Reviews for Dusk
Tinuviel-luthien chapter 3 . 9/6/2004
Great descriptions, I love the conversation between Eol and Maeglin in the first chapter. Its really powerful!
Sweet amethyest chapter 3 . 11/1/2003
Don't be so hard on yourself, this is really good, it's so annoying when characters start doing things their way, isn't it? Oh well they usualy know what their doing, and they probably bossed Tolkien around too!
Aria7 chapter 3 . 5/6/2003
Oh cheer up I think this story is actually quite good! And definatly nice to read something from a young Maeglin's perspective.

Toodles!

_
Shirann chapter 3 . 12/29/2002
But...but... where's the rest? Surely, you can't just leave it there? Puulleeasse continue this! It's very well done. Of course, I'm biased towards anything with Maeglin in... but this one, I think, is exceptional. A job well done!
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 3 . 5/27/2002
I don't know why you were worried about this chapter - it reads beautifully. Poor Maeglin - how horrible to discover that the very thing you've longed to experience your entire life is in reality overwhelmingly painful to you. And it makes such a lovely metaphor for his entire life - his longing for light ultimately is what destroys him. Had he been content with the twilight, he would never have come to grief. Why does Tolkien so often show characters destroyed by their own striving towards greatness? I pity Maeglin - he seems to deserve a better fate than he got.
Deborah Judge chapter 3 . 5/27/2002
This is beautiful! The description at the end is quite powerful and evocative. 'For the fire that burns inside me is not of the sun' - what a terrible thing to realize. You show the descent into madness wonderfully.
Mouse chapter 3 . 5/25/2002
This chapter is so breathtakingly beautiful I had to keep reading lines over again. Such dense emotion...

"It is all the tears I have never cried and all the laughs I have never laughed that now come pouring out in an unstoppable flood of no sadness nor joy." - stunning.

"...and I stand not relieved, but vanquished under the white and golden light, for the fire that burns inside me is not that of the Sun.

And slowly my mirthless laugh turns into that of a madman’s." - So painfully blunt and yes! exactly how I would have imagined his reaction.

You make me feel so guilty for thinking him a nasty (but fascinating) coldfish. I'm going to die waiting for the next chapter.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 2 . 5/13/2002
Another very nice chapter - I'm very much enjoying this view of Maeglin's childhood, it's rarely been portrayed in fics. No wonder he turned out the way he did!
Finch chapter 2 . 5/13/2002
Please don't turn Maeglin into a child! The Silmarillion text clearly shows he was not, and the scene in Gondolin works best when he's an adult (unless you want to make him a kind of Dante who falls in love with a much older Beatrice...). Timelines made by third parties are not necessarily trustworthy.
Mouse chapter 2 . 5/12/2002
Wonderful! You keep me interested in a part of his life that didn't really intrigue me before. Maeglin's silent promises to his mother are beautiful. Well-written, with an ending that leaves me wanting more...
naltariel chapter 2 . 5/12/2002
Lovely. Poor aredhel. she is one of my favorite,(No i dont like Luthien like most of ppl). so strong, crossing the grinding ice, but fell into that darn Eol's trap and then killed by him. sigh... oh I DO hate Eol
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/12/2002
hm... you beat me. I am about to write his story but oh well, I AM HAPPY since I know you wrtie hundred of times better than me.

I like the way you capture Maeglin's anger over his father, its very in character. and Eol, yea, I hate him, and he is very in character too.
Finch chapter 1 . 5/10/2002
An Avarin Eol... I'm not sure, though the idea holds some appeal to me. Perhaps he was of mixed descent? (Ah! Another story...) Well-wrought, dark portrait of father and son. I particularly loved the line 'Your mother has no kin.'
Stephantom chapter 1 . 5/4/2002
Oh yay! A Silmarillion fic! And about Maeglin! I loved Maeglin from the first time I read his description, he's so cool. I felt bad for him. Of course, it's a little weird how he falls in love with his cousin later but uh... Anyways, poor Maeglin all the same. And poor Aredhil too. I can't wait to see more chaptes added to this one!
Mouse chapter 1 . 5/4/2002
yay, more Maeglin! Wonderful first chapter. Love the description of Nan Elmoth, the characterization of bright, young Maeglin. Keep going please!