Reviews for Square One
Soap Lady chapter 10 . 12/6/2014
Glad to see someone who remembers GLaDOS is a complex character and not a cackling villain. Well, not all the time. Great story.
Matt561 chapter 10 . 1/9/2014
This was great, thank you.
swartzvald chapter 4 . 7/30/2013
Wasn't All Quiet... a silent movie?
Quantumphysica chapter 10 . 6/7/2013
I loved this story. Simply loved it.
It's one of the first Portal fics I read, but I just couldn't help but adore your portrayal of the characters. GlaDOS is hilarious, and Blue and Orange are just so sweet xD
As I said, awesome read!
Turtlepower2012 chapter 4 . 5/23/2013
First time reviewing this story. I was too into it that I forgot to review the other chapters. Oh well, better late than never. I really enjoy this story, better than other pre-portal 2 stories. I've always liked a story of Chell/GLaDOS friendship but this is the first story I read where they actually talked about their problems and what they did wrong. Most of all this is the first story I've read where GLaDOS actually apologizes and I love it. You stayed true to her character while she apologized and it worked perfectly imo. I absolutely adore mopy GLaDOS you gotta feel sorry for her too. Anyway great story so far and onto the next chapter.
Vercinacox chapter 10 . 1/13/2013
I agree with you on how GlaDOS had grown by the end of Portal 2, and I loved loved LOVED this story I haven't read anything in... almost five years, story wise, due to RL and all that, and this really helped kindle the fire, so to speak, to read and maybe even WRITE again.. So thank you! :D
Vercinacox chapter 5 . 1/13/2013
This is just fantastic, thought I should pass that along :)
Rubrik chapter 10 . 12/11/2012
Amazing story! I actually was tearing up a bit a few times, especially during the farewell chapter. It would be amazing to see a sequel about this story. Great job!

One question, though.

So, does that mean that Chell goes to college in Aperture where GLaDOS is the "Professor"? That would be interesting and funny as hell.
palomino333 chapter 10 . 11/29/2012
Chell being homeschooled by GLaDOS? That's interesting.

It's cute how Chell brought back the rocks to show Blue and Orange. It's almost as if she's a little girl again, exploring the world around her.

Well done on this fic, my friend. I'm glad to have read it. :)
palomino333 chapter 9 . 11/29/2012
That hug at the end was so bittersweet, and I loved GLaDOS' little nudge!

This definitely reminds me of any mother animal driving her offspring away when they're too old, especially since GLaDOS, as you stated before, is like a mother to Chell, albeit a corrupted one.
palomino333 chapter 8 . 11/29/2012
I'm glad that Chell will finally be able to integrate with other humans like her, but I can't imagine how difficult that would be for her.

Nice touch with closing the book on Caroline's story. Too many fics have her still sentiently existing within GLaDOS, which makes no sense.
palomino333 chapter 7 . 11/29/2012
This chapter is so strong. It was really gripping for Chell and GLaDOS to sing together. Both ladies have a strong will to survive, and as a result, can see just about anything through to the end.
palomino333 chapter 6 . 11/29/2012
Oh man, to think of GLaDOS in that condition, especially after she had jsut regained her seat of power at the end of Portal 2...Not pretty.

I still find it interesting on how she still insists that she is right, that her intentions to be charitable to Chell would have barred her from testing in Blue and Orange's place, and that was what she wanted. For a queen, GLaDOS is quite childish, since she is still trying to be contrary, even though she will kill herself if this continues. Ironically, Chell's there to help her.
palomino333 chapter 5 . 11/29/2012
Wow, that conversation between GLaDOS and Chell was well done! Both had very good points on the topic of morality. What makes me wonder, though, is if whether or not GLaDOS would have behaved differently, had she not been completely sentient upon immediate activation, rather, what if she was only partially sentient, but her sentience continued to build until full over time?

Poor Atlas and P-Body. This will be quite difficult for them.
palomino333 chapter 4 . 11/29/2012
...You...You...You used All Quiet On the Western Front, the film based on my second favorite book of all time?! :D MY DAY HAS BEEN MET!

I really like the dynamics between Chell and GLaDOS in this. What really made the scene between Paul and the French soldier from the film that you used click here is the man and machine motif. There's the years-old argument as to whether or not humans differ from their mechanical creations, and given that GLaDOS is acting quite human here (being paranoid, actually admitting she's sorry), that really drives it home.

Also, nice touch with the hug. Chell made GLaDOS admit she was wrong, but she didn't take advantage of it. It really ties into the fact that Chell is used to not having her own sort of power, so she relinquishes it when it is given to her.