Reviews for Life Starts at Sixteen
That Guy chapter 1 . 12/6/2014
Its a pretty good story, and i like how you're adding a more mature facet to the Naruto world. But on the soldier at 12 thing being ridiculous, I think that The leaders of the village were in times of war, and if you're really sadistic, onE could Argue that the inexperienced child could take a hit for a more experienced ninja.
Axcel chapter 1 . 10/21/2014
Oh, and about the brain development you mentioned in the Author's Note at the bottom, that reviewer is wrong. In one of my college courses, it was explained that the decision-making and self-control part of the brain, the pre-frontal cortex, is not fully developed until roughly twenty three years of age. That was an interesting lecture.

Also, children are just as capable of learning and thinking as adults. The problem with child soldiers is that you have to teach them every little thing because they have no experience even in a simple, everyday environment. This means that, while most of them have adequate cognitive skills, that doesn't help them when they have next to no information to use it with. Take first year Harry Potter and his friends, for example. Children that age really are that intelligent. It's just that they lack the experience simply living to find nuances that older people take for granted.
Axcel chapter 1 . 10/21/2014
In real life, fourteen to sixteen (usually sixteen, depending on level of skill) was when ninja would first be fielded. Well, unless there was a mission that needed a child, then they'd just pick the most mature of the bunch temporarily.
TheWickedTruth89 chapter 1 . 9/13/2014
Interesting start
the darkness of a shadow chapter 1 . 8/8/2014
heh, huge tracks of land.
ALL HAIL MONTY PYTHON!
Igornerd chapter 2 . 8/3/2014
Did I spot a Discword reference in there?
Igornerd chapter 1 . 8/3/2014
You know, I've always asked myself the same things.
Why the fandom doesn't discuss more about the whole concept of child soldiers is something I can't really understand.

The chapter was fun though, and I like the concept behind it.
Loved the scene where Hiruzen slips about Minato's life.
Iryelb chapter 15 . 3/20/2014
This is a great story, I had some discrepancies but the only one I can really remember was that Naruto somehow got drunk, and had a hangover, only a few chapters after you had said that alcohol only had a placebo affect on him. This is only a minor problem because I really like this story, like how laid back Naruto is about perversion and being pranked, really his whole outlook on life in general. I like the serious tone you've taken with the story, although I was wondering why Naruto hasn't looked into wearing weights, after all Naruto is pretty smart and he knows that he heals quickly and that Lee, who doesn't have his advantages, wears them and has gotten very strong and fast by, assumably, wearing them. So it stands to reason that he would at least consider it, I never understood why cannon Naruto never wore weights, especially after meeting Lee and finding out how fast and strong he got by using them. Great story, please update soon.
Guest chapter 15 . 2/11/2014
An amazing story well written and with an interesting concept I'm sad to see no updates for so long I hope to see updates again, if you need a beta let me know at
toofine89 chapter 15 . 2/1/2014
Great story here. I really like this Naruto. He's not evil or whiny, weak or OP, and your Sasuke even seems likable. Also a fan of the Kyuubi you made. My big thing is how knowing about Madara could impact the plot.
toofine89 chapter 8 . 1/31/2014
So far I really like the story. It's cool to see them a little more mature but still the same people, though I'm not sure I can see Sakura backing down from the prank as well as she did. Meh, that's minor anyhow. I like the whole crew of friends that Naruto has and I'm looking forward to the C-ranks.
Yachi98 chapter 12 . 1/13/2014
The first thing that I want to say is that I'm really enjoying this story so far. Having older (and more mature) characters really does make more sense than sending children on missions where they may be required to kill. I am curious about how the timeline works though. It seems that the Uchiha massacre and Naruto finding out about Kyuubi happened at the standard ages compared to cannon (when they were 8 and 12 respectively), but why did it take four years longer for Tazuna to make his bridge (other than the need for it to be in the story of course). Also, since I can't seem to look at a Morse code message and not translate it, I think you mistyped a couple of the letters. You have Aas/detained/status/nreen when I'm guessing you wanted Was/detained/status/green. Nobody else in the comments mentioned it, so I figured I would just in case you cared.
Skykitsune chapter 8 . 11/4/2013
Shino actually talking, and the line about hornets. Priceless.
AlekTas chapter 15 . 9/9/2013
Fantastic chapter, love it.
AlekTas chapter 6 . 9/9/2013
Now I know I have not read the entire thing, since this is only chapter 6, but I still think I would like to leave a review because of some things that I was thinking about. Let's start out by saying, that I really enjoy your story so far as it contains a good story, great penmanship and well thought of ideas.

However, you speak as if you want to avoid most fanfic traps, ie. doing what many fanfics have done because it is easy and/or because it has been used repeatedly. Now in this chapter I find something I generally dislike reading.

When we talk about ninja's and the militaristic view present in Naruto we kind of adopt it to be more intense in a lot of fanfics, to give a better sense of realism (though to say it is, is still bonkers). Reading how that automatically means, that female shinobi work a part-time prostitute (or however else you wish to phrase it) bothers me. Now, I am not a woman so don't think this is some kind of feminism thing, but it just seems... way out there. In real life as well as the Naruto story people have always been able to say no to a mission. It might be, that having a kunouchi do that may be helpful, but it doesn't mean it can't be done differently, and to say that they are being forced to do it atleast once is just a bit... freaky.

Logistically it means you will scare off a hell of a lot of potential candidates. I mean if people knew that would they be okay with their children going out there to do something like that? Sure when they are genin you can't do anything about it, but you concemn your eight year old daughter to do it at some point. If that were true, you would not have the normal team combo of 2 guys 1 girl, because there just wouldn't be that many. Especially Ino or Hinata. Let's take HInata as an example. She is the heir to a very wealthy, prestigious and great clan. They view normal people as beneath them, yet one of their most important members is being whored out for the sake of a mission? No way. And Ino's parents are ninjas, they know what is in store for them. Her dad even has a high level position, so they don't need the money or glory in it.

As I previously mentioned there is also the strategy involved. Yes, it might very well be easier, but it is not the only way. It is never the only way. Give me any case where you might think it is so, and I will see if I can't find some other way of killing the guy. Also, you pointed out the things about accidents. If people know that ninjas specialize in this, and a target suddenly dies after having sex with someone, they might very well draw the right conclusion.

It is not because prostitution/seduction (whatever the hell you want to call it in this case) bothers me all that much, even though it does in a way. It is mainly because people automatically thinks that they are unable to reject a mission, and as such there must be even greater sacrifices from the girls.

Now, if you haven't got an idea in your head about using this in any real way I would suggest not using it, because it deteriorates an otherwise great story. You will seriously ruin a girls physche no matter what some people might think.