Reviews for Totem
Bobboky chapter 1 . 10/6/2014
nice work
DyingInnocence chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
I am feeling an overwhelming urge to go back and watch all the seasons of Buffy again.

I simultaneously hate and love the stories that put a knot in my throat.
blue.rose.spobette chapter 1 . 5/24/2013
This was magnificently wonderful. I, myself, have a complicated relationship with Xander. There are times when I love him, and there are times in which he infuriates me. But I suppose that is what makes a character authentic - when they are realistic enough that you can be angry with them, but layered with so many other traits that you can't help but forgive them.

I love the way you describe each woman as you go, and the specific lesson he learned from every one. Once I realized the pattern of this, I actually went back and started over so that I could properly appreciate everything he took away at ever juncture of his life.

There were also several sentences that I chose to read multiple times before moving on, so that I could ensure that I not only understood their meaning, but FELT their meaning as well. Because you write in such a way that every line conveys an emotion, and I didn't want to miss a beat.

I think my favorite section was either the Joyce one or the Anya one. The Joyce one was particularly poetic, because her circumstances of death were devoid of any tangible villain or evil. And the poignant way in which he realizes that even science can present as a villain is beautiful. And also the way that everybody grieved in such different ways. This line, in particular, was one that I read several times: "he learned that loss could not be shared; it was as unique as a fingerprint and as personal as emotion." Beautiful.

And Anya's, of course, was wonderfully worded. I love how you highlighted her authenticity and the fact that she never censored herself. I think you really dug into the root of what made Anya "Anya", and simultaneously fleshed it out to Xander's understanding. This was my favorite line about her: "that naïveté could be as charming as it was exasperating; that life was a collection of experiences which should be tackled with enthusiasm; that censoring yourself for the sake of your loved ones was inauthentic." Anya, right in a nutshell, a description so succinct, yet moving, that it may as well have been extracted from Xander's own brain.

And I think most of all, it's incredible that you were able to convey such a powerful message with so few words. Truly. You did not belabor your points with idle rambling or filler. It was straight-forward and explicit, much like Xander himself. Absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing this.
Yusuke Urameshi - Mazoku chapter 1 . 3/17/2012
This was such a good. I'm even a little emotional now b/c it brought up all the thing I felt way back when I watched the show when it was air fir the first time
Hugo V chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
That first sentence, "-his life would be defined by exceptional women." Is worthy of an actual novel. This is one of my favorite fanfics of all time, and I'm proud to have read it.
jack-mick-la chapter 1 . 12/1/2011
This was so beautiful it gave me chills and made me cry. Thankyou so much.
Roxie i do byte chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
but willow never dies ether anyway i love this story i cried a lil
Lucy's Echos chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
That was wonderful, I love ir, it had me tearing up