Reviews for A Part of Growing Up
snakeboy33 chapter 1 . 1/15/2012
I agree, while I have no problems with Cheetara and Tygra being the primary romance, it was underdeveloped, and out of nowhere. The writers gave almost no indications that Cheetara had any feelings for Tygra, and made constant indications about her feelings for Lion-O.

The execution of the romance was rather poor, and I never felt that invested with Cheetara's relationship with Tygra to begin with. While the episode before did give us some indication, it can't hold the entire weight of the relationship, and it needs more substance and support.

Maybe what the writers had in mind was that with this, they could develop Lion-O some more, since we all know that Mumm-ra can and will exploit this to no end, but again, they can't sacrifice other character development for that.
SewerSurfin chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
This almost exactly how I envision Lion-O reacting to seeing Tyrga and Cheetara. I can just see him running off in upset/anger...more upset at Tygra than ever before...GREAT story! I hope you write more!
Catsy N chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
I disagree that it was poorly excecuted. In fact, subtle, blink and you'll miss them hints had been present in almost every episode you just have to pay attention to it instead of wondering how Lion-O Felt when Cheetara pressed her tits to his back a couple of times.

I admit the whole Tygra/Cheetara romance was rushed like hell and that's what makes it seem too odd for most people. The revelation could have used at least two more episodes of build up.

Then again, Xialoin Showdown did the same with Raymundo and Kimiko in their series finale, so it's not like there's no precedent in cartoons.

Anyway, Lion-O gets to have the super-sword and the cool magic gemspowers, so it's only fair Tygra gets the girl.

Abot your story, I liked it, it's well narrated, your grammar is very nice and it is pretty emotional. It's good stuff. Good job _
Andy Wong Fey Hong chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
Hi,

I must say you hit the nail on the head with your last comment. I was also deeply disturbed by the sudden out of the blue choice of Cheetara for Tygra. I will admit that I was rooting for her to choose Lionel. From the start I knew they would be a competition for her. But what really makes me fucking angry is that the damn writers think they can do a romance in two damn episodes with absolutely no buildup prior to that.

As a matter of fact, I think prior to that flashback episode of Tygra and Cheetara's youth (what the hell was Tygra doing as a guard anyway, a cub no less), there seemed to be every indication that she liked Lion O more, subtle though it may have been. (right from 1st episode)

So you are right, it wasn't the fact that Cheetara or Tygra that irks me. It is the damn idiotic writers who think character development can be done in 2 episodes.

Damn, forgot about your fic. On to the review after my rant. Needless to say it is very well written and describes perfectly what one feels when heartbroken. (been there myself) Again you are right. Except for the throne and the sword, Tygra seems to do everything to make Lion O small. Well, almost everything. If you notice too, some episodes are inconsistent to Tygra and Lion O love for each other. Most of them portray as Tygra loving Lion O regardless of birth, but the last episode turned both of them into prima donas.

In addition, your addition of Ahnet into Lion-O's rage was very well done, even incorporating the elephant forgetfulness, in the end he still managed to give very sound advice to Lion done, well done.

Long story cutt short, great one shot. Sigh, I just hope next season they give the story a little more subtance instead of the superb special effects. I also feel tha producers are still confused on whether itshould be an anime or a saturday morning cartoon.
Amethyst Jewels chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
I think this is a very accurate, spot on reaction to what Lion-O would feel. Now since we have to wait until after the new year to get the rest of the episodes, I think your fic is fan canon! Haha! Please continue it! :)
Bronwynn chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
Well done! I would love to see you do a one-shot of what happens the next day when Lion-O, Tygra and Cheetara are together for the first time.
anny rae chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
Meh, the writers said Lion-O and in turn the audience would be misled. It definitely could've been better developed. Perhaps not being sure of its reception and of limited eps worked against it on this point. I think you've done great in capturing Lion-O's feelings here though. It's solely from his perspective and although he hears what Anet is saying, it hasn't sunk in yet. And it won't, probably not for a little while. But eventually he'll get it. Lion-O still feels himself a victim and to a point yes he is, but I like that at the end we see the start of him really 'fighting back' even if just to show Tygra that he can't be hurt so easily. The first step for Lion-O to get out of that habit isn't necessarily physically striking back, but emotionally building himself up first, which will then be manifest in his actions.
kcrane chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
Excellent story I would love to see a Tygra POV, if not once again this is a great story.
Heart of the Demons chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
Great characterization from Lion-O. He DOES feel hurt about Cheetara and Tygra being a couple. It isn't a betrayal, but he thinks it is. That very last minute in the "ThunderCats" mid-season finale shocked most of us fans. Come next year, Lion-O's rivalry with Tygra will be renewed. Anyway, awesome one-shot!