Bannon try to sweet talk Morrigan. And of course she's completely impervious to it.

They are going to be really happy to get to Lothering, I bet.
thinkdragonage chapter 10 . 2/13
Oh I love these poor inept fools so much. Their banter is fantastic, and their attempt to guilt Morrigan into helping them was both pathetic and hilarious. I'm glad the two have each other at least-it seems like the start of a great friendship.
thinkdragonage chapter 9 . 2/13
For such a sad time, this chapter was really funny. Bannon's discomfort around Morrigan, Alistair's slow understanding and Flemeth's cackling weirdness were all wonderfully funny. There were still twinges of sadness and desperation (I really did like that little moment between Bannon and Alistair) interspersed with the comedy, and I think it works really well. I just adore Bannon's personality-he's kind of adorable. (And his talking to himself...hilarious!)
thinkdragonage chapter 8 . 2/11
Oof, poor's such a horrible assignment and then it all goes so wrong. But, it's entertaining reading! I think I mentioned it before, but I really do love Bannon's attitude toward the king. It's very realistic - and his plan makes good sense, to ask for Cailan's help with the whole murdering Vaughn thing (though I chuckled at the other plan to just kill Arl Urien to cover up the murder). Too bad it's all for naught, after this!
thinkdragonage chapter 7 . 2/9
So I completely forgot to mention how much I love Bannon's strengths-his silver tongue for one thing, is so much fun to watch in action. And I about died last chapter at his Sherlock-ian analysis of the wooden chest the treaties were in-Elissa would have been proud!

The confrontation with Arl Urinal (that's the name, right? ;)) was a great twist, and I liked that Duncan both noticed and complimented Bannon's quick wit.

Anyway, this continues to be great. I like all the minor changes that FEEL really authentic-like Daveth being the one to talk the prisoner out of his key, but Bannon getting possession of it after the Joining. That works so well! You've made a lot of choices that have really added to the world building and grounded the story in some realism (oh yes, I imagine your tongue would be coated with the stuff, and then the potty breaks from before, too) that is always nice to see.
thinkdragonage chapter 6 . 2/9
I'm loving Bannon's personality so much. The whole caper with the demon had me cackling, and your description and writing of both Morrigan and Flemeth were spot on. AND you had a couple of fight scenes, to boot. This chapter did a lot!
thinkdragonage chapter 5 . 1/27
Wow, I'm in so much awe of your battle writing abilities. This was quite a ride, from start to finish! I loved everything about it. Jory's cowardice, the rapport between Bannon and Daveth (I love Daveth! Especially as you write him here), and Alistair's secrets. The switch in POVs during the battle scene was particularly effective.

And Alistair's joke at the end was a perfect note to end on. Well done!
thinkdragonage chapter 3 . 1/9
Ok, I'm really falling for this Bannon fellow! I meant to say before I love his confusion about Alistair-seeing him through Bannon's eyes (and his own life experiences and assumptions) is really kind of fascinating, but also quite amusing, knowing like we do that yes, Alistair really is both that easy-going and sheltered. I'm enjoying their dynamic a lot.