Reviews for A Host of Low Truths
Guest chapter 15 . 11/24/2014
LOVED THIS!
DeleteAbandonedDelete chapter 15 . 6/25/2013
Love this. Such a great take on S9. I hated what happened to Lucas. What a depressing end! Thank you for giving him some joy :)
cilepe chapter 15 . 6/19/2013
Allow me to say thank you for not killing Lucas. I have a soft spot for my Spook boys and they have an alarming tendency to pop off.
Guest chapter 15 . 3/11/2013
Wonderful, wonderful writing. This would have made an excellent season 9.
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 15 . 1/26/2013
Wow, fantastic. You do a convincing job of writing all the political / action machinations required to keep the story at the level of quality that the show itself has, so this felt like a believable handful of episodes. Aside from your technical skill, multiple-languages skill, and the clear breadth and depth of research that you've done (which is nearly unmatched by any other bit of fanfic I've ever read), you kept the characters in-character and still brought them to a satisfying conclusion. I liked how you cherry-picked bits of series 9 canon and still wove a compelling tale out of the remainders. Series 9 was perplexing and unsatisfying for me; I know that they couldn't have done your version of it, but how glad I am that you did! :)

The hurt/comfort plot could have fallen into clich├ęs and seemed forced, but somehow it never did. Lucas's solicitude for Ros as she recovered from her injuries felt in-character for him; her reluctant submission to it and her perpetual resistance to anything more felt in-character for her. I also liked how you slipped in many small, non-threatening moments of physical affection that never seemed intended to arouse, and thus didn't put Ros's back up. Her narration of them seemed to indicate that she just accepted them as fact and didn't dwell on them, but given who she is, of course she is hungry for a human connection despite never admitting it to herself. This long, slow, nonseductive approach really was the only way for anyone to wiggle their way in past her formidable emotional defenses and I really appreciated that they both spent the vast majority of their relationship honestly viewing each other only as friends. (Of course, we don't know what was going on in Lucas's head, but since he was with Maya for most of the duration, I had the impression that Ros was emotionally "safe" compared to Maya and any physical affection that he was showing Ros was at least initially only intended to comfort and calm her, not to arouse any sort of passion.) I liked how Adam continued to play a significant part in Ros's psyche throughout the story, even up to the end. He would always be loved and never forgotten, the memories part of who she was even as she made new ones.

So acknowledging love / mutual attraction kind of snuck up on both Ros and Lucas and felt right when they finally let the friendship become something more. It didn't feel forced or out-of-character.

Excellent work; very high quality in all respects; a complete pleasure to savour as I read it. Thank you!
lemonjapp chapter 15 . 1/21/2013
Great writing, so in character, keepingR and Lucas alive, brilliant brilliant brilliant!
spookie nights chapter 15 . 1/21/2013
I am glad the story went the way it did. Lucas North is a multi-layered complex character heavily tinted with grey. It was implausible to believe the absolute stone cold way of him being disloyal and betraying trust which contradicted everything from previous seasons.

I am very happy that the story here aligned to canon and made it acceptable with MI6 dealing things the way it did. Sticking her neck out - that's exactly what Ros is all about and the mistakes of his past is what Lucas's Achilles heels is.

I like Ros more than Lucas in this one here; she is in her element with all her complexities and insecurities, she becomes the embodiment of everything that Lucas wishes to be. She has overcome her own mistakes, decisions to be in a position that she is in thus sees what Lucas fails to see in himself. Sure, Harry has helped her to overcome her shortcomings and I guess its now her chance to fix something that's important in her life.

Also, the banter between the two has always been refreshing to see on screen and its commendable that Lucas here isn't over the top and stays within his minimalistic domain of snark and wit. Ros is a right match for him in this regard and he to her. It was fun reading that.

Thanks for this great story. I sincerely wish season 9 had ended somewhat similar to what you have here rather than taking an extreme step.

Wish to read more from you :-)
okami34 chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
I truly love this. I'm just a bit disapointed That Seem to be Lucas the true "Lucas North", I would love that John / Lucas has managed to play everyone and it was aware to the bomb without anyone know that, so he could be reinstated to the team (yes, I must be the only to love "Bad Lucas") . Anyway, your story was great, bravo..
moveinmysteriousways chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
Love this story, it's brilliant! You are such a talented writer and i love the way you portray my two favourite characters
Linda chapter 15 . 4/25/2012
I have just caught up with this story after being away. What a treat wonderfully written and a great ending so much better than S9.
lexie2 chapter 15 . 4/6/2012
It's so nice to have been away for a few months only to come back and find this little jewel. I loved every minute of it, and thank you for coming up with a much better and believable explanation of the whole Dakar story line. Oh, how I hated what they did to Lucas in Season 9!

You got everyone spot on, and gave us back the Lucas we know and love.

I'm off to reading your other work and hope this isn't the last Lucas fic from your pen.
Three Sickles Short chapter 15 . 2/27/2012
Love, love, love! I wish this had been Series 9.

And you're totally wrong that endings aren't your strong point. This end feels spot-on.
oceloty chapter 15 . 2/26/2012
Thanks for this story!

The story makes much more sense of Lucas' backstory (and the characters of Harry and Malcolm) than series 9 did. I also enjoy Ros' evolution throughout the story. It was a big journey for someone so fiercely self-sufficient to come to terms with her new physical limitations and to depend on others (Lucas, Malcolm, Ruth, and Harry).

I was as surprised as Ros by the Ros/Lucas ending, but when it happened, it felt so natural that I wondered why I hadn't seen it coming. As events unfolded, the story really sustained tension and suspense about Lucas' motives and the fates of the characters, but in retrospect, Ros and Lucas were moving towards each other the whole time. It took a lot of skill to accomplish all that.

Bravo! I hope you'll bring us more stories about Ros and Lucas being awesome.
VogueOn chapter 15 . 2/26/2012
So emotional, I really don't know how you manage to make it so realistic. It's as if there are two people talking in front of me! As usual loved the little details and their joke about the Jacuzzi. Much better ending than the one I had envisaged and much preferred.
Sparky75 chapter 15 . 2/24/2012
Wonderful end to a fantastic story, I've enjoyed reading it all! Some more great lines in this and I'd say a much better S9 storyline than the one we were given!