Reviews for Water of Life from the Fountain of Death
darkorangecat chapter 2 . 2/26/2012
This poem can be read in both directions (not an easy feat).

I like the use of alliteration as well as personification.

I really like these lines:"Thunder Claps/Raining Metal,/Death; Destruction" and "Fire and Fury/Grace the Sky."

The three, four, four three syllabic count does give the poem a regular rhythm.

The use of capital letters, as though each line is a title, is interesting. It does draw attention to the words.
darkorangecat chapter 1 . 2/26/2012
I like the lilting canter of the poem (rather like the fall of a horse's hooves - rather fitting for the content) as opposed to a regular rhythm established by a set syllabic count. This reads almost as a historical account, perhaps as a bard from of old would recite about an epic battle fought and won.

In particular, I like this set of lines: "Nor grieve for many a lost friend/Who from their valiant lives were cast" - it's the way the lines roll off the tongue as read aloud more than imagery.

Great, strong ending with the final two lines, they seem to counterpart the opening lines so that they could be read as thus: "Alas my brothers, heralded now unto time/ Remembered always as greater men...No longer need ye fear gods' wrath/For all that we betrayed in war."
Dark Gear chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
Just wanted to put my two cents in. Involving the rhythm, I didn't really find any problems with it, but then I have in fact read it in sort of a death dirge, like vikings or scottish would use.

I enjoyed it actually quite a bit, and hope to see more. I sort of pictured an old sangheili penning the poem and flashbacks happening of the Human-Covenant War, the flood infestation and then an outline of Hood and the Arbiter shaking hands, with clapping in the background for the peace being brought.

Well done.